1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looks like we're safe

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Apr 22, 2017.

1. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Jury is still out for me, but to be fair, with the exception of the Preston result, he has done a great job in the last 10 games. It was owed to us considering the poor form that preceded it though.
    Improvement is needed next year, though I fear without Tammy,we do need a 20 goal a year striker as a priority

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The great thing about being a bi-polar transvestite (whatever that is meant to mean) ROD wouldn't be such a bad thing because with our team you never know what to expect next. Who would be the replacement for the indefatigable Lee Johnson would also be a guessing game, but apparently we are in good hands.

3. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

"But carry on as you always do and swing like a bipolar transvestite if you like."

<laugh>

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We had the opportunity to approach the likes of Paul Clement, Gary Rowatt, Mark Warburton and many others.

But Lansdown has decided to stick with LJ and he wont be swayed despite the results. Johnson said he wanted 3 Transfer Windows so he'll get his wish. He's a lucky lucky boy.

It will be interesting to see what happens if we get off to a poor start next season having had the 3 windows.

A replacement for Tammy has to be the number 1 priority as without his goals this season we'd undoubtedly have been relegated and without a suitable replacement we will struggle again next season.

I'll still like a new keeper and Tomlin either has to up his game or be moved on. He's been Mr inconsistent this season.

5. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Form in our last 10 games - 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats (18 points)

Look LJ has made mistakes - he admits that himself - but if he has learnt from those mistakes (and let's face it he was inexperienced at this level) then he has the potential to be a very good manager.

I think the biggest learning curve will be the "in-match" decision making - the points dropped when 2 or more goals ahead against Sheffield Weds, Cardiff, Reading, Derby and Newcastle spring to mind

No-one tries to do badly - decisions by Managers may be wrong, but they are made with the intention of trying to win. LJ does have a bond with our club and wants to do well with/for us. Let's all remember that.

6. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Don't understand. £15m is about average in this division. Sides going for promotion spend that on one player not a squad

7. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

City's spending is above average this season. There numerous clubs in the top ten who have spent far less. Which club spends fifteen million pounds on one player this season? Gayle and Ritchie were not fifteen million signings. I cannot think of any club that spends the majority of its resources on players that are on the bench/ loaned out to achieve six wins in six months and go close to being relegated..

banksyisourhero likes this.
  8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not sure the three mentioned, are that much better than we've already got if I'm honest.....not exactly setting the world alight are they....and not sure about "many others".
    I've backed LJ all the way, I'm not gonna say I'm a happy clapper or a LJ lover, but still think he has the football intelligence to become a very good manager.....I suppose the question is at what level.......but the fact is, this is only his first FULL season in the championship and in my opinion he seems to be getting there. Next season will be his biggest test.
    I agree he needs a replacement for Tammy or players in that are capable of scoring, whatever positions they're in. Must admit, I'm, not a fan of relying on one player to get all your goals for obvious reasons.
    I personally think LJ's downfall was bringing in too many players in one go and lacking a really good leader on the pitch.....hopefully lessons have been learnt!!

Supcon72 likes this.
  9. oneforthebristolcity

Loads of clubs over the last few years are ex premiership, still with ex premiership players......something we haven't had the luxury of!! Experience is worth more than money in my opinion..

10. Loathsneyd

Newcastle spent £20 million on just those two players and over £50m on all their transfers. Villa bought our striker for a deal that could raise to £15m as well as buying numerous other players. We had one of the smallest squads in the division so a £15million outlay is want we needed to spend just to be competitive in the division. Anyone that thinks that we could go from relegation candidates to promotion candidates with a spend of just £15 million doesn't really understand The Championship or the modern game.

Supcon72 likes this.

11. Cliftonville

Brighton have bought ex Premiership players that were in Bristol City's spending range.

Teams in the top ten are spending less than Bristol City and are not full of ex Premiership players. Examples Brentford, Huddersfield and Leeds. Brentford are bringing in players from Gillingham, Southend, Walsall and spending 30% of what BCFC are and buy much younger players than City do.

Experience ... Newcastle's team is younger than City's.

Bristol City do have ex Premiership players then Mr Johnson does not play them.

Mr Johnson has had more than enough money to have done very well this season.

12. Cliftonville

So you could only find one example of a fifteen million pound player at a club not in the top ten?

City's spending is above average this season, and it is above some clubs in the top ten isn't it?

How much money this season have Brentford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston spent NOT to go close to being relegated? More or less than BCFC?

Teams above City have much smaller squads and teams below have bigger. Much bigger.

At no point have I ever said City would be a promotion candidate.

13. Loathsneyd

It may be above average (but only just) again we almost got relegated last season with a small squad so we had to spend money and £15 million for the amount of players we have bought is not a huge amount. No team in the Championship has a MUCH smaller squad than us. We still have one of the smallest squads in the Division. So what would you say we were then? A mid table Championship team? Isn't that where we are?

14. Cliftonville

Brentford have a squad of 23 players. Younger and far cheaper. Yes their squad has been much smaller.

Bristol City do not have a small squad. Its average size.

The amount spent by BCFC is huge in the context of BCFC and v the resources of other clubs. The amount spent is large enough to fund teams pushing fur promotion.

Nothing made up there. My opinion is Bristol City after months of dwelling near relegation might fumble to near the middle of the table. Based on the above facts ... That is a dismal failure.

15. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

But Bristol City DID have a very small squad. And while we've certainly spent above average, for most of (if not all of) our seasons in the Championship prior to that our spending will have been below average.

Of course there are teams above us who have spent less but there will be teams below us most seasons who have spent more. If it's inevitable that we will keep spending, then we simply need to be more wise with our spending.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  16. Loathsneyd

So you found one team with a smaller squad than us, very much like me finding one player who cost £15million <laugh>:emoticon-0105-wink:

So if you find mid table as a dismal failure then doesn't that mean you believe we should be challenging for promotion. We moved from last season where we spend a majority of the season in the relegation zone to a season where we spent maybe one week possibly two in there. That's progress, maybe not as much or as quick as some would like but its still progress.

17. oneforthebristolcity

The money that Pep has spent with Man City.....a team that has won nothing this season.....must make him a bad manager <doh>
    Plenty of teams doing well with a much tighter budget than others but are doing well, doesn't make either necessarily bad managers......it's football not University Challenge!

Supcon72 likes this.
  18. Cliftonville

I provided an example of a club that spent far less and has an average age below Bristol City's as an example to counter points about experience, finance and squad size.

The point raised was about spending. Bristol City's spending is top ten. Bristol City spent more than enough to be highly competitive.

I place far more emphasis on the acumen on the people running the FC and the person in charge of the XI.

It has taken Mr Johnson 42 games to possibly find a settled side. I look at that objectively v the resource provided x real possibility of relegation = failure.

I thought for a moment there you were comparing Pep Guardiola to lee Johnson but that would be too wild to comprehend.

19. oneforthebristolcity

You are the one doing the comparing.......I'm just highlighting a situation, which is a nonsense as is your viewpoint in my opinion!

20. Cliftonville

I do not see comparison to competitors in the same division being meaningless. The situation raised was Bristol City's spending in this division.