1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kirch off

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Jan Kirchhoff will leave Sunderland when his contract expires at the end of this month – but he could yet stay in the Premier League.At least two Premier League clubs have expressed an interest in the 26-year-old, who has also has a number of offers from the Bundesliga.

But Sunderland’s chaotic close season has scuppered any hopes they – or Kirchhoff – may have had of staying on Wearside.

Kirchhoff signed for the Black Cats in January 2016 and went on to play a crucial role in the great escape that followed under Sam Allardyce. He recovered from a nightmare debut at Tottenham Hotspur to become an inspirational and hugely popular figure in the defensive midfield anchor role.

Injuries made for a frustrating campaign this time around as the end of his contract neared.

He last played for the Black Cats in the 1-0 defeat to Chelsea last December, with his comeback prevented by another injury picked up in an U23s clash with Manchester United.

David Moyes was not minded to offer the German a new deal as he spoke publicly of building what he deemed to be a more ‘robust’ squad.

And sources close to the player say there has been no change since then, with the uncertainty over the managerial and ownership situation at Sunderland meaning Kirchhoff is now exploring other options.

Having recovered from a knee injury he is training again ahead of the new season.

Kirchhoff was one of a number of players out of contract not to be included in the club’s retained list ahead of the 2017/18 season.

Joleon Lescott and Steven Pienaar are certain to leave, with the latter expected to return to South Africa.

George Honeyman signed a new two-year deal after impressing in the a number of first team appearances towards the end of the season, while John O’Shea and Seb Larsson are understood to be mulling over an offer of a new deal.

The lack of a new manager has added to the uncertainty surrounding the club and the pair have other offers.

A number of Championship teams are interest in both while Larsson has offers from Turkey and interest from Premier League newcomers Brighton.

Such a shame how his time with us has come to an end. When fit hes as good as any central midfielder ive seen play for us but how can we justify keeping someone with an injury record like his. Its a shame we couldnt have agreed a pay as you play deal with him.

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree totally - pay asyou play would've been an ideal scenario for us - he was absolute class. We've not, in my lifetime, had as good a central midfield as him and M'Vila IMO. 2 top class players we'll not see the likes of for a long time the way things are going!

Gil T Azell and clockstander like this.
  3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Good for about a quarter of a season. I'm not going to cry about it.

Nostalgic likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Happens. Mensah was another. Made to right decision not to keep either. Good as they are.

Gil T Azell and polyphemus like this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He had to go, if a prem team signs him they're a mug.

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Best midfielder I've ever seen at Sunderland. If he gets a manager that can use him wisely and keep him largely fit, like Allardyce did, somebody will be getting a cracking player.

7. Brian Storm

Really? Not in my top three. M'Vila, Hutch and Ki for me like.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  8. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

He was absolute quality for the second half of 2015/16.

Even when "fit" last year, he looked a shadow of his former self. A shame, but he won't be missed.

9. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

A wet bit of paper is stronger than this bloke but a class player when fit.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  10. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Always felt relaxed when he had the ball in midfield, you don't get to say that often supporting Sunderland!!

Deleted likes this.

11. Deleted #

Yeah without a doubt for me. He just oozes class. I just wish we could have seen more of him.

Sunderlad and Brian Storm like this.
  12. Brian Storm

He's in my top 5 like. based on the season before last not the one just gone.

13. Deleted #

Yeah that spell he had when he first came to the club. Like Sunderlad has just said, he was so relaxed when on the ball, he just always made himself time and space. He made it look so easy. Without injuries, I honestly think he could have been running the Bayern midfield. That's how good I think he is.

14. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Therein lies the tale. Clubs like Bayern do not let quality players go as easily as they did with him.