1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymjools, May 29, 2012.

1. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

They are nearly upon us, what do you think our chances are, and which teams do you think will do well !

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hi Gat-Po...From where i am sitting on top of the Rockies no one seems to care..The Mountain Goat i spoke to didn't even know it was on..

Down in the Valley i have to buy an English Paper, of course the computer helps and we do get all the games on TV...i seem to know more about Argyle than the Euro's..
    Another Mountain Goat asked if Canada was in it...i had to explain...
    Keep me informed back home...

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's hard to look beyond Spain, who have Ireland & Croatia as make-weights in their group plus the usual major tournment culprits Germany and Holland as the main opposition isn't it?

I didn't like what I saw from England last Saturday at all.

I don't rate Carroll on present form and the culture shock of switching between his aerial style and that the greater sophistication of Welbeck [if fit] during the course of a tournament is too horrible to think about. When will an England manager decide on a style of play based on his best 11 and then pick a squad of like minded players that can be easily interchanged rather than just picking the best 23 even if they are 23 misfits?

There's no Aaron Lennon who terrorises Premier League full backs every time he takes to the pitch. Instead we have Stuart Downing who's done nothing for Liverpool this season and Oxlade-Chamberlain, who must be more of a World Cup 2014 candidate than Euro 2012. Did we learn nothing from the Theo Walcott debacle in 2006? Lennon is fit is he? I have no idea why else he'd be left out of the squad.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

BC please take a little more water with you favourite tipple.....talking to the goats can be misunderstood.......you'll be compared with the Welsh......and what they get upto in the mountains with the sheep.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Hopefully make the knockout stages...but who knows.....England was'nt hot favorites in '66.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

England look and seem to be low key and possibly beneath the radar as a possible success story.......but England have one big asset....Ray Hodgson....who has seen it all before over many years and done well with lesser players in international football......just maybe ........the right approach and with good luck and few injuries might surprise a few people.........on the other hand they might not do very well.....because Roy hasn't had them long enough to iron out their bad habits.

7. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Good advice Plym

8. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

England? Don't we have a team GB?

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's the Olympics Mrs LaLa.........who would get into an England team from the rest of the UK anyway for the Euros.....Gareth Bale maybe.

10. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I love it to be England who win the Euros but in my opinion while we are still playing the same old Prem players we will never get much further than the group stages. We need players who are proud to put on the shirt, who play with fire in their bellies, and whose ego's are not bigger than their actual talent ! As for team GB it will be interesting to see the ratio of players from the different countries that make up the UK. Like Plymborn Gareth Bale is the only player that stands out for me and he comes from a principality !

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There always be an England.......hows the tune go...........or Land of hope and glory.

12. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

That should be our national anthem Plymborn !

13. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Oops sorry, assumed you were talking about the olympics as everyone else is doing right now and failed to read the title.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You are forgiven Mrs LaLa.........you have been a busy bee of late.

15. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Some people think our chances (if we ever had any) have waned with so many players out through injury but most of these players have had their chances in the past and although top performers for their own clubs do not peform well when playing for their country - for whatever reason that may be. A blessing in disguise then perhaps to get new, younger players in who are maybe more inclined to do well for the national side.

I actually think we stand more of a chance with new players in.

16. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I dont rate England at all for this tournament...

Not to sour it but our weak link again will be Glen Johnson, once again I failed to identify the reason for his inclusion. No clue defensively and poor in attack. I know Kyle Walker is injured but why not take Micah Richards? His team won the Premier league this season and he is a tough tackling RB, which we need.
    But no. Once again a player who is unlikely to wear the England shirt as he refused to be a standby player. Shame.

The only other worry is Andy Carroll. Ok he started scoring late on but 6 Goals in 30odd games? Come on Roy.

Anyway rant over, I'm just glad I got Holland in the sweepstake, not Spain but they at least have some chance.

2014 will be the one for the next crop of players.

To face France our best chance would be:

Hart

Jagielka at RB
    Terry
    Jones
    Cole

Walcott
    Gerrard
    Parker - The only player I feel has impressed so far.
    Young

Defoe
    Welbeck

17. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

One look at Micah Richard's robust style would have Euro refs polishing their reds cards for all they're worth I fear.

Is it any wonder Engalnd can't achieve anything now that strength and bravery have been outlawed from the game?

18. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've said this before but I just can't get excited about this tournament. A load of millionaires with no heart. Well apart from our goalie. Lets say England have never had any balls. Oh hang on we had that Alan the ginger one for a few years. Well I can't get excited anyway. I watched a load of kids on the beach in Satander playing football and it was quite entertaining watching people who actually cared and that was a sort of mini kick about.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Didn't you sign them up sensible.......or at least tell Carl.

Sensible keep your head down for a day or two.......Mrs LaLa's beloved murraymint got beaten by one of your Spanish mates awhile ago.

20. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can get even less excited about Tennis plym.