1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Harry Maguire

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by FosseFilberto, Jun 15, 2017.

1. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Alright lads?

First off, commiserations on the relegation - you were always going to be up against it with the situation as it was at the club before the season even commenced - but you did give it a pretty fair go,, all things considered.

Being reported today that a deal for Harry Maguire is all but done. Whilst personally I still find it a little unpalatable for players to jump ship immediately after a relegation (after all they share some part in it happening) it has become a common occurrence in modern day football. No brainer that we need additional quality at centre back - Huth and Morgan now have a combined age of 272 - so would be really interested on your thoughts about Haqrry Maguire. How good is he? or not? <laugh>

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

He's very good and has lots of potential.

I think he's better than Gibson who people seem to rave about. He's a premier league centre back with the feet of a classy midfielder. Wins headers, makes big tackles, decent positionally. If he had another half a yard of pace it'd be the top 4 coming in for him.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  3. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

He's large.

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  4. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Aye, he's a big ****er wit shovels fuh'ands n feet, with a bonce tha sarze of a melon.

Howden Tigress and Kempton like this.
  5. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Walter sums it up perfectly. He's miles better than Gibson. In my opinion on a par with Keane. He's got the lot - he's without doubt the best ball carrying centre half I have seen for quite a while.

I'm surprised if I'm honest he's gone to Leicester. No disrespect to Leicester at all, but he could have done better. His style of play is well suited to Liverpool and Klopp, given how **** that club is defensively I'm surprised they didn't look at him. He reminds me of the job Hummels used to do for Dortmund - Carrying the ball out of defence. He's really comfortable on the ball and he's a natural leader, he started out life as a midfielder. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go straight into your defence- he'll make Morgan look like a Sunday league footballer.

If his development continues he'll only be with you a season or so as I genuinely expect he'll end up plying his trade for a top 4 team.

He's good, he'll have to adjust to his new side. I look forward to seeing what sort of career he goes on to have from here.

6. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

I think part of the attraction is that we will have likely guaranteed him first team football ... and there is no disresopect ... but times have changed, although it won't necessarily have been noticed outside of Leicester - apparently we are now the 19th richest / valuable football club in the world (according to Forbes) ... above Everton! <yikes> ... that puts things into perspective ... it's rumoured that he will be on £80k a week with us... which I suspect might have helped his decision to join <laugh>

GLP likes this.
  7. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

Hard
    Aerial
    Runs the length of the pitch
    Rips in
    Your gain

tigercity and Howden Tigress like this.
  8. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Gets bullied too easily by that nasty Theo Walcott.

Building 7 and THE EXCLUSIVE 10% like this.
  9. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

He's a beast who comes out with the ball.
    My favourite moment of his was taking out 2 QPR players with a tackle, winning the ball & carrying on.

10. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

I'm more surprised United didn't go for him, he's the ball playing centre back that Jose loves.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Either or. Klopp loved a ball playing centre half at Dortmund - that's why I'm pretty amazed they didn't come calling.

My lads favourite player - so he'll be gutted again. Welcome to life as a City fan. A roller coaster of ups and downs.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  12. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Some slightly over the top comments on here, his marauding runs up the pitch are very entertaining and we all love him for doing them, but they pretty much never lead to anything, as he generally ****s up the final ball.

He is good with the ball at his feet, he's brave and a good all-round player who will no doubt become a fan favourite, just as he did with us.

13. GCTiger

GCTiger Well-Known Member

He's **** end of!!....we've had your pants down!

The thing that impressed me most last season about him is that he's found his voice in the BPL....really took the captains armband on and made it his own.

14. Mr G. Raff

Mr G. Raff Active Member

He is a man mountain with twinkle toes feet, a great player who will only continue to develop in the right hands. As you can tell he is a favourite of mine and i hope he really does well with either you or where ever else he ends up.

GLP likes this.
  15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Ignore OLM. Arse and elbow springs to mind.

16. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

I think he's good, he's no world beater and if I was the opposition manager I'd instruct 3 players to swarm him as soon as he looked like bringing the ball out of defence. Get it off him and the defence has a gaping hole.

He managed to bring the ball out with so much success last year because nobody expected it, it's quite easily countered.

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting a five minute highlights video that confirms exactly what I said. <laugh>

18. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I don't agree. He's skilful, that's why he was successful carrying the ball out. He didn't 'accidentally' get into the penalty area against Manchester United. You don't achieve that consistently because the opposition aren't expecting it. You achieve it consistently because you've got good feet and can beat a player with the ball.

19. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It confirms nothing of the sort. Stick to flogging clothes.

20. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

People will look at his size and his languid running style and say that he's slow, but he very rarely if ever gets beaten for pace. He's a good all round defender who excites the crowd with his marauding runs.

PLT and bum_chinned_crab like this.