1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

L2 Mid Season Managerial Changes

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Apr 9, 2024.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Can't remember if I posted this previously back when Harris was sacked but I think its still a worthwhile and perhaps relevant read.

Below is a link to a Bradford City fan site article (written around when Hughes was sacked) that goes into quite some detail with regards to the very low success of changing managers mid-season in League Two. Over the past 19 seasons where 76 teams have been promoted, only six of those were promoted on the basis of changing manager mid-season. MK Dons may just make that seven from 80 this season of course, but previous to that, the most recent team to get promoted with a manager change was Burton Albion in 2014/15 when Gary Rowett left to become Birmingham manager and JFH took over.

Why do I bring this up? Well there is clearly a division amongst the fanbase and this board as to whether Clemence is given the summer to start with his own ideas or whether we should cut loose and have a fresh take going into the new season. Now I'm not suggesting what should happen either way currently, but it is very interesting at how low the numbers of mid-season changes prove to be more fruitful. So for me, the board has an incredibly big decision to make very soon, do they persist half heartedly with SC and run the risk of saying its not working early in the season like they did with NH and starting the process for looking for a new manager? Do we cut loose and start a fresh with a new manager/Head Coach and see where that takes us? Or does SC prove he can do it as a number one and lead us to a title winning season?

One thing is clear from the article though of whatever decision is made, stability in some format is required and unless we're in a dire position fighting relegation, we may just need to not get trigger happy with whoever is in charge.

https://widthofapost.com/2023/10/26/changing-your-manager-mid-season-in-league-two-the-bare-facts/

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I will give this some serious thought as I've not really made my own mind up. Well there is one part of me that says one thing, but I also listen to opinion (twitter) which says another, so I certainly understand the hard job Brad and Shannon have got, it's a case of what would I do, and at this precise moment, I really don't know - so I will go away and ponder, and hopefully at some point come back with some sort of sensible answer, certainly a question well posed. Hopefully a few other members will contribute before I come back, because I certainly need guidance on this one and the more input the better.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  3. The Gills PegLeg

I don't know what the answer is. I think I've stated before that Clemence still hasn't convinced me on his ability as a Number One. There is the argument that these are not his players, well that may be but Mike Williamson has been at MK Dons a very similar timeframe and took them from being relegation fodder to being in automatic promotion contention. I can probably come up with more arguments not to continue with Clemence for the new season than I can, but a part of me also doesn't want to keep sacking managers every five minutes. The form table has us as mid table under Clemence and now the live table has us there too after last night's results, which to me is an underachievement. When Harris was sacked, we were four points off top of the table whilst it wasn't pretty on the eye, we were grinding out more results than we are now (and conceding less too).

All of the club's promotions in its history appear to have had the same manager that started the season so it shows changing mid season will not benefit us. The statistics from the last 19 years in League 2 suggest less than 10% of teams get promoted with a mid season change. If we're not fully sold on Clemence now, then are we going to be come October? It might sound slightly ruthless to cut loose at the end of this season, but Harris wasn't given much chance to turn around the form at the start, so maybe that's the way we have to be?

alwaysright and brb like this.
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

I forget which thread it was on, but it was mentioned how much 'power' certain ex players had at the club over footballing matters. Would it be possible for one of them to step into the hot seat, or is that a massive "NO!"?
    Another point, is how many number twos have successfully made the step up to manager. Brian Kidd springs to mind as one that struggled.

brb and The Gills PegLeg like this.
  5. The Gills PegLeg

Yeah I don't think we want another playing legend at the helm any time soon. We've been burned too many times that way.

brb likes this.
  6. allbluelenny

allbluelenny Well-Known Member

I feel the players are just as much to blame, we have on paper a good team, but they have just not proved they are worthy of wearing a blue shirt.
    Along with The gaffer playing this 5 - 3 - 2 formation SUCKSSSSS how many times have we seen the opposition on the attack and you find 10 players in the box in a heap trying to kick a ball (Too many defenders )
    My thoughts are to get rid and sign someone new to work with the team over the summer. We have three games left which I doubt we will even get a point from. So maybe do it now

7. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

This has been a missed opportunity for sure, but in my opinion it has also been a season of very small margins. We have clearly not scored enough goals and as such particularly at home drawn too many matches. Turning 2 of those many home draws into wins would see The Gills heading into the last day with play off still a possibility. Winning both games v bottom of the table Forest Green would also have helped.

I want to give Clemence a chance, January was a disappointing window as it turned out, but if Andrews had been fit sooner and Hurtado not been hacked into an early season end (after 2 remarkably good subs appearances) we may have scored more goals and won more games. I am not even sure the playing staff needs major surgery, more pace is required in forward areas and this has to be addressed and a genuine box to box midfielder who can contribute goals and assists would be nice. I would like a new keeper too.

brb likes this.