1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fitness thread part 2

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, May 29, 2016.

1. Fifemackem

Fifemackem Member

Doing the Great North Run this year (and potentially London Marathon next year).

Did the GNR run 4 years ago and managed to drag my arse round in 2 hrs and 57 secs!!! Had targeted to go below 2 hrs, so I feel it owes me. The only snag is that I'm currently 2.5 stone heavier than when I last ran it! (I was 3st heavier 3 weeks ago.)

2. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

That's why I run to rid the stresses, even though icebergs move faster, need to lose at least 20lbs though!

3. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I played squash for years and thought I was fit (and compared to many I was) but I really wasn't - whilst its fantastic for short explosive movement it never really toned me up or did much for my stamina. It also ruined my knees for a while.

I'm with you on the gym work though - its ok in winter or when I'm getting close to an event and the weather is bad, but god its tedious staring at the same wall for an hour or so. If you're looking to get seriously aerobically fit then you need to get outdoors. When I first got in to fell running and hill cycling I thought my lungs were going to explode - I never really got out of breath that much playing squash and like most people I was only really using a small amount of my lung capacity. I'm much better now at running but cycling up really steep hills still ruins me.

If you've never done it before start off just walking and get off the pavement and in to the hills. There's a great little 5 mile walk at Roseberry Topping near Stokesley (assuming you're based in the NE) which also takes in Captain Cooks monument and has two really sharp little (250m) climbs - great scenery and a nice little shot of vitamin D. Much more interesting than the gym!!!

salad fingers likes this.
  4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I can't think of anything worse than just running, it bores the life out of me, whether I'm on a treadmill in the gym or out in the elements running up a fell.

I can do a 20 minute circuit in the gym, that pushes me far more than I'd push myself outside on the road doing my best Forrest Gump impersonation.

I hate endurance stuff, I can never see a valid reason to go and do it.

Riever likes this.
  5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Off to the gym in about an hour or so. I will be doing mainly cardio exercises, but will be complimenting this with weights using relatively light weights and doing lots of reps. It is all about losing weight for me at the moment and I'm determined to reach the weight loss targets I have set myself.

Teessidemackem and Billy Death like this.
  6. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I have no problem at all with this - I love what I do and it suits my lifestyle, you love what you do and it suits yours.

We are both pushing ourselves, moving our goals, getting fitter and hopefully staying away from the NHS waiting room whilst actually enjoying the challenge.

It doesn't really matter what you do if you want to get fit - do something, commit to it and do it properly. It will only ever work for you though if you enjoy what you are doing.

MrRAWhite and TEL like this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

Do you use a personal trainer mate?

8. Tel (they/them)

That's the top middle and bottom of it. <ok>

9. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

No...I'm a naturally self motivated person once I get my teeth into something so no need for one. They also cost a lot of money which also puts me off.
    I do take note of some of the personal trainers methods though and do copy them sometimes.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. Tel (they/them)

Most of them are ****e anyhow mate.

There's a few simple rules to stick to for fat burning with weights, if you ever hit the wall PM me, I'm cutting now, so doing pretty much what you're doing, although my cardio is worked into my weight training, with Kettle bells and calisthenics etc.