1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 19, 2024.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Leeds United v Preston North End
    Elland Road 21/1/2024 12pm

LAST TIME OUT

please log in to view this image

FORM GUIDE

LEEDS 11 PNE 6

A BIT OF PREVIOUS

Went to this and even at 4-1 down knew we wouldn't lose, just a bizarre night

WHO'SE IN FORM

please log in to view this image

HISTORY BIT

TOWER WORKS

Tower Works is a former factory notable for its three listed towers. It is located on Globe Road in Holbeck, Leeds, West Yorkshire, next to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The Italianate towers of the factory are a distinctive landmark on the Leeds skyline.

The factory was founded by T.R. Harding to make steel pins for carding and combing in the textile industry, and the original buildings, by Thomas Shaw, were erected in 1864–66. Harding's son, Colonel Thomas Walter Harding, employed William Bakewell to extend the works in 1899. The design of the extension was heavily influenced by Harding's love of Italian architecture and art.

The most notable features of Tower Works are the three towers that give it its name and served for dust extraction from the factory. The largest and most ornate tower (1899, by Bakewell) is based on Giotto's Campanile in Florence. The smaller ornate tower (1866, by Shaw) is styled after the Torre dei Lamberti in Verona. A third plain tower, built as part of Harding's final phase of expansion in 1919, is thought to represent a Tuscan tower house such as can be seen in San Gimignano. All three towers are listed structures, the two ornate towers being Grade II* and the plain tower Grade II.[1]

The design for the Giotto Tower included ventilation systems that were way ahead of their time in terms of minimising pollution from the steel works. The chimney incorporated a filter to remove the excess steel dust.

In 1895 T. W. Harding & Son amalgamated with two other companies to become Harding, Rhodes & Co.

The factory sustained damage in World War II when neighbouring buildings were bombed during the air raids on the nearby Leeds railway station. It closed in 1981 after 117 years of operating on the site.

Present
    Tower Works lies at the heart of the Holbeck Urban Village renovation area, it was acquired by Yorkshire Forward in 2005. A masterplan for the site was drawn up by Yorkshire Forward, ISIS Waterside Regeneration and Bauman Lyons Architects for an exemplar sustainable mixed use development. The development agreement between Yorkshire Forward and ISIS fell through and Yorkshire Forward developed the first phase. With the winding up of the regional development agencies, ownership passed to the Homes and Communities Agency who oversaw the completion of the entrance range to provide accommodation for digital and creative companies. In 2014 a new developer was sought to develop the rest of the site.

https://www.leedsunited.com/

https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Who’s Available?

In his pre-match interview, manager Ryan Lowe shared that there has been illness within the squad during the previous few days, however he was hopeful players would be back fit and available to feature.

However, the injuries which kept Ched Evans and Jack Whatmough sidelined last weekend will see them miss out again on Sunday.

Brad Potts, who limped off against Bristol City in the previous outing, has recovered from a toe infection and is expected to make his 200th North End appearance at Elland Road.

Opposition Focus

In their first season back in the Championship, Leeds United are well on track to achieve at least a Play-Off spot as they look to make an instant return to the top flight.

After losing to North End on Boxing Day, Daniel Farke’s men were then beaten away from home against West Brom, however 3-0 wins against Birmingham City and Cardiff City have seen them get back on track.

They’ve got work to do to close the seven-point gap between themselves and second-placed Ipswich Town, but there’s certainly no shortage of quality within their ranks.

Match Officials

Referee: David Webb
    Assistant Referees: Rob Smith and Matthew Smith
    Fourth Official: Tom Nield

David Webb will referee his third North End fixture of the season this weekend, following the opening day draw with Bristol City and the trip to Portman Road in October.

Webb has shown 73 yellow cards and one red during the 19 matches he's taken charge of so far this season.

MACS VIEW

Suspect the marching altogether mob will be well up for this one after losing on the pristine Deepdale turf last month, to be fair to Fantastic got his tactics spot on for this one, suspect he will do the same again on Sunday 4-1-3-1-1. Be nice if we had a front three of Riis, Keane and Mads on Sunday but that will not happen.
    Don't expect anything from this but thought the same about the first game as well

Aski, NostradEmus and Jammy 07 like this.
  2. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Leeds are a bit of a bully side. Away from home they can go in to their shell a bit if teams get physical with them.

At home we have been a different animal. I don't expect that to change tomorrow. I'd expect Leeds to win by a couple of goals.

3. lifecheshirewhite

Revenge is on the cards here,let's hope one of the lads gives the Preston player something to do his dieing impression for real,a broken leg,is that asking too much.

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Irecall that in a match in the play-offs, a Leeds player did break the leg of one of NE's players from which he never really recovered and then the Leeds team proceeded to trash the changing room costing NE thousands of pounds to fix. Revenge? If all you can think about is breaking limbs sod off!

