1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Exits from the club

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Apr 23, 2024.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Sam Finley apparently said his goodbyes on social media this weekend according to the WDP, heard on Saturday that Marquis is training with Doncaster and Anthony Evans is off to Bolton at the seasons end.

I think Evans will be sorely missed if this rumour is right but I am not surprised by either Finley or Evans wanting to leave after the way Taylor has slagged off the players because of the team performances.

2. old timer

Anthony Evans got Rovers player of the year award and Jed Ward young player of the year at last night's presentation evening, with the respective awards for the Gas Girls going to Rianne Bourne-Hallett and Helena Costa

Full list of awards on the Rovers Web site

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  3. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I’ll be gutted if Evans goes but I can’t blame him if he does.

I’m still not convinced that Taylor should be given a summer transfer budget.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Evans still has 1 year left so of he goes, hopefully we get a fee. A new deal has been offered though I think I read somewhere.

Bluebaldee likes this.
  5. old timer

According to the WDP Taylor is hopeful he will extend his contract with Rovers, with the retained expected to be released on Tuesday of the coming week

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think Taylor needs to build the side around the likes of Evans, Sinclair and Thomas. There's a question mark around some of the more injury prone players, but I would keep Rossiter, because he and Conteh could be a formidable defensive midfield partnership. I would look to the lower divisions for some up and coming strikers tbh. Martin's great to have on board, but we need some pace and aggression up front. I would persevere with Connolly and Taylor at the back, because they're quite experienced now. I'm not sure about Wilson, and Hunt's been another one who's too injury prone. Continuity has to be the name of the game next season. Get a settled side asap, and work hard in pre season to get everyone really fit so they can hit the ground running and keep the injuries at bay. Under Taylor, it does feel as though we could be in for a relegation battle next term, but I hope I'm wrong.

old timer likes this.
  7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Next season will be a tough season. Yeah we have lost Portsmouth and Derby through promotion but we are gaining Rotherham with Evans in charge will be a tough game and it looks like Huddersfield will be joining us. And 1 from Birmingham, Plymouth, Blackburn and Wednesday will join us too. Then add Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield who will be tough games as well.

8. old timer

Retained list has now been published

7 out of contract players are leaving this Summer
    Sam Finley, John Marquis, Josh Grant, Lewis Gordon, James Gibbons, Harvey Greenslade, Ryan Jones

Chris Martin, Jerry Lawrence, contract extension by 1 season have been triggered and new contracts have been offered to Scott Sinclair, Jordan, Rossiter and Luca Hoole

Retained list James Connolly, James Wilson, Grant Ward, Luke Thomas, Connor Taylor, Jevani Brown< Anthony Evans, Kamil Conteh, Luke McCormick, Jed Ward, Matthew Hall, Jack Hunt, Kofi Shaw. all under contract. with the above offered new contracts or extensions a total of 18 players.

7 leaving along with the 6 loanees

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So that means we have worse case scenario 15 players (plus academy players) but could be 18 players if 3 sign new contracts that's been offered.

2 keepers
    Jed Ward
    Matthew Hall

4-5 defenders
    James Connolly
    James Wilson
    Connor Taylor
    Jack Hunt
    Luca Hoole (new contract offered)

7-9 midfielders
    Grant Ward
    Luke Thomas
    Antony Evans
    Kamil Conteh
    Luke McCormick
    Jerry Lawrence
    Kofi Shaw
    Jordan Rossiter (new contract offered)
    Scott Sinclair (new contract offered)

2 forwards
    Chris Martin
    Jevani Brown

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

A lot of work needed in the summer to rebuild.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Twitter message from Sam Finley...

My time at @Official_BRFC has come to an end, what a ride it’s been, I’ve loved every minute of it. Massive thank you to @Joey7Barton & @waelalqadi for bringing me to the football club. To the staff, players & everyone involved at the club it’s been a pleasure working with you. Last but not least to the fans that promotion season will stay with me forever your support home and away didn’t go unnoticed, it’s been an honour to captain your club.

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

From Harvey Greenslade...

Since 7, I had the dream of playing for Bristol Rovers and I am so grateful that I could I say I was a player here. Thank you to all the players, staff and especially fans for all the support during my time at this club. I will never forget these years. Forever a Gashead. #UTG

13. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

It’s a bit of a stretch to describe Jevani Brown as a forward!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.