1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Have Radio Humberside done one?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jul 31, 2017.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Hull City AFC is pleased to announce a new radio partnership deal with Viking FM for the 2017/18 season.

please log in to view this image

The deal will see Viking providing exclusive full-match commentary for all 46 home and away Championship games and additional cup ties.

UK-based fans will be able to listen to all the action live on Viking 2 on DAB and 1161AM, while overseas supporters will be able to listen through Tigers TV - full details of which will be announced soon.

The deal will see Viking and Hull City AFC collaborate on charity causes, promoting fundraising and awareness for the WWF and cash for kid’s campaign. There will also be exclusive competitions and content for Viking listeners.

Paul Corrigan, Viking FM Station Director said: “Viking FM is very proud to be working in partnership with Hull City AFC. As the local radio station for Hull we always strive to bring the most relevant content to our listeners. Over the last year, we have received excellent feedback about our commentary. We can’t wait to see what the next year will bring as we extend the partnership activity while championing Hull City AFC next season”

Hull City Commercial Manager Joseph Clutterbrook added: “We’re delighted to once again be working in partnership with Viking FM for the upcoming season. They have been a long-standing supporter of the Club and we look forward to further growing that relationship over the coming months.”

https://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/articles/2017/201718-viking-fm-radio-partnership/

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  2. Hessle Tiger

Hessle Tiger Member

3. minuteman

minuteman Active Member

4. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Hopefully, now they're not beholden to the club, they'll waste no time in ripping the Allams a massive new arsehole by reporting how it actually is.

Polly13, guitartrax, s02699 and 15 others like this.
  5. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Employ some commentators that are actually interested in talking about the football and not what they've eaten that day and we're onto a winner.

6. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Like for your excellent editing.

7. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Oh yeah , I see what you mean , misunderstood you at first

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  8. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

As Ben says, I hope it'll give RH a freer hand to check the regime, although I haven't listened in an age, from past experience - I doubt they have the acumen to do so.

Also, haven't heard Viking for years too but seem to recall in the 80s, they'd have match reports from York City too.

9. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

I know he's not every bodies cup of tea, but I like Burnsy

10. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Burns is a decent bloke and is one of the biggest advocates and supporters of this City.
    He supports a hell of a lot of the local events.
    You can shove the Viking commentary where the Sun doesn't shine.
    They will be stuck up the Allams arse big time.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I have to say we have Viking radio spouting before and after the match in the lounge, they really do my head in.

Edelman likes this.
  12. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

They always refer to us as Hull or the Tigers when advertising us on the radio.
    Probably been told what they can and cannot say before signing g the deal.

CarlisleTigerII likes this.
  13. FER ARK

FER ARK Well-Known Member

Wtf they doing in your lounge John. Personally, I wouldn't let them in my garden! :emoticon-0145-shake

14. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

It's just typical that I normally do 75% of away games, but this season due to change of circumstances won't be going to many , and would be relying on the radio more - can't even get streams for championship games can you?

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Burnsy's been very critical already, which probably played a reasonably large part in them making this change.

16. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

I know that not everyone is a massive fan of Burnsy and Swanny. But you won't find many better than them in local radio stations. My views may be slightly skewed, as I remember the horror show that was Radio Humberside in the 1980s and 1990s, when Dave Gibbons ran the show. He made no secret of his support of Arsenal, celebrated opposition goals as much as those scored by City (remember the Luton FA Cup game?), and generally sucked up to the Needler (C), Lloyd and Hinchliffe/Buchanan regimes. Phone-ins were carefully vetted so no one criticised the running of the club, and should any reporter break ranks and do some reporting on the mismanagement of the club - Burnsy was one, Chris Harvey and a guy called Stuart Whincup are others - they wouldn't last long at all. City games were rarely given full commentary status, and if the game didn't kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, you were often left sitting through a country and western show, a rugby league commentary or some such nonsense waiting for goal updates or half-time/full-time reports. Hull City, and football in general, were treat with contempt by the station.

When Burnsy came back for his second spell (I think it was around 2001) everything seemed to change overnight. True, certain things were available to him - split frequency commentary, for example - but the whole attitude towards City changed at the station. City mattered. If a game was being played, you would get commentary no matter what. Round this time Radio Humberside's excellent coverage stood in sharp contrast to the pathetic efforts of the HDM with John Fieldhouse covering City.

I know that Burnsy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a Radio Humberside sports presenter has to be all things to all people. He has to be as accessible to the fanzine-reading 20-something as he is to the 80-odd year old granny sat doing her knitting. And he does a good job of pulling that off. True, the station - and Burnsy in particular - were a disappointment for much of the name change saga. They couldn't go all out in criticising the Allams, as they have to answer to bosses and secure funding as much as any more commercial entity in the media. But the free run that the station gave the Allams around the time of the hideously flawed 'vote' on the name change was a low point. That was a blip, however. On the whole, Radio Humberside has served Hull City fans very, very well over the past 15 years. And Burnsy is a keen advocate of all things Hull. He's undoubtedly a positive force within the city. If this move is a foot-stamping, revenge-fuelled move by the club in response to some imagined criticism from Humberside staff, it's another massive black mark against the Allams, whose quest to become entirely friendless takes another lurch forward.

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

David Burns‏@bbcburnsy
    The club didn't like our coverage. We can still do reports but not commentary. It remains to be seen what other access (if any) we get.

nbetiger and Real ale tiger like this.
  18. Mister Slush

Mister Slush Active Member

This.

I grew up with the likes of Elliott Oppel commentating on City. If I thought that was bad, Gibbins took it to a whole new level.

Polly13 and Edelman like this.
  19. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

One of RH's producers James Hoggarth is also very critical of the current regime on social media.

Onewaggy, GLP, Edelman and 3 others like this.
  20. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

An excellent post and spot on <ok>

GLP and CarlisleTigerII like this.