General Election June 8TH

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Theresa May is going for an election to 'strengthen. her hand....so she reckons.

Trouble is there are a multitude of reasons for people casting their vote in so many different ways.

She could come unstuck....win the election yet weaken her Brexit negotiations in the EU if she doesn't get a clear message from the people to do it her way.

The EU will hope she doesn't strengthen her position after June 8th....this could get messy.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

VOTE SHEZA!!!!!!!!!!

You keep clutching at straws plym you'll be ok don't worry. After several completely unbelievable votes so far recently I will state here and now that if May doesn't get a huge majority this time becauswe Corbin is a joke then I will leave this planet at the first opportunity. Even if I have to hi-jack the next Mars mission by force.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Active Member

Remainers of all party allegiances in the traditionally non-conformist South West have a chance to give May a bloody nose by voting Liberal Democrat and reversing the big swing from Lib Dem to the Conservatives down here last time around.

Unfortunately the full horror of what's likely to happen to agriculture and fishing subsidies and to an extent the holiday industry through restricted seasonal immigration aren't yet clear, but then, that's why she's chosen to U-turn in favour of an election now.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Lib/Dem's present policy in to disrupt the Government of this country for Theresa May and her Cabinet making the country ungovernable.....that must be touching on the edges of being a treasonable offence.....Tim Farron their leader is turning into a ranting hysterical cry baby.....who they need to replace as soon as they can....to give the voters a reasonable alternative to Tory/Labour dominance.....but people haven't yet forgiven them for supporting a Tory government for five years

5. notDistantGreen

Incorrect. The Lib Dems are the only ones seeking to restore Parliamentary democracy, which is what I thought the Leavers preferred to alleged government by diktat.

If May's already small majority can be reduced, then Davis, Letwin and Duncan-Smith can yet be brought to heel by the moderate majority.

May forgets that David Cameron had a reasonable expectation that the majority of Conservative voters were Remainers. This led him into the huge mistake of allowing a referendum. However, although the referendum was lost to a rag tag mob of Conservative extremists, superannuated Empire day-dreamers and motley racists from all major parties, he wasn't wrong in essence. It won't take many sensible Conservative voters to either not vote or, in Con/Lib Dem marginals, to vote for the latter rather than the former, to undermine May's position. They can do this in the knowledge that whatever happens, we won't see a Labour government but we can hope for a hung Parliament in which May can't throw her weight around.

I told you the country could become ungovernable at the time and we're seeing some of that now in Scotland and potentially in Northern Ireland, where an open border may prove more important than remaining in the UK. She's called the election and hope she'll face a very justified backlash.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Active Member

What about that Goat Corbin, he has no chance and ,may as well resign now before he is tossed out... I will vote my usual.. no change from me.. Not a farron fan, is he related to Rory :eek::oops:

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I actually think the last election is an irrelevance to this one. This election has got nothing to do with who backed who then and I don't think the voters this time will be looking to punish anyone. I think they will be shocked, that is a lot of them anyway, at the way the Referendum ended up and will now try to vote the best way for the next stage they didn't want. Or have grown not to want at any rate because if there was another vote I believe it would be to remain. I doubt anyone will punish the Tories because now somebody has to negotiate leaving there is no way they would let Labour anywhere near it. As for the Libs I can seen them making a comeback to be honest. Everytime I hear Farron he sounds quite passionate and doesn't pile on a load of crap to his argument. Plain speaking if you like and a lot of people will like it for a change. UKIP are the ones who will disappear and sadly it will be a year too late. Safe to say the only way I definately will not be voting is Labour. Anyone having a punt on the Monster Raving Looney Party this time? The way votes have gone mad of late World wide would anyone be shocked.

8. notDistantGreen

Exactly - and moderate Labour Remainers who don't like Corbyn have also have the possibility of switching to the Lib Dems, who, being the only ones opposing the Tories at present, probably better represent their views than the far left cabal now in charge of their own party.

I admit I'd be voting for them only as a protest vote against Brexit but at least I can accept the Lib Dems are decent, well meaning people evem if I don't agree with a lot of their actual policies!

I see it's already been noted by the pundits that the South West is likely to see a swing back to the Lib Dems.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Well who can tell what will happen as its a mess. Politics around the world is all over the place, Brexit then Trump.. what next? Bring back Maggie :emoticon-0146-punch

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A Conservative party Information Officer Suzan Walsh has been exposed distributing a widely shared fake image of Jeremy Corbyn on Facebook.

It shows him on a door step canvassing a women who seems to be putting two fingers up to him.....in fact she was actually putting her fist up in support for him....but the picture has been doctored and shows two fingers up in front of him instead.

Clean fighting tactics from the start I see.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Clutching at straws for an excuse before the start I see.......:grin:

12. notDistantGreen

I see Corbyn has promised to repeal "vicious" anti union laws, presumably being those requiring union leaders to obtain a mandate from members before calling strikes.

He has to look after his mate McCluskey after all. Mutual back scratching all round.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Also a big back hander :emoticon-0150-hands:emoticon-0164-cash:

14. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Leader of Team Rocket
    Forum Moderator

Voting Liberal to hopefully get Flick Drummond out of Southsea. Parachuted in like so many MPs she knows nothing about the area and has done bugger all since arriving.

15. notDistantGreen

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I just sat through the BBC News and if that was a film it would have a great big X rating. I listened to a load of white middle to upper class twonks and their half brained ideas. That was this Country. Then there is that complete fecking idiot in Yankee land. Not to be outdone now we have Marina Le Pen in France to contend with. The whole political world has gone completely and utterly bonkers. Then you see the latest story about Africa and see the kids with skinny arms and legs laying there dying and hear the story of one woman who has travelled miles and miles to get away from troubles only to bury 7 kids and a husband on the way. She literally has nothing left. An idea might be to send all those prats out there with nothing but the clothes they stand up in and see how they get on. Absolutely fecking tragic stuff and even brought a tear to this gnarly old git's eye. And yes I know if we gave them everything they would be back to this state in 10 years so it solves nothing.