1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just Back From Holiday. WTF?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Aug 27, 2015.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I think a very large share of the reason, for our insipid displays against the Danes, is that RK showed them too much respect.
    He seemed more concerned about the dangers of their dead ball prowess, and the problems they could cause us, than the problems we could, and should, have caused them.
    The disappointing part of playing 532, last night and Sunday, is that in both games the full backs weren't hitting the byeline, yet as soon as we reverted to 4 at the back, and Tadic was ahead of Targett, we saw both of them getting behind the defence.
    Disappointing doesn't cover it.

2. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I got the impression this was an alternative to the depression thread?

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe :)

4. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Think many people will have their differing views on what's needed and different players
    Personally for me there's players who wouldn't get in the first 16 let alone the first 11 but hey that's a different subject.
    Yes Clasie coming in might help settle the team down,but all these outgoings have truly unsettled the team,and with others "unsettled" more upheaval could be on the cards.
    Juanmi for me should start and see where he is,can't be any worse tbh.
    Need a ch in asap and as you say I couldn't agree more need more attacking options,think some of those playing are very hit or miss.
    Will Vic settle down?
    Will the board be tempted into more incoming cash?

fatletiss likes this.
  5. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

we are so missing clyne & bertrand. our attacking wing play, counter attack option has totally gone. not even sure when ryan comes back it'll make much difference because other clubs will realise we're too reliant on him alone & crowd him out (they wont have to worry about the other side).

6. fatletiss

Key part of your post is "unsettling" - that's bang on. We've had two seasons of it. Last season things clicked after three league games, this year it might be four, five or ten.

We fans must give the team and management time to make it click.

*sits back and waits for "they've had all preseason to do that" from some folks*

(not aimed at you Craig)

7. fatletiss

So let's assume you're right and they overload on our left. Are you telling me you've seen nothing from Cedric to suggest that he can offer a threat on our right?

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

yeah, know you're right to be optimistic ............ i, like the poster am UD. Gutted. Didn't really want EL, worrying we didn't have a big enough squad, injuries, etc. but once there, remembered going to Steaua & thought maybe this time we could do better. not much has changed. Cedric? maybe. such a shame that a really great squad has been ripped apart again, the windows still open (ridiculous in my opinion) & who knows what's going to happen in next 5 days. Only then will RK be able to settle things down & we'll find out what's what. IMO.

Craig smith and fatletiss like this.
  9. fatletiss

Yep. We have to wait for the window to close, see what we've got and then assess.

I remember in the first season back, posting that we should look at the table after 10 games as that gives you an idea of where we're at. Things can evolve up or down through the season, but ten games is a good pointer.

Craig smith likes this.
  10. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Ok I'm gonna try for some rational thoughts:

1) Targett and Martina vs Bertrand and Clyne is like comparing a conference pair to a champions league pair. Must not do this again.

2) Romeu can hold his head high. Won many challenges, never bottled it. His passing was made to look ordinary due to absolute lack of movement.

3) JWP and Davis are too immobile to play together. Get a holding player in and let Davis play the attacking role please!

4) Fonte needs a competent partner to feed off. He's so much better when he can concentrate on his own game.

5) saints cannot play hoofball. It's not what we're about.

6) despite the above, Pelle really put his body on the line and can hold is head high.

That'll do for now

Craig smith and fatletiss like this.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the bit about the full backs. In particular, playing 3 at the back is heavily dependent on the two wide players putting in a shift. At the moment we just don't have the players to make it work.

I refuse to criticise Targett because so far this season he's been okay - okay but no more than that. However, with Tadic in front of him, I've got no real worries about him filling in as understudy to Bertrand. The right side worries me more. Soares seems to me to offer more than Martina going forward but perhaps less solid defensively; Ron's going to have to make a choice soon and stick with it.

fatletiss likes this.
  12. fatletiss

Tadic showed we need him fit. A little harsh on Targett; we know he's a little lost right now, but he needs support not kicking. Play someone in front of him who can help him.

Apart from that, I agree with this.

13. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

It is meant to be.

14. Brixham Saint

On a positive the transfer window shuts on Tuesday in respect to rumours of departures. Would really like to see a creative CM come in rather than a DM. I have liked Davis over the last few seasons but is getting older and a PRAET for example would fit in nicely. Wishing thinking though.

15. Saintjoey

I actually didn't mean to be that harsh on Targett, I was really referring to the balance of the full back pairing. One thing that really pissed me off with MT was s challenge against Kone that was more than a 50/50 in MT's favour that he completely bottled right infront of where I sit. I know it's petty, but when you get battered, these things wrangle

fatletiss likes this.
  16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

But you mentioned Ian Branfoot. That's no antidote to depression.

fatletiss and Brixham Saint like this.
  17. Brixham Saint

Last night tactics just reminded me of the Branfoot (no point in a midfield) tactic.

18. Saintjoey

Yes. When I said "another DM in and move Davis forward" I meant with our current squad rather than talking about transfer targets. I'd also love to see a proper number 10 come in

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

As there were 3 threads all about essentially the same thing, I have merged them to the oldest of them. I'm sure you can all work out who's talking to whom.

20. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

The chances of keeping all our key players fit are virtually nil, added to that suspensions then I feel we are very light both in numbers and quality in midfield (assuming we get VVD to sure up the defence). Especially in the wider midfield positions and there certainly is little or no creativity if Tadic is injured or off his game.
    We need some support in wide midfield urgently