1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ian Ashbee

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Boothferry2Wembley, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Boothferry2Wembley

Boothferry2Wembley Well-Known Member

Ian Ashbee wore his shirt with pride. That's enough for me. He may not of been the best ever midfielder, in fact some people reckon he was often involved in "denial of service"
    Speaking of denial of service, is this the reason this site has been on and off of late?
    Surely people with the ability to do stuff like that have got better targets to aim for.

Phil Brown was, is and always will be a @@@@.

2. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Sorry Ricardo, but I haven't the foggiest idea what your point is here.

However on the topic of Martin Hainstock, he was an awesome pre-match announcer. I seem to remember he fell out with the club when AP marched him into the club shop and told him to chose any official City merchandise to wear on a matchday instead of his usual scruffy jacket, he didn't like this and that was the end for him at City.

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

"This WAS Boothferry Park."

RIP Martin <rose>

4. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

Ashbee was a brilliant player for city. Every time we got promoted there have always been doubts about his ability to perform at the next level and he always managed to prove his doubters wrong. He was an inspirational leader and the fact that we have won more points with him in the side than out shows his contribution to the city side. He wore the shirt with pride and lead us through all 4 divisions. He may not have been the skillful or technically gifted footballer but he more than made up for it with his good positional play and by passing it to the centre mid next to him who is capable of playing a killer ball. You are more than entitled to your opinion, but its completely wrong.

5. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think I misread the bit about the song everyone else has being what we started when we got to the PL as you saying that the introduction to the stands was something we started then. Like I say I'd just woken up.

6. dem_on

dem_on Member

Matt the Tiger
    I'm sorry I can't take your comments seriously when in another thread you are advocating Matt Duke as the worst City Keeper. He certainly wasn't in the top 3 but he did have his moments.

7. djblackandamberarmy(No 4)

like ive mentioned on another thread..at a big club like manchester united or liverpool..there legends are treated like gods- immortalised, sang about years after....
    how captaining a side from league 2 to the premier league, taking a couple of injuries along the way to threaten your ability to walk...isnt classed as legend i dont know?
    got to be the equivalent of captaining a few titles and european wins for one of the afore mentioned clubs?...
    yet some are still questioning/criticising him..small club mentality perhaps.?
    some sort of tribute should be made, if only a suite named after him or some other token gesture.

8. dem_on

dem_on Member

Name a suite a nightclub or a tavern for all I care but a Statue !!!!!!!!!!! King Billy would turn in his grave lol

9. djblackandamberarmy(No 4)

rocky got a statue, and half his fights were hand picked...<laugh>

10. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

There's arguments for all of them.. Warren Joyce should have one too then..

11. addistiger

addistiger Active Member

Excellent article on Ashbee wherever it was cut and paste from.

Strangely enough after reading the thread on tigers best ever team, I was thinking the club should have a Tiger Hall of Fame then we get this thread - maybe we could get a hold of some of the old Tigers International caps!

Would be great as an attraction and good history for the younger and newer supporters to see we do really have an interesting story - despite the under-achieving or even moribund times

12. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

Another interesting fact about Ian Ashbee. The last time he played against us was for Cambridge United on 09/03/1999.

And guess what? He scored!