1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

im happy that coventry have re invented themselves

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprted, Nov 21, 2015.

1. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

its nice to see that finally they have seemed to re vitalised there football team,it seems so long ago that they won the fa cup and all there fans were driving around with light blue ribbons on there windows

THEN THEY BUILD A LOOVELY NEW STAND,BUT POOR MANAGEMENT DESTROYED THEM

so good to see

2. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Ted, I have a pub story to share with you. Not even close to your last one. But relevant to Coventry. (And no one in this one gets naked! <laugh>)

I was in a pub in the Cotswolds - around 15 year ago - and who should walk in but Bryan Richardson - Chairman of Coventry City with his CEO. At that time Coventry City were in the Premier League - and planning a move away from Highfield Road.

We got chatting and they painted this picture of a bright future - including a new stadium - and waxed on about their vision for a retractable pitch - one option they were toying with - for this to slide under the main stand and out into the car park during the week to allow the grass to recover without the shadows of the stands blocking sunlight.

It all seemed very achievable and they spoke with confidence and reassurance; laid back and without any bragging. Reflecting back, the reality was some way distant from their vision. Richardson was ousted some time after this - and the rest is history.

I guess it tells us that sometimes you can go in with the best of intentions - inter alia the ambitious plans announced by Tony Fernandes - then face the harsh reality of dealing with planners, local objections, and not least the thorny issue of funding, etc.

So much for the pub talk heh!

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Coventry is a ****hole, the new ground is an abomination and the fans are ****s.

TimPR78, Uber_Hoop and TWGWTDT like this.
  4. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

With Watford on this

5. Bwood_Ranger

Bloody cheap houses though. Scarily cheap.

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I'll take it you're not keen on the place...:grin:

7. Bwood_Ranger

You won't find me agreeing with the Nazis a lot but they weren't keen on it either.

I actually really liked Highfield Road. The Eoin Jess game was one of my first away games and I don't remember it at all but I was about 14 when Georges Santos got the winner there in injury time.

The new place is everything that is wrong with modern stadia. Crap or no pubs, crap transport, single tiered stands miles from the pitch. My dad, who is about as likely to be aggressive at football as Armand Traore, got chased through town there after the game.

Flatten the place and build a new utopian towns with 30 minute trains direct to Euston so I can buy a 3 bed house for about £50k

8. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

Expect a lot more towns or mini cities to go the way of Coventry

Still it produced the specials

This town is coming like a ghost town

9. TWGWTDT

30 mins trains to Coventry?
    When and how can that happen in England ?
    Two weeks ago my train was cancelled from London to Horsham 4 times in a week
    Friday night I had get a bus

Nice to hear that people are looking at the house price thing ... How can that happen on a little island?

A hotel room style apartment London
    £885.000 and rising a three bed house in Coventry £50,000 and falling?

What 100 miles ?
    £47 train Fares? 2 hours?

I travel from Montpeller to my home
    100 miles for €2 coach if I uses train Then it's 35 mins €13 euros to do

I have purchased flights until March
    6 flights 1:30 -45 hrs £104

50k could buy you anything

It's madness IMO what the the UK is becoming .... Dead towns and cities apart from the madness and greed of London and the south east

You can't move anymore

10. Bwood_Ranger

Yeah but France has you.

11. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

its strange how in 1969 right in the middle of hooliganism qpr were the whipping boys of the old first division
    which of course is now the prem man utd who were the biggest force on planet earth
    to give you some idea chelsea shed end held 5000 skinheads out tops was 5oo
    so in the terrace ends we just couldnt stand outnumberd ten to one,would mean if we had ten they had a hundred
    so the loft end in the begining a difficult place to hold so when man utd came to loftus road we feared the worst
    but amazingly instead of running us out of the loft end they seemed to feel sorry for us and decided to let us stay so we were so frightened instead of a full 500 only 150 tunrned up
    well they came in groups of 500s fromm all over the country first southampton reds put two hundred right next to us then the cockney reds put three hundred the other side of us but our instincts were to stay where we are and it would be alright
    then the midlans red army came in one thousand strong so we were 150 to there 1500 against impossible odds we got kind of court up in a sort of surreal hysteria it was like the roman emire had descended upon us then great exitement as all the man utd started shouting the manchest boys are comming
    we watched in amazement as three thousand poured through the gates but instead of being skinheads they were all dressed in a very strage way but they decided to concentrate them selves right in the corner of the loft where q block is now
    they let out this amazing roar of halo halo we are the man u boys and the other 1500 man utd fans then joined forces to the left of us
    and joined in with a deathening roar
    the qpr fans at the front of the vloft were terrified
    and in them days you could walk around the whole qpr stadium so they started to migrate to the center of the south africa road stand this was out other stronghold it was called the drum and a family from poortabella road had taken over that part of the world
    but back to the loft we were being told by man utd fans dont be frightened we are going to take your end but no harm will come to you dont worry
    but we didnt know whether to trust them or not then all the man utd fans drinking in all the pubs came in and thewre it was the greatest ever taking of the loft in our history
    was in motion about 8000 fans cramed into the little loft end i decided t wanted to go to the other end and watch the whole spectacle
    im so glad i did in them days every club sang youll never walk alone,and when man utd sang and all held up there scarves it was to become the greatest ever spectacle at loftus rad that ive ever seen in my 55 seasons
    DID ANY OF YOU GO TO THAT GAME IN THE 68-69 SEASON WHAT A GAME THAT WAS WE LOST 2-3 I THINK

12. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

SORRY IVE COMPLETELY LOST THE PLOT HERE THE RELEVENCE TO COVENTRY WAS IT WAS ONE OF THE ONLY AWAY GAMES IN 69 THAT WE DIDNT GET RUN ALL OVER THE PLACE
    we actually held our own outside so ive got happy memories outside the stadium that day

13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Bloody hell that was a bit Twilight Zone!
    Sorry Ted 68/69 season was well before my time.
    However
    I was at the game when Cantona scored that late goal in 96 and 2 ManU fans jumped up cheering in ER stand. One of the only times i lost it. Not proud and would never be like that now but something had to be sorted.

14. Bwood_Ranger

What?

15. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

My very first R's game in October 1968, I was tucked in the School End and remember Bobby Charlton running the match, different class. We got stuffed 8-1 in the return later in the season...

16. TWGWTDT

And England has you Watty
    I ain't got it sussed mate no way and I'm the biggest hypocrite on here
    France as a nation is possibly one of the worse offenders in the world for contributing to world unrest
    You mentioned travel and house prices to a place 100 miles from London ... What I am saying is look under the surface at what is happening. I love the UK mate ... Love it but I believe it has become a massive shop and is driven by a commercial evil ethic and I know inside I am right

Investment in Coventry may as you put it need flattening just so you could buy a cheap house and travel quickly into London. That my friend is a bloody worthless dream... Multiply that with all the other lost outposts and I believe you could quell your mind. Coventry or anywhere is in fact people's place of birth and their homeland so it's a little bit more involved

Fat Cats in London Town won't want a swarm of CoventryWatties immigrants cruising into town on a budget laughing at them because their mortgage is only £200 a month compared to their £1800 a month ... It's taking the piss isn't it? ... Exactly what I am doing but 800miles away?

The U.K. Shop is open 24/7 as we move into Black Friday week or will it become a month in the future?
    Bargains?

Bargains we all want to pay less do we not?

So I am aware that France has me in that aspect while the UK rots from within.

Pubs are now mini supermarkets
    Mini Supermarkets popping up everywhere served on average twice a day by a multi billion pound logistic monster which relies on what?

Imports and Fuel

Here's some questions for the forum

What keeps that all going?
    Who owns that?
    Do you think government rule this?
    Do you find that you believe things told to you in the media?
    Who runs the media?
    Why do wars really happen?
    Are we as a nation along with the French trying to help overseas or do we have our own interests as the real. Agenda?

Would a simple supply cut in diesel fuel to the UK stop the entire thing?

How long would it talk to walk to Coventry?

What does it cost to run a horse and cart ?

Where do you get horse food from?

How much money is made from money in London?

Why is it based in London?

What does that mean for the people of Coventry?

The big one

Why don't the UK's supply chains get attacked, why aren't they protected?
    Why are they not considered targets?

In 1000 words or less
    What would happen if suddenly petrol station/ mini supermarkets became targets for terrorists ?
    The components for bombs are on sale already there ... People are invited in to spend and average foot fall is estimated in the 000s each day

What would be the fear factor then?

Is something else going on?

More questions than answers Watford but as I ride to Coventry stark bollock naked on my trusty steed dobbin who I have taught to eat pigeons , seagulls and rats I was wondering if you needed a lift on the way. I rise side saddle do don't worry

I have to as my nuts are massive X

17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Tis some truth in this.
    As i am getting old i hate all the commercial and politically correct stuff that goes on in the world.
    I read yesterday that 1200 people were killed in the US for their trainers? WTF!
    Those shopping days where people act like animals to save a few quid.
    Christmas decorations up in November!
    The C of E cannot show a 30 second Christmas Lords Prayer add in cinema's because it may offend? WTF!
    Sky TV and Talksport flooding our TV's /Radio's with ads
    The BBC treating us like idiots and that we all live in a wonderful society were we integrate so well.

Seriously in someways TWGWTDT has a point.

Uber_Hoop and qprted like this.
  18. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

My family came from there, though I was dragged up around London. I saw my first League football game there in about 1955, stood on a box and saw it all with nobody kicking me off. I only remember friendly people,, and they had just been through a worse War than most places in the UK. So leave em alone!

19. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I was there in the 90's, we stuffed them but still lost 1-0 and relegated, friendly ha, the mofo's deserve Coventry

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  20. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

yes that game at highfield road in 68-69 season we lost 0-5 so it wasnt good on the pitch,when we got promoted we had gone straight through two divisions and our team was apaling especially our defence
    we had poor tony hazel and ron hunt my god they got roasted every game
    it was quite embaressing most of it