1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull City Centre Public Realm Strategy

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

And how much of it was spent on restoring cities in France and Germany? Their infrastructure was a lot more damaged than ours. I should imagine the majority went on rebuilding the railways ahd factories. Of course Warsaw and St Petersburg were in countries which didn't get Marshall Aid.

2. Barchullona

Well, you can't have one as they are spending 6billion building a tunnel to relieve traffic congestion at Dartford.

Edelman likes this.
  3. Barchullona

Good points. But the last 21 words are the worry.

4. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

I have no idea of the figures, but I know that although Hull was badly damaged, regeneration was far down the list of the government of the day, we were not, and are still not, a place of prority for government money in abbundance elsewhere. Example: Crossrail and HS2.

5. C'mon ref

Well its' been a worry for quite a while but it is the will of the people, and the fact that Hull has been a that way for quite a few years (no politics please) so I will leave it there.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Barchullona

Don't forget the £6billion they are going to spend on a tunnel at Dartford to relieve traffic congestion whilst Castle Street remains a distant dream.

It was the Attlee government spending the Marshall Aid money, not as wisely or efficiently as the German one. I went to Hamburg and Bremen in 1963, only 18 years after the war and there wasn't a sign of damage. Quite a contrast to see the bright lights and night life there compared our drab country at the time where everything shut down at 10.30.
    Went to an exhibition which showed how they rebuilt the historic part of Bremen. Citizens involved in sorting rubble and it being matched up against paintings and tapestries of the buildings. It had been pulverised as had Hamburg where 750,000 were made homeless and over 50,000 killed. I remember my dad shaking his head when he looked at the sights in Hamburg and compared it to the state of Leeds, where he had been born, which still had miles of derelict buildings behind the station. He did say to me, as the bid to join the EEC had been rejected again, that looking at Germany and Holland we had missed the boat and by the time we got in, if we did, it would be too late. Guess he was right on that one.

7. Barchullona

Democracy. Everyone has a vote and must be happy with things if they keep voting the same people in again and again. At least you would think so.

8. C'mon ref

No matter where I have travelled in Europe, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Greece, Switzerland, Holland/Netherlands, I have been struck by the way in which rebuilding has been much better than our own, maybe Greece is an exception, everything always seems a project in progress to me, by that I mean footpaths, roads, and the such. But in the UK, outside of South and South Eastern England, progress has been stunted, to say the least, but I read an article, which stated that the government of the day was more interested in preserving our World position as a major power rather than rebuilding the country as other nations did. So I conclude that money was spent in foreign ventures, Suez?, for our stuppidity in sqandering Marshall Aid whilst other were more prudent and prospered, London ****ed us up yet again.

9. Barchullona

Suezwas long after the Marshall Aid money had been spent. A lot of money went on things like nationalising the railways, trying to keep up the gold standard and the infamous ground nuts scheme.

They reckon one problem as far as the railways were concerned was that they weren't damaged enough, strange as that may seem. We could muddle through, using the steam engines we had and building new ones. The railway infrastructure was far more badly damaged in Germany and parts of France so it was simpler to start again.

I like the organised chaos of Greece. People forget that if we had suffered the same percentage of civilian deaths as Greece did we would have had over 5 million deaths in this country.

10. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

And £40 Billion for Cross rail 2

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Crossrail is necessary and makes far more sense than HS2, which is ridiculously overpriced for the potential benefits.

The new Thames crossing at Gravesend is equally necessary.

People compare Castle Street with spending around London, but Castle Street with a fourteen car pile-up would still move more quickly than your average rush hour on the M25.

12. Barchullona

The traffic in London moves no faster than in the days of the Hansom Cab.

13. C'mon ref

Not a comparison OLM more of a realisation that a hold up in traffic, accident or whatever, cripples the whole of Hull as motorist have nowhere to go as an alternative to Daltrey St/Castle St, but the M25 is 6 lanes in some places and although it slows at times it doesn't cripple London. We on the other other hand have had traffic jams for ages down Park St/Londesbourough St. Anlaby Rd, Hessle Rd, just through one car crash, I know I've seen it, and unfortunately it seems more prevalent these days.

14. Edelman

Not sure your comparison makes sense.
    We've been waiting years for this upgrade and with Hull becoming increasingly busy it's a necessity.
    Politicians have admitted that money gets drained from regions to benefit London.

15. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be so bad if the castle st. A63 bit was in addition to the old ways into town but as soon as it was opened hessle rd and anlaby road were virtually closed to through traffic. As you say one small accident and the city is at a standstill.

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's definitely necessary, it was the suggestion that others that were being don't weren't so necessary that I disagreed with.

Edelman likes this.
  17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I used to live in Clapham and work at Staples Corner 15 miles away.

That journey regularly took me 2 1/2 hours, I can get from North Cave to Staples Corner in less than that.

Telling someone in London that we have bad traffic congestion in Hull, is like telling someone in Liberia that we have terrible poverty in Britain.

Both need sorting, but one is at a completely different level to the other.

18. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Anyone who drives the M25 and M62 with any regularity would sympathise with Hull commutors, but they (M25 / M62) drivers tend to suffer more, for longer, for further. I drive all three at rush hours and beyond, so do have an appreciation at all times of day.

This is far more annoying; for me, anyway:

A1 Leeming to Barton Improvements - a £380M project delayed for another six months for more archaeological odds and sods - how much more do we need? I'll support delving into history but this really is getting bad:

"Recent excavations have also led to the unearthing of a major Roman settlement at Scotch Corner that pre-dates settlements in York and Carlisle by 10 years. This tells us that the Romans had a major presence and even possibly began their territorial expansion into northern England a decade earlier than previously thought.

The archaeological team of around 60 people have been working along the A1 for three years as part of our scheme to install an extra lane in each direction between Leeming and Barton. During that time archaeologists have uncovered more than 200,000 prehistoric and Roman artefacts and sieved more than 86 tonnes of sediment samples.

19. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

In the last international break I was at Kingsmeadow to watch AFC Wimbledon play Southend, the last twelve miles of the journey there took one hour and forty minutes!

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

20. Edelman

It's a slow process when archaeological artifacts are involved.
    Could be worse it could be the endangered Great Crested Newt.
    They seem to be on every single construction site that is objected to.

Fez likes this.