1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Interesting Comments by Advocaat

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Meniscus, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Meniscus

Meniscus Active Member

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sp...te_double_signing_as_Advocaat_praises_Short/?

In particular, I found this bit interesting when he was talking about Short:

“He has been really great in terms of the support he has given because it is not just about bringing players in, he has also had to work with some of the things that have been here for the last couple of years.

“So it’s not just about what we do now, it’s also about working through some of the things that were already here. He is very willing to do everything he can for the team, and has been very positive whenever we have talked.”

If only we knew the extent of how bad the organisational culture was/still is... (well, that's how I read those somewhat cryptic comments). I really hope Dick is the one to fix it all up.

Gil T Azell and The Relic like this.
  2. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

"He is very willing to do everything he can for the team, and has been very positive whenever we have talked."

I must admit, I haven't believed in a Chairman of Sunderland as much as I do Short since Ditchburn in the early 1950s. I think he is very, very good for this club, short and long term.

clockstander likes this.
  3. Meniscus

Meniscus Active Member

I find Short difficult to judge as there's lots of good and bad. I think he lost his way a bit after the O'Neill failure, trying to buy low and invest in two younger managers who just didn't cut it in the end. I could just see him after firing Poyet, saying to Congerton 'no more ****ing around - just get me the best and most reputable damn manager that's willing to come to our club at any price'.

His transfer support has been a bit of a mixed bag: was it his fault that Bent, Gyan and Cana wanted out or that Sess liked to drink drive and that we couldn't attract better? He did stump up the Bent money in the first place and he has shelled out 13m for Fletcher and 10m for AJ and Rodwell each - so he's been happy to support the odd splash. However, our net spend has been quite low in recent years and we've relied to heavily on loans that went nowhere (e.g. Borini, Ki).

As the big boss, he's also got to wear some of the blame for whatever cultural issues we've had in recent years. It really seems like something septic was brewing - I just can't explain how else we could have been so miserable these past few season as, on paper, I don't think the squad we've assembled has been that bad.

Sam_Fring likes this.
  4. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

The evidence is there that he has laid out the cash when it has been asked but I feel he has been let down badly by managers; not the first owner to have done so and certainly not the last. Appointing any manager is a gamble and I am certain he would have consulted someone with football before appointed the last four. As it turns out, two with experience, two with potential, but it has panned out that all of them have been our short term saviour, DA is the only unknown quantity and the starting fixtures have a good ground to start.

The fourth season we have started with new hope, but I must admit to being happier about this one than the last two.

5. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

My worry is,why do our targets not want to come to us.we are so far behind Southampton just to mention one team.players either prefer London or some other smaller club.the only way it seams is to spend ( big money) on a player and throw big wages at him.as it's been in the past.this is not now going to happen.now I read this van dyke Celtic centre ha.f is wanted at Southampton.( we know where he will be going ).we need to really establish our selfs inthe top half of the table to attract these targets.all been said before I know but this has to happen. <bubbly>

6. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

DA also said that Wickham was sold cos we had too many players in that position.
    Does that mean we already have another CF lined up so Wickham had to go, or that if we do get another CF in it means Graham or Fletch will be shown the door as well ?
    DA stated that he would have preffered to keep wickham as he is still young. Presume this means that we cant find a buyer for DG or Fletch and the Palace offer for Wickham was too good to turn down.

7. Vincemac

Think so <bubbly>

8. Vincemac

SAINTS TABLE VAN DIJK BID

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has tabled an £8m bid for Celtic's defender Virgil van Dijk, according to the Daily Mirror.
    <bubbly>

9. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

My great granddad

10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

It's no secret that there's been problems in the club but things seem to be improving within the club so fair play

11. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

Have a look mate - he's on it.

:emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  12. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Cheers
    I can't at the minute coz I'm at work, but I think I've seen it before
    As I understand it he was guilty, but the investigators exceeded their mandate so he avoided prosecution
    I worked in a pub years back, and all of these old fellas used to tell me stories about him and a consortium known affectionately as Ali Babba and the 40 thieves

The Relic likes this.
  13. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Koeman is a lying toe rag. Earlier this Summer he told Van Dijk to stay at Celtic and not to come to us for his international career. I think Saints have been good but I can see struggles this year with Europa and I hope Koeman falls flat on his lying mug

14. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Aye he did didn't he, the little ****.