1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Eljero Elia shows support for Saints Foundation in anti-racism campaign

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Feb 26, 2015.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

It has always amazed me that with Southampton being such a diverse city that there are so few supports from other ethnic groups
    There has been an increase in Japanese supports probably due to Yoshi playing but stood under the Northam/Kingsland stands there is a sea of white faces
    If you look at many other clubs supporters there is far more of an ethnic mix....why?

Archers Road likes this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't know, but is it related to the ethnic mix. Apparently subcontinental Asians are less likely to play football which could have an effect. I would hope no one felt they couldn't come, but I suppose it takes confidence to go somewhere where you see no one else like you. Difficult to address at the moment when seats are hard to come by, but could be improved if we had a bigger stadium and were able to give free/cheap tickets to school and youth groups.

4. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

What l will say in favour of our club is that having a wife who is Ugandan, l have never sensed any resentment about her colour, In fact l remember the first ever game l took her to in 2007 and l observed a quiet conversation among the stewards outside the stadium about who/how to ask about checking her hand bag. It was carried out in such a polite and courteous manner; complete respect to the staff. I have to write my wife was so bemused by the request at the time! Thankfully we are not Chelsea...

5. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Shows how good news is no news. This thread almost disappears while Dani's sex romp attracts comments like flies!

This is a great story. Shows the lad in a good light; it's exactly the sort of image I want for my club and begs the question where is Rodriguez?(Fran 's original point, but a bloody good one)

The multi cultural crowd issue is not simply a Saints problem. In places with far greater numbers of ethnic minorities, there still tends to be a predominantly white crowd. But I am proud to say I don't hear racist abuse at SMS. This is sadly still not universally true.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There was a time that women wouldn't go to a match in any numbers, not because they couldn't go, but because it looked odd and wasn't female friendly. Now you see women and girls happily going to a game...advent of seating helped. Sadly, also related to single parent families...my son wouldn't have gone if I couldn't. Hopefully, the same will happen with other ethnic groups, but (as I said) will be hard to promote when seats are so limited.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The perception still persists that many football fans are unreconstructed, uneducated white hooligans. While this is no longer the case (much), it's still the impression held by a lot of black and asian people, particularly those of my generation. One of my oldest friends, a lifelong Tottenham fan (I know, but he's a mate, what can you do) still won't go to White Hart Lane because of the experiences he had as a youngster being one of the only black faces on the terraces. His daughter goes quite often though, so there's hope for the future.

8. jenthesaint1990

jenthesaint1990 Well-Known Member

in itchen north there's a huge family of indian guys with their wives and kids. the lads always have their indian cricket shirts on during the world cup and stuff. but yeah, football is still predominantly a white/male thing.

9. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member