1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull council to seek partner to build cruise terminal

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 24, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

PLANS for a cruise liner terminal in Hull which could add £13 million to the local economy are set to take a major step forward next week.

please log in to view this image

Senior councillors are expected to agree to the creation of public-private partnership to oversee the development of the terminal which could be built at Sammy’s Point close to The Deep aquarium or the Albert Dock.

The cost of the terminal, previously estimated at £17 million, has now risen to a more likely £25 million and the report suggests that the council’s contribution should be capped at just over £9 million.

A report to be presented to senior councillors next week says that building a “world class city centre riverside berth will create a long term legacy for the City of Hull and will contribute to the wider regeneration and renewal of the city centre”.

But it also warns councillors that “delivering a viable cruise terminal is likely to prove to be a significant challenge, and is far from certain of success” without securing additional funding.

Writing in the report, Coun Steven Bayes, who holds the council visitor destination portfolio, says: “With City of Culture 2017 and Siemens investing in the city, Hull is increasingly the focus of national and international attention.

“The economic benefits to the North of England are significant and we need to make the most of this project, seeking funding from as wide a range of sources external to the council as possible.

“Our city is here because of the port and with a cruise terminal we will benefit from the new visitors.

“We can capture a slice of the cruise market and passengers, for which the city is ideally placed, and can ensure a legacy beyond 2017 that has tangible benefits to the city, the people of Hull and the wider economy of the North of England.”

Setting up a public-private partnership is seen by the council as a way of securing the additional money needed for the venture and the expertise needed to operate the facility once it is built.

Other options would include leaving it to the private sector to come forward with the proposals but the report warns that the project is unlikely to get off the ground without some public sector financial contribution.

Councillors will be told that the cruise terminal could either be a “port of call” where passengers disembark for trips around Yorkshire or a more costly “home port” where cruise trips start and end.

“Research has indicated that there is demand from the market that could be satisfied by providing a “Yorkshire Port” for the cruise market,” the council report says.

In the last seven years there has been a 79 per cent rise in the number of people taking cruises in northern Europe.

Hull City Council’s cabinet will consider the next stages of the cruise terminal project at a meeting on Monday.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...ek-partner-to-build-cruise-terminal-1-7321499

2. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I think it's a great idea, it's a rapidly growing market and something I think we should be looking to get involved in, though neither site seems ideal.

The Sammy's Point site(next door to The Deep) is a good position, it's close to the city centre/Old Town/Fruit/Marina and the new hotels etc, but there's already parking issues at The Deep and I don't see how you could get a big increase in traffic, or any parking at all.

The Albert Dock site is more easily accessible from the A63 and there's probably more development opportunities around the site, but it's a bit further from the city centre, it's not a great walk in(unless you can funnel people past the marina), but to do that you've got to be able to get people across the dock entrance somehow.

Just wondered in anyone had any involvement and knew anything about more detailed plans?

3. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

They could raise the money quite easily by the council cutting their £6.4 million a year sick pay bill
    16 days each on average they take off each year

4. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

That's actually quite cheap compared to some, Sunderland £10m, Bolton £22m and Birmingham an incredible £35m.

Polly13 likes this.
  5. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Surely there are some beautiful, historic buildings Hull's myopic, incompetent, arse-dragging, amateurish, corrupt(?) council can knock down to provide space for access and parking?

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Sammy's Point has been developed already, it's got The Deep on it and I doubt they'll knock that down.

7. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

So that makes Sammy's Point a non-starter.

Next...?

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

That's why I was posing the question, I can't see why it's being touted as one of the two options, when it seems completely impractical.

9. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

OK. I didn't realise that was your point.

Albert Dock/Riverside Quay. Access from the Castle Street Interchange?

10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's a big site and it's got better access, but as I mentioned above, you've still got the issue of getting people into the city centre. It's quite a walk and somehow you'd have to have a crossing over the dock gates, in addition assuming vehicles would access via the A63, they'd have to drive along way round to get to the end(I'm assuming all those old transit sheds still run alongside the edge of the dock)...

11. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Another thing is that all those warehouse blocks along the dock/river wall could be re-developed, or for parking (or both). And there could be a bridge over the lock gates. It could ascend from the English Street end and curve down on to the dock wall. On your pic it looks like Albert Dock is hardly used, but surely the Cruise ships would go from the river side, like North Sea Ferries at KG?

12. Edelman

Bloody hell it's unreal isn't it
    The thing is they thing it's a god given right to lounge around at home knowing they're getting paid
    I've had about 16 days off on sick in the last 25 years
    They already get 2 days extra days off also on
    Top of hols
    Because of the pee takers the ones that are genuinely I'll in the future will suffer.

13. Edelman

Most of them went long ago

14. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

I know. I was being sarcastic.

15. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Jesus southwestie, way to put a downer on a positive story. :grin:

Anyway, I think this is the way to go. We'll never beat the likes of Leeds, Manchester, York etc at their own games. So let's go forward with what we've got that they can never have. The port.

We really could be the gateway to Europe for Yorkshire and beyond.

16. Sunbeam-Tiger

Sunbeam-Tiger Active Member

We could have a ready made terminal already (North Sea Ferries) HCC should have a word with P & O regarding the future plans to sail from Hull. At least 1 if not 2 of the ferries will be very shortly reaching the end of their service life with no sign of replacement them.

17. Edelman

Yeah I know you was forgot smilie

18. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Was thinking along the same lines seeing as the bigger of the two ships docks outside of the actual lock gates so just the smaller vessel inside the actual dock.

19. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Aren't there two big ships on Europoort run using the riverside and two smaller ships using KG/QE dock on Zeebrugge run?

One outward and one inward, on each route.

20. Sunbeam-Tiger

Sunbeam-Tiger Active Member

Yes they are are but if the 2 smaller ones are retired off and not replaced you have to question if they would still run the larger ones from Europort.