1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guide to how to surround referee.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Mar 29, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2015/03/how-to-surround-a-referee-a-comprehensive-guide/

Found this funny, but also annoying. Some players' behaviour is disgraceful. I think refs should adopt the Dog Whisperer technique: no words, no eye contact, point where you want them to go, and make a sharp noise (Tsk being the most useful). If all else fails, an electronic collar should do it....now that is a piece of technology I'd like to see introduced. :)

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Good photo. Uriah Rennie just went up in my estimation..! <laugh>

please log in to view this image

fatletiss likes this.
  3. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

We all heard Gary Neville's comments during the last round of Champ League matches where he complimented these type of "tactics" saying that to succeed in Europe teams have to adopt these cheating ways.
    Ummm

4. TheSecondStain

Back in 2009/10, I remember Alan Pardew being asked about Markus Liebherr and what kind of chap he was, and one of the things he mentioned was that ML wasn't enamoured by the Saints players surrounding the referee on every decision that went against them. The consensus of the studio was that he'd learn. Well, he didn't learn. Saints players have learned that they don't surround the referee. It is a club policy that surrounding the ref doesn't happen, and incidentally, that was mentioned by the MOTD pundits only a few weeks ago, and they applauded it.

All it takes is the will to do things the right way and it can be made to happen.

garysfc likes this.
  5. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Very well said.
    Football need the general media to salute teams who don't & chastise the teams that do. That in itself will make it easier for the ref's to issue a card as well.

6. SouthNorfolkSaint

I remember seeing that interview too. The whole club was being redirected from above and I always suspected that Pardew was let go on the basis (well one of them at least) that he was/is a little too much "old school" when it came to management techniques and approach to the game,But I doubt whether we would have got so far so quickly if he had stayed.

7. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I remember the other comment from Pardue being that he was asked why Saints committee so many fouls (we did in L1) as it wasn't considered "Saintly":)

8. TheSecondStain

Stumbled over that interview mentioned earlier:

9. fran-MLs little camera

Hasn't Pardew aged since then...amazing what a few years at Newcastle will do. :)

10. TheSecondStain

Yes, I noticed that too. Mind you, between 2009 and 2015 he's hit and passed that critical age of 50. It tends to be a slow decline for even the most youthful looking of blokes after that.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Jeez Fran, if he reads that he'll have himself booked straight into the clinic for a stretch and touch up!

12. fran-MLs little camera

That is why God makes your eyesight go....look in a mirror and you've gone all soft focus. That is the reason I am lovelier with every year that passes...and if I squint I am even better. :)

13. TheSecondStain

About 20 years ago I read somewhere that 50 was the new 40. Recently I read that middle age doesn't start until someone is retired [no kidding]. I'm getting younger by the day..! Certainly looking younger. I don't wear specs and I'm not going to start. :D

14. fatletiss

I'm 46 this year and was slightly disappointed after a recent eye test that they said I don't need specs... I was imagining a pair for work and a red framed pair for matches

#accessorize

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

Depends what your eyesight problem is... my distance vision has improved with age so I no longer need glasses to drive.

16. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I have worn glasses since I was 11 (I am 45 now). Over the last 2-3 years my prescription for distance has gone down, though I do occasionally borrow my 51 year old wife's glasses for reading now. However, the Kindle is the best invention for avid readers as I can increase the size of the font :)

PS this has to stay an anonymous forum as a divorce would be on the cards for declaring her age :)

fatletiss likes this.
  17. fatletiss

Now I know that, I bet she finds your musical tendencies a little strange :) I bet she's far more hard core musically than you (and me)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

You're "So True" :)

19. fran-MLs little camera

Strange that a thread about referees has turned into a discussion about eyesight:rolleyes:

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Quick, what other well-known referee characteristics can we bring in before Tom notices?