5. lifecheshirewhite

Lol you sound about 80

6. NostradEmus

Conditions were a major player.

Preston did what they needed to do by scrapping and fouling and general skullduggery. I don't mind that, it's part of the game.

Leeds couldn't really get going as the wind affected the passing patterns.

A hard fought scrappy game but ultimately the Preston keeper should have seen red and the penalty was a penalty.

Don't take this the wrong way but hopefully we don't play you next year.

7. themaclad

Not sure why the keeper should have walked, Ledson should have for the non tackle on Piroe and the penalty was the only correct decision the idiot with the whistle got right all afternoon.
    Match blog soonish only just got home and twas a tad windy

NostradEmus likes this.
  8. themaclad

Leeds United 2 James Piroe pen Preston North End 1 Keane

Leeds United line-up: Meslier; Gray, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo (Byram, 76); Gruev, Kamara (Piroe, 76); James, Rutter (Joseph, 90+8), Summerville (Cooper, 90+6); Bamford. Subs not used: Klaesson, Anthony, Shackleton, Poveda, Gelhardt.

PNE line-up: Cornell; Storey, Lindsay, Hughes; Potts, Whiteman, McCann (Ledson, 70), Millar (Browne, 77); Frøkjær (Woodburn, 90); Riis (Stewart, 77), Keane (Brady, 77). Subs not used: Pradic, Cunningham, Bauer, Best.

Attendance: 36,570 (1,881 PNE fans).

Referee: Mr D Webb.

In the 94th minute David Webb the hapless official probably got the only decision he got right by awarding Leeds a penalty for handball, no complaints it was a handball, my beff with the referee if he had done his job and sent Ledson off about 5 minutes early for a shocker of a non tackle on Piroe he wouldn't have been on the pitch to handball it, but such is life. Piroe took the kick sent Cornell the wrong way to give United the points.
    6am get ups to go to a game on a Sunday are not recommened, got to Leeds mega early wandered round the ground as you do still thing the punk hair do on the Billy Bremner statue is seriously spooky.
    Illness in the North End camp, Cornell between the sticks for an unwell Woodman, feared the worst however was presently surpised at the performance.
    In the lead after 65 seconds Riis through brought down by Roden, clear booking not given, not the best of free kicks however landed at the feet of Millar who cross cum shot ended being put in by Keane.
    The lead didn't last long cross to the back post neither the keeper or the dfenders could get it, James heads down past Cornell, six minutes 1 all.
    Lively first half end to end with the home side always looking more likely to score, however some poor misses and some excellent dfending kept them out, at the other end Millar forced a good save from Meslier, by now the booking had started to rack up. Fair score at half time.
    Second period scrappy we were lucky not to cencded in the first five minutes of the second period with Cornell looking shaky, he nearly dropped one into his net late on. As per usual we start to sit back inviting pressure not worked all season this tactic. Sure enough we are living by the seat f ur pants they should have scored didn't do. Ledson's hack sparks a mass handbag scenario and crucially wakes the home support up. Then the penalty and the points stay in Yorkshire

Leeds boss Daniel Farke told BBC Radio Leeds:

"These are the best wins of the season. I thought it was well-deserved and they're important for the mood, confidence and belief in the dressing room.

"Credit goes to Preston because they played with aggression, intensity and they defended really well. It was important we stayed cool.

"I said that Joel should take the penalty. He is our main taker but sometimes it is difficult if you've just been substituted in. He's ice cold in these situations.

"I was 100% sure he would score and thank God he repaid my trust. He's a key player for us and he's always one of my most important players."

Preston boss Ryan Lowe told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"Gutted is an understatement. I'm gutted for the boys because I thought they were terrific in everything they did. I don't think anybody expected us to come here and go toe-to-toe with them.

"The decisions from the referee baffled me all game. To be done by a penalty decision when the ball hit his body and then rolled up and hit his arm in a natural position... it's tough to take but that's football.

"I said to the lads to be proud. We've got to use this as a motivation for next weekend to continue.

"We knew we had to be fast out of the traps and get the ball in behind. I thought it was a great game and a fair result would have been 1-1."

9. NostradEmus

Keeper came out of his box and handled. It stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity. It was Dan James who knocked it past him and it hit the keepers outstretched hand.

10. themaclad

Fair enough didn't see it properly I have Arsene Wenger's eyes

NostradEmus likes this.

11. NostradEmus

<laugh> I think we all have Arsene Wenger eyes at some points in a game.

It was tough to see first time around. TV replays made it clear.

12. themaclad

Take your word for it probably the first time he used his hands all afternoon

13. themaclad

14. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator