1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town Versus Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 20, 2016.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 4

Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Norwich City
    FT (90+3')
    HT 1 - 1
    Knudsen (45+1)_________________________________________________________________Jerome (26')

Attendance: 23,350

Referee: David Coote
    Asst. Referees: Nigel Lugg & Ian Cooper
    Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Date: Sunday 21st August 2016
    Venue: Portman Road
    Kick-Off: 12:00PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Tomorrow Alex Neil takes his Norwich City side south of the county border as they travel the short distance to take on Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich Town side at Portman Road.
    Town go into Sunday’s game on the back of a 0-0 stalemate against Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Molineux midweek and will be extra keen to kick start their season against their local rivals in Sunday’s televised encounter. After an impressive start at home on the opening day of the season which saw the Blues brush aside Barnsley by 4 goals to 2, they have stumbled of late losing 2-0 at Brentford prior to the Wolves game and indeed they were also beaten on their own patch by League Two Stevenage in the first round of the EFL Cup prior to that.

Grant Ward scored a debut day hat-trick for the Blues against Barnsley

Norwich’s campaign also got off to a great start against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park where they handed out a 4-1 drubbing to their hosts, following this up with a 0-0 draw against last season’s Championship play-off finalists Sheffield Wednesday at home, then beating Bristol City 1-0 last time out midweek at Carrow Road.

Jonny Howson fires home to secure all three points for City against the Robins

The Canaries will arrive at Portman Road having won five of their last six against their fiercest rivals with Town failing to keep a clean sheet in the last sixteen meetings between the two in all competitions. Should Ipswich upset the form book and win tomorrow’s game it will be the first time they have won three consecutive home games since August 2015, while City will be looking to keep three successive clean sheets in the league for the first time since November 2012.
    Supporters of both clubs need no reminding of what happened the last time the two sides locked horns and Ipswich fans will be hoping the Blues will avenge their Championship play-off semi-final defeat at the hands of the Canaries 15 months ago.
    In team news, Brett Pitman will be back in the squad for Town having recovered from a thigh injury sustained on the opening day of the season against the Tykes, however Conor Grant, Luke Hyam and Giles Coke are all still sidelined.
    As for City Jacob Murphy now back to full fitness could be brought back into the fold by Alex Neil, while Michael McGovern is expected to continue as custodian in place of John Ruddy. Martin Olsson, Graham Dorrans and Alex Pritchard are all still likely to miss out through injury.

Mick McCarthy’s Match Preview

Mick McCarthy on the East Anglian Derby

“I remember walking out for the Play-Off game here against Norwich and it was a fantastic occasion,” the Town boss told the Club website.

“It was a real ‘hairs standing up on the back of the neck’ moment. We need that level of support again on Sunday. It really can make a difference to the players, to all of us.”

“We’ve been looking forward to the game and I hope the supporters are as well.”

“I’ve been involved in a lot of derbies in my career and sometimes you get the feeling amongst supporters that they are looking forward to it on one hand, and not looking forward to it on the other.”

"There is almost a ‘scared to get beat’ worry but you’ve got to play the game to win it. The rewards are there if you do, the brickbats are there if you don’t but that’s football and games like Sunday, big games - that’s what we are in football for.”

Alex Neil's Match Preview

City Boss Alex Neil previews tomorrow's match

"We treat it the same in terms of the preparation, but it's certainly a different occasion for the fans," he told Norwich City TV on Thursday.

"For the players I think it's important that we keep them focused and don't get carried away with the occasion.”

"First and foremost you've got to match them for effort and endeavour, because derbies are high-octane affairs, but we also need to keep cool heads and play some football. If we can do that, we should be fine."

Commenting on whether City's strong recent record in the fixture will have an impact, Neil added: "It makes a difference because you don't want to be the one to lose it.”

"We're in decent form at the moment, I still think we've got more to come, and I think the players will attack the game. They know the occasion and they'll be up for it.”

"I think it's going to be a full-blooded affair where both teams will want to get the win. They're at home, which gives them an advantage of some sorts.”

"Ipswich are well-organised, they work extremely hard and they've got some good players at the top end of the pitch. It will be a tight game, but hopefully our quality will show over the 90 minutes."

Current Form (Last 5 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Ipswich Town

DLLWW

IPSWICH HOME

Ipswich have won 40%, drawn 35% and lost 25% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Ipswich have won 8, drawn 6 and lost 6 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Ipswich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

Norwich City

WDWLW

NORWICH AWAY

Norwich have won 20%, drawn 10% and lost 70% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 6, drawn 5 and lost 9 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Norwich have won 11, drawn 5 and lost 4 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Overall the two rivals have met 142 times, Ipswich having the slight upper hand with 59 wins to Norwich's 56. The first derby held between the two clubs was on 15 November 1902, when both sides were still playing at amateur level. The Norfolk & Suffolk League fixture was played in Norwich and finished 1-0 to 'The Citizens'. City were the first of the two to turn professional in 1905, Ipswich following in 1936. Ipswich were elected to the Football League in 1938 and the first league game between the two clubs was on 2 September 1939 in League Division Three (South). The game was played at Portman Road with the match finishing 1-1, although the league was abandoned that year due to the outbreak of the Second World War.

