1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HCST - Hull City AFC name-change arbitration process

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by HullCitySupportersTrust, Mar 5, 2015.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

At the risk of running at another tangent, it's spurious argument you're offering, because for all people may claim to care about the environment, few actually alter their lifestyles to do much about it, never mind simply joining a protest group.

So they probably don't really care all that much.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Siegfried's cat

Siegfried's cat Active Member

Like most people I know, I have never joined CTWD, but I am opposed to the name change. Likewise, I have some strong political view but have never joined a political party. Yes, I admit that's is lazy and apathetic to not go that extra mile, but it doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. When it comes time make a decision (ie vote, pay my money) I will get off my arse and do something.

I only got interested in football and going to see City after the KC opened, so I can't say it's the history of the club or a lifetime of support that drives my decision. However, I do enjoy going and now take my son along and hopefully he will have that lifelong support I missed. I am opposed to the name change for four reasons - first is that I think Hull Tigers sounds **** and doesn't add anything that could be done by marketing Hull City as 'The Tigers'. If some Asian fan supposedly supports the club then surely they should be expected to know that The Tigers are actually Hull City - if they don't then they don't support the club they just like a name. Secondly I think that Hull City represents the City of Hull more than Hull Tigers (my opinion). Thirdly, I think allowing owners to change their name for marketing reasons set a dangerous precedent for football generally - if it's the owners choice what is to stop 'Allam Tigers' or '{insert company name} Tigers', and lastly because I really don't like Allam's bullying tactics in going about the process.

I don't want my son growing up supporting Man City or Chelsea, so having that connection to a local club is important, so I can't positively say that I would stop going if the name changes, I would have to decide at the time it came to renew. I do know however that I will never buy any merchandise with Hull Tigers on it, so while Mr Allam might make money in the Asian market he'll lose a best part of £100 I spend on City merch each year.

As for the opening post. HCST aren't asking for the decision (although I think they should). How can asking the FA when the decision will be given be disruptive? Surely confirmation that we wont hear until X date will help stop the current wild speculation and let everyone get on with the season until the decision is made.

HHH, dakins lift shaft, RowZ and 10 others like this.
  3. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your post, I raised the question of why the rush.
    Neither the FA or the Club can make a comment on the arbritation and if the HDM report is correct, the announcement will be made at the end of the season.

Whilst sepectulation is rife, between the club and FA, no one is talking.

In effect we know that the result will be declared at least by the end of the season. I believe that whilst we are not safe, the focus should be on the pitch. Other than curiosity, what would be gained by knowing the date?

I believe the result and the response from the FA and the club will not be what we the supporters expect. I believe that the result will be a compromise as will the response.

4. Sunbeam-Tiger

Sunbeam-Tiger Active Member

I understand what you're saying but in the case of the trust only paid up members can actually vote so the true measure of its support must be the number of paid up members.

DMD likes this.
  5. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

You really know nothing, do you?

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

That's not really the point, the level of support for the HCST is a true measure of our support, as you say, but it's not a true measure of the name change support.

There are thousands who don't want our name to change, but are not members of the HCST, that was the point being made.

Billy Blys Cap and Fez like this.
  7. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Three people have already said on this thread that they don't want a name change but aren't members of the trust. That proves the point quite nicely.

8. Sunbeam-Tiger

Sunbeam-Tiger Active Member

Hang on a minute I thought the trust wasn't about the name change, so are you saying it is ?

9. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

The Trust is not about the name change but as the Hull City Supporters Trust the name change must be one of the items it has a policy toward after all they are not the Hull Tigers or just Tigers Supporters Trust

10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The trust is about many things, just one of them is retaining our historic identity, all our aims and ambitions are listed on our website.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

On a semantic point, and not really meant seriously, in the unlikely event the name change goes through, it's argued (and I agree) that Hull City would cease to exist.

That being the case, would HCST change its name? Would the supporters trust recognise a group from a team the group themselves say is no longer a football club? Could another trust, representing the new name be affiliated, or whatever the term is, to the trust?

HCRIPST , Hull City Supporters Rust or 'the Phoenix Egg' maybe.

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

The trust doesn't have to have the name of the club in its title. It could keep its current name.

The trust could pin on its banner a call to reverse the name change and campaign for the name to be changed back, both inside and outside the KC.

It could campaign to get rid of the owners following the example of the Spirit of Shankley, or it could set up a new football club, AFC Hull City.

I would hope we'd have a general meeting to discuss and agree our strategy. Could be an interesting few hours.

If supporters are held by the arbitration panel to have no right to a say in something as fundamental as a change in name then the Trust should contact the FSF and Supporters Direct to look at raising the money for a legal challenge. Such a ruling not only affects City supporters but football supporters across the UK. I'm sure we'd get a lot of backing, both vocal and financial, in parliament, the media, the legal profession and also internationally.

Personally I think the answer from the arbitration panel is: the FA did nowt wrong.

Assem Allam is now lining up his "I'm going within 24 hours" ducks, but not if it costs me money.

Billy Blys Cap likes this.
  13. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

Now who's being boring?

14. tigers 2008

tigers 2008 Well-Known Member

CTWD/HCST constantly ranting the same rubbish as usual, most of us are more interested in FOOTBALL.

15. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

So you aren't bothered about Hull City?

Newland Tiger likes this.
  16. Muffinthegoat

Muffinthegoat Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, how far would it have to go for you to draw the line? Change of colours? No longer being called "Hull"? Playing games outside the city boundary? If you are just interested in football would you still follow a team called The Tigers playing in Black/Amber/White stripes whose home games were in Melton?

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It seems you can't tell the difference between a rant and a perfectly reasonable letter.

PLT and Newland Tiger like this.
  18. merchantman5

merchantman5 Well-Known Member

All they have asked is when they are going to get the result of the panel. It is dickheads like you and Happy Clapper that are ranting the same old site.

Billy Blys Cap, PLT and Pat E O'Dors like this.
  19. Barchullona

You've never chanted Hull City? What do you chant, Luton Town, Bristol Rovers?

Calling me who was there in the days of 3,000 crowds and lockouts, at the Southend game instead of glory hunting at Wembley, fickle is laughable. But I support Hull City not the PL like a lot who aren't bothered about anything other than the chance to drool over all the big stars of other clubs.
    Anyone who knows me would laugh at somebody thinking I am the sensitive type.
    The point is it would be ridiculous chanting Hull City when that is not the name of the team on the pitch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Billy Blys Cap and Kempton like this.
  20. Barchullona

Lots of fans chant the nickname of their team so your point is ridiculous. Have you ever heard any chants with Hull Tigers in them?