1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

Hull FC are covered in Northern editions of the national media. They're an irrelevance in most parts of the UK. Even City in the lower leagues had a higher profile.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  2. Polly13

In my experience, when people have a negative outlook towards the place they live, it says more about them than the place they're moaning about...

Kempton, Fez, bobby ace and 1 other person like this.
  3. Polly13

Absolutely. It's all about perception.

The global positive association of City being in the Premier League cannot be overstated. You couldn't put a price on it. There is literally no marketing strategy that could achieve this, no matter how much money you chucked at it. City of Culture does a similar thing. It's positive publicity; regardless of the reality out on the council estates (a situation which exists in just about any city you care to mention, by the way), Hull is now being seen in a positive light by more outsiders than ever before.

4. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

Indeed. Who could imagine a Philistine pleb from Greatfield ever understanding the sort of metropolitan metrosexual stuff like Ziggy Stardust that these culturally insensitive southerners organising the whole thing are foisting on us?

renegadetiger likes this.
  5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I dont disagree with what you've put polly and it is nice. But i'm concerned with the reality of the poor ****ers on the estates who cant get jobs or only zero hours ones where they get told at the end of a shift if they're back in tomorrow.

Polly13 and Leon T Trout AFC like this.
  6. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Are you sure?

There's a COUM transmissions exhibition curated by CFT, but I've not read of any scheduled performances by COUM, TG or Psychic TV, or appearances by Genesis Breyer P.Orridge.
    Had the good fortune to be able to see TG at Kings X La Scala Cinema back in 1980.
    Proper challenging event, and made all the weedy safe adolescent posturing by the likes of Clash, the UK Subs, the Ruts and other formulaic no marks, utterly utterly irrelevant.

(Edit: Support was Leather Nun who were a Swedish group.)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

Illness led to my brother in law having part of his colon removed. He now has a semi colon.

Skidby Plastic likes this.
  8. City Man

I'm sure 'Ronno' understood it and reluctantly went along with it for pragmatic reasons.
    If he was able to post on this forum, he would probably say something along the lines of 'It was the music I was into, David and Tony were into all that dressing up stuff'

Polly13 likes this.
  9. Polly13

But that's nowt to do with CoC directly. It isn't here to solve all of the city's economic problems, and it shouldn't be expected to do so.

However, what I will say is that it's all about perception, and when a city's global perception is made more positive, economic growth usually goes hand-in-hand.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  10. City Man

In a nutshell:yes.
    We get a refurbed city centre if nowt else.
    Now, about that electrified railway and motorway......

11. bobby ace

bobby ace Well-Known Member

Over the next few years, Hull has an opportunity to re-invent itself as a modern City and attract much-needed inward investment and migration. Hopefully the situation might result in a change at the council. Hull needs a more forward-looking and motivated team take the City forward. Brady, for example, always gives the impression that he's absolutely delighted with how things are and is resistant to change. It's part of the reason why I am so pleasantly surprised by the CoC line-up. How did they get it past him?

12. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

You're right, it has the opportunity, but after this round of government investment it will take a far more savvy and committed council than exists now to take it to the next level. I suspect that many uncompleted and yet funded projects will be scrapped and the coffers will disappear into the ether like millions before. BUT... we live in hope.

13. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

If people choose to sit on their arses at home for the full year rather than make the effort to travel a couple of miles inside the same city to see some events, then I suggest that that is their own fault.

You either make the effort, or you don't. As with anything in life.

14. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Ronnio, and Trevor Bolder would probably say that Bowie used them and discarded them like he did so many others.They were basically a backing band after all. Still the only surviving member will be there. Who is from the East Riding, not Hull.

15. City Man

And Bowie would probably say that without him, the band would never have got out of Hull. A mutually beneficial period for both parties before Bowie moved on, and we then got 'Low' and 'Heroes'.
    And 'Woody Woodmansey's U Boat'.

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Youre right Party theres plenty of people that rarely go more than a 2 mile distance from their homes.
    I work with people that havent had a night our for years or ventured into the Marina in 15 years.
    They never get to the freedom or any other festival.
    They look forward to a weekend so they can catch up on telly progs.

Kempton likes this.
  17. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

And then they'd moan that the City Of Culture did nothing for them.

18. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

I can 100% gaurantee that there will be some people that won't make even a miniscule of effort and turn around and say it was ****e.
    I ll personally get out to it as much as i can.

Polly13 likes this.
  19. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Characterising Ronson as a member of Bowie's backing band is a big understatement, he played Amish bigger role than that for a time.

20. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

No religion