1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread EFL Trophy Semi Final Sky Blues v Chairboys 07Feb17

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Talk about a game of 2 halves. Undone by another own goal. If WD had got there a split second earlier it would have gone for a corner. A split second later and it would have gone out for a throw in. How unlucky can we get with these own goals?

I'm sure Mike would have come on to congratulate us if we had won. Like **** <laugh>

2. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

You have to let him have his little moment of pleasure it doesn't happen that often <whistle>only when he meets up with the sailors in Harwich

Ron likes this.
  3. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

As for the game we pretty much bossed it apart from a 30 min spell in which they scored their goals can't begrudge them their trip to Wembley for the first time since they won the FA Cup in 1987 and they really hate their owners even more than we hatted Steve Hayes

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought for the first half we were pretty clueless and didn't look up for it as much as they were. Weston should have scored which could have made things different. Second half was a different game with us piling on the pressure from the ko. What a difference Bayo makes to the whole team. There was a sudden change of attitude, winning balls they wouldn't have won in the first half. Amazing. Like you guy, certainly wouldn't begrudge them their final. You could see what it meant to the players and fans.

5. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

What we so desperately need and I'm sure Ainsworth will consider, is a target man that has some years left on the clock.
    Bayo has been a revelation, probably more than I could have ever hoped, but he is reaching the tail end of his career and can't cope with the Tuesday / Saturday schedule. We have a bunch of ageing players which I think he will need to address this summer.
    As Ron says, when he brought on the beast, the game changed. I do fully understand wh he rested some players first half though

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. Too risky starting players carrying injuries. Could have totally ruined any chance of promotion. On paper it didn't look too bad, given 6 changes from Saturday, but they just didn't play as a team first half. However, I was moaning like hell before the ko when I noticed the absentees, bearing in mind it was a Tuesday evening on TV

7. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Bayo does change the team a couple of games I have seen this season the two FA Cup games Pompey & Chesterfield away he was unplayable in both games he makes a hell of a difference

8. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Adebayo Akinfenwa is an absolute beast of a player, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. In the cup match at Fratton Park, he was almost unplayable.

I wish Paul Cook had signed him instead of Michael Smith, who struggles to win most balls in the air.

9. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Yes Wooperts our positions would certainly be reversed if you had signed him Cook seems to stick with players he has already worked with