1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long will football as we know it last?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Cityzen, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Interesting article which showing the low regard clubs have for their supporters. Fans losing seats in Holte End at Villa for corporate seats, similar things going on at Arsenal and elsewhere. Some owner saying he didn’t want locals but out of towners. Over 200,000 tourists at Old Trafford and Anfield each season. That is over 10,000 a game. Spurs sell 2,000 Son shirts every game. A long read but worth it. You need to open up the second link and then copy and paste the first link to get beyond the paywall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ague-clubs-want-kill-season-tickets-risk.html

https://12ft.io/

2. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Simon Jordon on Talk Sport recently spoke about Spurs increasing passes by 10%, and changing oap concessions. To paraphrase what he said, if you don't like it, tough luck, football is now a business and other cash cows will have your seat. :emoticon-0125-mmm:

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

3. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Spurs following the Allam route. They did say where they lead others follow.

4. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

When theres a big demand
    The ****s can charge what they want

Unfortunately

5. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

I’m losing interest in the game at a rapid rate of knots.

Give it another 5 years and I’ll probably be done with it.

Don’t ask me to give the reasons because for one I can’t be arsed and two it will just wind me up.

There’s far more to life.

6. Phinius T Bookbinder

Phinius T Bookbinder Well-Known Member

I’m finding the same. But I’ll always follow City.

7. DuaneDarby18

DuaneDarby18 Well-Known Member

I think the Premier League is just becoming more and more undesirable for many reasons. And of course, the problems filter down the leagues.

We are so lucky to have our club back and for the majority of fans to have returned. It really is a shame that football is going this way. I’m not going to lose all hope yet though. I am loving this season and I get to see Hull City more now and I have the regained that enthusiasm I once had. It might not all be doom and gloom in the future, especially if Acun stays for a long time.

Newlandcasual2 likes this.
  8. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

I have not watched a single Premier League match this season the top flight bores me to tears.
    Not needed to either the Championship has been strong this season.
    We are fortunate as we do have an owner and manager who give a **** about the supporters.
    I sometimes go and see AFC Wimbledon and another club where the supporters are valued.
    Top flight is a cesspit

Newlandcasual2 and DuaneDarby18 like this.
  9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think it's reasonable to argue that football as many of us knew it has long gone.

10. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

I wish it (top flight / PL football) was different....but it isn't.
    That said, I wish Championship and lower league football was also different in certain respects ... but it isn't.
    I still enjoy watching the occasional PL game. I will be watching, and am looking forward to watching, Man City v Arse on Sunday, and hoping Man City win.
    I also hope dearly that we get back to the PL asap. I want us to be as good as we can be (for several reasons).
    I can't realistically see myself stopping watching football.

11. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

This is symptomatic of modern life in general. Everything is being eroded and ruined by ****s who think they know what’s best for us.

Happy Easter everyone

(can I say Easter?)

12. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Football has been drastically different for every generation. The football you ‘knew’ was completely different to the generation before you and different again from the generation after you.

13. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

I agree, it's hard to imagine any changes as radical as those my generation have lived through.

Phinius T Bookbinder and DMD like this.
  14. TwoWrights

I blame Alf Common. :emoticon-0125-mmm:

gtigerbackin hull and rovertiger like this.
  15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Is Alf related to the lethargic Harry made famous in the Sham 69 song?

16. TwoWrights

I have no idea, but most know that anyway. Oh, and I'm off down the pub right now. :emoticon-0125-mmm:

DMD likes this.
  17. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

The games change so much in so many ways it’s now bordering on the ridiculous. FIFA have basically re wrote the rule book and made the game we once loved into an overpriced virtual stop start non contact sport which for me has totally f’ked Saturday afternoon’s and the game itself right up. Players in the Prem are now mostly foreign athletes whilst many others earn a fortune for just for being ordinary sat on the bench . Meanwhile scores of Arthur Daley types scurry around outside the grounds getting away with selling foam hands and half n half scarves for mugs who can afford it and the international shirt for kids is now fast becoming a second mortgage. Top flight Football has sold its soul for me, thank f’ck for owners like we have now at City,..maybe there is hope.

UTT.

DuaneDarby18 likes this.
  18. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I had an idea about how to reboot it. Start up an amateur league where every team who joins plays for free. People create new clubs when they become disgruntled with their club (AFC Wimbledon, FC United of Manchester, AFC Liverpool, Austria Salzburg etc) but an entirely cash free league with a competitive edge to provide incentives. Rules as follows:

Admission is free for fans.

Can be videoed and uploaded to social media/filmed live.

Money for travel would come from advertisers or league investors and can only be pledged to facilities (ground rent, maintenance, medicals, food and drink, stewarding etc).

Players and teams are awarded prize money from the league pot based on league standings and performances, a pot that can be boosted by ad revenue or investors in the league. If the prize pot is low, so be it.

The league is open to male, female, non-binary and trans players, minimum age would be 16 unless written consent from parents/guardians is provided for those younger.

Clubs cannot be purchased by investors, players play for the love of the game (and the chance of winning a prize at the end of the season) and cannot receive money directly from the club.

Every other season, the prize money allocation has a fractional allocation. To prevent teams from monopolising and winning over and over again, in the alternate season, the team finishing 1st will share a quarter of their prize money with the teams below. 2nd will share a fifth, 3rd will share a sixth and so on. The next season it reverts back to regular prize money with no fractional allocation.

Spoke to a few people in the game who thought it was a neat idea. Also had positive feedback from fans across the country. Downside is it would create competition for non-league, but it would provide a free alternative more akin to the early days of football, which was my original thinking and became an international phenomenon.

What? A full dog? likes this.
  19. augustatiger

augustatiger Well-Known Member

Think it finished today