1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand National

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by 55282, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

They have lowered the fences and changed the way they are constructed. They used to have a wooden framework inside the fence. This has been change to a flexible plastic that is much more giving. They have also improved the landing area in fact a lot of work has gone on. The most important thing is that in the whole three day festival no injuries to horse or jockey which is long overdue. But the one thing that causes all the trouble is the going if it is firm or what they call top of the ground injuries to Jockey and Horse are more common. When it is good to soft or soft very few injuries. Maybe they should look at that next.

55282 likes this.
  2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

You were robbed. Wayward Lad had retired when Desert Orchid won.

Your thinking of Dawn Runs Gold Cup.<ok>

Newportswan likes this.
  3. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

They have made a lot of changes over the years but for a lot of horses it don't go far enough imo and many more fans of horse racing......The horses safety is paramount and many receive injuries just jumping higher than normal fences. I would love to see them lowered more across the board and the amount of runners should be dropped to a maximum of 20......

4. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

You are right they tussled in the King George. Well spotted I was aware of it as soon as I wrote it memory is a wonderful thing.