1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

In March Fraser Forster was injured with a broken kneecap but is now recovering well

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 25, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I understand anyone being upset if displaced, but generally goalkeepers knuckle down and say all the right words about fighting for their place. That is what Davis did when Boruc came in....though he wasn't concerned about losing an international spot. This is just the lot of goalkeepers...they all know this. Toby said that Forster has been playing through injuries....this may not have happened if Boruc had been here. Not blaming Boruc for the injury, but saying that he may have got some game time and the chance to shine. Saints could have insisted he stayed...like Morgan...but he was found a decent berth at Bournemouth. Why should they have let him go elsewhere in the EPL...that's rewarding bad behaviour. I feel for Boruc as a human being, but stuff like this happens in football.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  2. laurab12

laurab12 Active Member

Koeman and Boruc don't get on. Boruc wasn't willing to sit on bench and Koeman didn't like his refusal.

Davis never would have played for Saints again if not for Forster's very unfortunate injury. Bad luck Koeman probably never saw happening

No player has a divine right to be first choice but Boruc was told Forster was one and there was no competition.

You can only fight for your place in a team when that is possible.

The question now is can a guy who has proven he lacks epl ability manage to pull something out the bag in remaining 8 games. Loyalty is great but first time he chucks ball into back of net or drops a clanger you all will be going nuts as you seem to like abusing you keepers, even Forster has been bashed by a lot

3. fran-MLs little camera

The manager picks the keeper...it was Artur's job to sit on the bench. I'm pretty sure that Koeman could foresee a day when he might need another keeper...after all it could have happened in the first match of the season. He just decided he'd rather have a professional keeper on the bench than someone prone to moods. As I've said many times, I have sympathy for Boruc, but players don't pick the team, the manager does. There are other players who aren't getting many chances to play....that's a footballer's life, especially goalkeepers.

4. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Not really akin to a suicide. Even with no goalkeeper at all, with eight matches to go, I couldn't see us finishing below 7th place. It's not as if we're threatened by relegation that we should dread this injury. It might hinder our Cl chances, but they were never very good to begin with. And if Davis actually is so appalling at goalkeeping (which he isn't), it doesn't matter that much because our defence clears most of the danger most of the time anyway. Second half against Burnley, he hasn't had any job to do. Even Forster was a bystander in some matches, and he was a bystander even in some matches that we lost, as we have this tendency to let in the only shot on goal the opposition manages to muster.

5. fran-MLs little camera

That's why I said that Davis was fine short term if he keeps fit. He's a decent keeper behind the best defence in the league and we are not in any real danger. I suspect the results will be the same as with Forster and. if worse, no more than by an odd goal.

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Have full faith in Kelvin Davis! I am sure the manager and squad have. That's why he is club captain!!

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

So we still have 3 in the squad and first team that stem from our re-launch day in August 2009!

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I'll rephrase that for you.

Boruc doesn't get on with Koeman. Boruc refused to fulfil his contractual duties and, bewilderingly, Koeman thought that was a bad thing.

Look, we know that you know Artur but your desperate twisting of facts to suit him does you no favours. You will find no bigger supporter of him than me. In fact, I argued on here that Fraser should have had to fight for the number one spot. However, when that didn't happen, Artur throwing his toys out of the pram was not the required solution. His job was to buckle down and win the place.

Vin

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

You don't spend £10m on a keeper and don't play him. I thought it was cruel on Artur and I think every Saints fan would have been more than happy for him to be our first choice keeper, but we needed to buy a keeper last summer and Saints opted for a first choice and not a back up.

I respect both Artur for wanting to play and Koeman for being decisive in his selection and i'm surprised to hear that there is still ill feeling as they both seem like frank straight forward men who would get on with things and move forward.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I know you're posting fast Vin, but I think he needed to knuckle down... :p

Onionman likes this.

11. fatletiss

I have always engaged you Laura, but I am really not liking the underlying tone of joy in the current situation.

Onionman likes this.
  12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Yeah, looking forward to a clean break from Boruc.................................& Laura the super fan. <doh>

13. laurab12

laurab12 Active Member

I take no joy in a injured player

14. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

fatletiss likes this.
  15. fatletiss

... But the side effect of it causing a problem to someone else is ok? Nice.

16. fatletiss

Well I never knew that. thanks

*sends link to older sister to prove that 35 years ago, she was cheating by flicking marbles with thumb on ground and index used as 'flicking propellor'*

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

We should take Osvaldo back as well, because keeping Pelle up front is suicide. :)

18. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

19. fran-MLs little camera

Wasn't sure if that had any more substance than he is a goalkeeper and Dutch, we need a goalkeeper and our manager is Dutch, QED type of thing.

20. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Reed said: "At the moment we're looking at Fraser Forster coming back in January next year but, in terms of strength and depth, we'd probably loan a keeper for the full season.