Other than the Championship play-off semi-final ties between City and Town in May 2015, two of the more notable meetings between the two clubs have come in cup competitions. In the 1972-73 season Ipswich beat Norwich 4-2 on aggregate to win the two legged Texaco Cup final, with 2-1 wins in both games. In 1985 the clubs met in the semi-final of the League Cup, Ipswich won the first leg 1-0 at Portman Road but Norwich scored early in the return leg at Carrow Road to level the tie. With extra-time looming Steve Bruce scored a late winner to send Norwich to Wembley.

Wes Hoolahan (centre) celebrates scoring from the spot in the Play-Off Semi-Final at Carrow Road
    The East Anglian derby has been contested 111 times in competitive games, 57 of which have been played at Ipswich and 54 at Norwich. The clubs have also played each other in friendlies and testimonials. The highest attendance in the derby at Portman Road is 35,077 in a First Division match in September 1975 while Carrow Road hosted 39,890 spectators in an FA Cup match in January 1962. John Wark is Ipswich's leading goalscorer in the derby with nine goals, while Hugh Curran remains Norwich's top scorer with five, a record that has stood since 1968.

Town have put 5 goals past City on no fewer than four occasions the most recent being on 21st February 1998 in League Division One (2nd Tier) at Portman Road which resulted in a 5-0 win for the Blues.

Norwich had to wait until 21st April 2011 on their way to promotion from the Championship to the Premier League before they managed this feat against their arch rivals. Having already beaten Town by 4 goals to 1 at Carrow Road earlier in the season, they cruised to a 5-1 victory at Portman Road that day to record a 9-2 season aggregate.

Town's nemesis Grant Holt cannot contain his delight during City's 5-1 win at Portman Road

The highest aggregate score in a single match was on 3rd February 1968 at Carrow Road in League Division Two (2nd Tier) which ended in a 4-3 win for the visitors.

Highest Ipswich Town Score

Ipswich Town 5 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City Score

Ipswich Town 1 Norwich City 5

Highest Aggregate (7)

Norwich City 3 Ipswich Town 4

Club Connections

Clive Baker, Keith Bertschin, John Deehan, Louie Donowa, Alan Lee, Kevin Lisbie, Andy Marshall, Johnny Miller, Trevor Putney and Clive Woods are among those to have turned out for both the Blues and the Canaries.
    Joe Royle, City’s player of the season in 1981 also managed Town.

Did you know?

Ryan Bennett, City's £3.2M signing from Peterborough was a youth player at Town

Former Ipswich and England star Kevin Beattie did scouting work for City when Mike Walker was Canaries manager.

Ian Crook was involved in a "controversial" signing for Town in June 1996 he never actually played for Ipswich before re-joining City.

The late Justin Fashanu had unsuccessful trials with Ipswich when he tried to resurrect his career in 1990.

Danny Haynes, scorer of a controversial 'handball' derby goal trialled with City before joining Town in the of spring 1994.

Derby Day Villain Danny Haynes

Wes Hoolahan was one that slipped through the net at Portman Road having had an unsuccessful trial for the Blues as a teenager.

............. and finally

According to the Football Rivalries Report 2008, the East Anglian derby is the second fiercest rivalry in England after the Black Country derby between West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Let battle commence

TEAM LINE UPS:

SUBS: Jones (GK), Whittaker, Martin, Bassong,
    Canos, Lafferty, Ja. Murphy.

Match to be broadcast live

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk
    95.1 / 104.4FM, 855 kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

and Guest Match Summariser Jamie Cureton

.....and don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’ post match with Rob Butler and Jamie

OT
    C !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

ColkOfTheBarclay likes this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

:emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star:
    This will be my first game since Arsenal away and im already buzzing.<party>

Top thread KIO I shall upload some pics from the Portaloo. :bandit:

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I'm already bricking it for this. Ipswich are well overdue a result against us.

5. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

I reckon we'll be alright. COYY OTBC

6. Forgot_My_Lines

I have a kind of 1-1 feeling at the moment.

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

I have a 4-0 win feeling

8. Forgot_My_Lines

I want some of that feeling!

9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, so do I :emoticon-0107-sweat

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

The last time I went to Portman rd they won <laugh>
    Chadwick scored then got bundled into the advertising hoardings and dislocated his shoulder.

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

The last time I went to the Portaloo Mick Channon scored the winner for City in a League Cup tie ! <yikes>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Fantastic effort KIO as usual and it must take quite a while to pull it all together.
    I'm expecting quite a close game and maybe a 1-1, but I'd love us to win, if only so that our fans can sing - 'Top of the League at Portman Road!!' <ok>

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Anyone else going tomorrow? .

14. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

We're going to win 3-1 and go top of the league so you guys really shouldn't worry! :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

Don't see big "The guv" McGovern conceding his first goal tomorrow.

16. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

There's always a touch of pessimism in my optimism.

17. Forgot_My_Lines

...and from that day on...he went ugly.

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

07:38AM Pre match nerves just kicking in :emoticon-0107-sweat

19. Forgot_My_Lines

I've got the tight feeling of nerves in my chest at the moment. I hate Derby Day build up.

KIO likes this.
  20. Forgot_My_Lines

I will probably end up regretting it, but I think I'm going to buy a NowTV sports day pass. Don't want the added stress of going through 15 streams to try and find one that works consistently. It's a shame the other Sky matches look pretty damn boring.