1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Giaccherini will be part of his re-modelled Capital One Cup Final strikeforce

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Makemstine Roger, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Gus Poyet has confirmed that form man Emanuele Giaccherini will be part of his re-modelled Capital One Cup Final strikeforce – and dropped a strong hint that the Italy forward is in line for a surprise start at Wembley.

Sunderland head coach Poyet is ready to make major changes to his forward line after growing frustrated with his shot-shy attack and is considering throwing Steven Fletcher – who returned to full training on Monday – back into the mix.

But it is the potential presence of Giaccherini, who Poyet feels has finally adapted to the demands of his system, that really piques interest ahead of such a big game. “He has got more opportunities for many, many reasons,” he said.

“The first is because he has played at the highest level with Italy so he can cope with the emotions and because he’s been pushing more lately.

“He knows a little bit more what we need from him and where I think he should be playing. I know where he wants to play as well so there’s a little bit more of a clear picture. He’s got a big chance. I’m sure that either starting or playing, he will be part of the final. It would have to be really strange not to be part of it.”

Although Poyet threatened to rip up his team-sheet in the aftermath of Saturday’s thumping defeat at Arsenal, realistically there are few positions that are available in midfield or defence. Up front it is a different story with the form of Jozy Altidore making him particularly vulnerable.

Poyet could throw Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini a curve ball by including Ignacio Scocco or Fletcher, who has timed his return perfectly for the Wembley build-up. He said: “Fletcher’s good, he’s trained two days and he’s available. Fletch is available – what a time for him to come back, no? Fletch and Aguero – the two are available, it’s no difference.

“I will see how they all are this week because it’s a long week when you play Sunday. If there’s any problems it will be at the end of the week.” Poyet will have to disappoint several of his loyal squad men on Sunday with Altidore and Santiago Vergini set to drop out of the team that started at the Emirates last weekend.

The Sunderland boss accepted that his selection call will be one of the hardest of his career and will inevitably leave some of his players hugely frustrated. In a bid to temper their disappointment he will be taking the whole first-team squad to London today as Sunderland start their preparations for the League Cup final in earnest.

Poyet will delay naming his team until Saturday lunchtime but feels that the players will probably have worked out who is playing by then because of the routines he is working through in training.

He said: “It’s going to be an interesting selection, and there are going to be a few players who are going to be very frustrated on Sunday. But that’s why you have a squad. If you want to have a chance at any level, you need to have 23, 24, 25 players, which means that six or seven are going to miss out.

“When you have got everybody fit apart from Westy, who has a long-term injury, and one cup-tied player, Liam Bridcutt, it’s going to be tough.

“It’s a part that I don’t like in football because they have all done something to get in there. They have played a part in the games or they have trained every day to make the team better and more or less everybody deserves to be part of it.

“But it’s not possible, so we are taking everybody down, we will go all together so. We are going to have the experience all together, and then we will see.”

Poyet – who loaned Connor Wickham (pictured below) to Leeds United yesterday – says there are still places to play for in his cup final line-up. Having seen a reaction from his stars to their walloping in North London, he expects them to be ready both mentally and physically for the challenge by the time Sunday rolls around.

“Well, we have got better things and we have got a few decisions still to make and there are a few players still fighting for their places.

“There are plenty of things in my head at the moment, yes. But we have been training and we have been doing things for the game, things I hope can work, and we are still not ready.

“But we have a few more days, so I am sure we are going to get close to the best form to play the game.”

2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

If that is a hint that Altidore is not playing, I reckon that is a plus...or is it a bluff cos' Mr Short want the USA striker in the WC to get plenty of games?

3. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

That's absurd

4. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

top team managers have this problem on a weekly basis ,sentiment and all that goes out the window they pick a side to do the job ,after this weekend every game should be treated in the same manner as a final

5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Jozy has already been guaranteed a place in the USA squad for the world cup.

6. password invalid

if fit ?

7. Brian Storm

Mannone

JoS-----------Brown
    Bardo---------------------------Alonso
    Catts

Ki---Colback

Johnson------------Giacc
    Borini​

God I've been screeming for this team for months. Please let us line up like this.

8. Brian Storm

No, even if he breaks his leg in a car crash. Of Course if fit. <laugh>

9. JustMeMan

JustMeMan Well-Known Member

That line up looks good to me marra

10. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Fit yes; in good form...?

11. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

I'm slightly worried over Ki's form. Hope he is back at it on Sunday.

12. password invalid

could argue hes not fit for purpose

13. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

This isnt even 0.00000000001% relevant in Gus Poyets world mate. Short does not pick the team in any shape or form.

Great news if Giacherinni and Fabio start imo. We need technically gifted players on that huge playing surface and Fletcher as the secret weapon to come on later.

14. password invalid

15. Brian Storm

It only a yard bigger in length and width than the stadium of light

16. password invalid

also for good measure fletcher is not a secret.......lol

17. password invalid

this what mark lawrenson said,

Sunderland beat City at the Stadium of Light in November but Wembley is a big pitch and, when you are playing against a good side, you think it is even bigger because you end up chasing the ball.

another one who dont know the facts about the pitch and hes getting paid not to know ,,garbage

18. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

I think the fact that Wembley always was a heavy pitch and sucked the very life out of the legs if you were chasing games and I think thats the where the term 'big pitch' first originated from, rather than dimensional size and the new surface seems to have inherited the same characteristics.

I think for once Lawrenson is correct to say that teams that chase the ball around at Wembley inevitably lose over the 90 mins. We have to be intelligent as well as hard working as its easy to burn out after 60 mins and lose by a margin. I think substitutions will be critical on Sunday and whoever masters that may well tip the balance.

19. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

It's still 11 v 11 and having Giacc in ours is a bloody good thing. Why he's been sidelined is beyond me tbh...

20. Brian Storm

He's been struggling to grasp the system apparently, but has worked hard in training, hasn't grumbled and improved massively.