1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looks like we're safe

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Apr 22, 2017.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Palace are 4th in current form...what does that mean?

2. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Yes you found just one example like I did. There are 24 teams in the Division. The spending may have been top ten if we had started with a level playing field. Which we did not. We started without parachute payments and with a small squad with only one season of Championship experience who narrowly avoided relegation.

And we have been competitive, We've beaten teams who are going for promotion, we're not adrift at the bottom and we are not getting relegated. Improving our position in an highly competitive Championship cant be seen as a failure unless you have unrealistic expectations.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

No idea how that relates to Bristol City's spending and performance in another division over 40+ games.

4. oneforthebristolcity

You tend to compare us to other clubs all the time....Burnley not too long ago....I'm just doing the same........You're right, you can't compare.....lets leave it at that!!

5. Cliftonville

Put alongside record spending I doubt fans expectations were record defeats and turmoil behind the scenes and the removal of experienced coaches.

A need for a settled a XI leading to organised structure without the ball ... Better Management of playing resources. Something which clubs in this division are superior at.

6. Loathsneyd

What's record spending got to do with it? In the modern game most clubs especially those in the top two divisions with ambition of improving season on season are going to break their spending records most years. That's the price of football. Not forgetting that we actually recouped most if not all of our spend as well.

Removal of an experience coach which has seen an upturn in form since he left you mean?

7. Cliftonville

Examples have been provided within the thread of how the Championship does not back that up. Record spending should not mean real possibility of relegation. And in answer to your question, record spending should not mean the removal of Coaches who were put into place as a means of providing stability and underpin a club fundamental (pillar).

8. Loathsneyd

Well Brentford who you have previously quoted have broken their transfer record this very season

and what does record spending got to do with a removal of a coach who wasn't up to the task?

9. oneforthebristolcity

Surely that's every managers aim? It's why so many managers float from one club to the next.......In one club they manage a settled side and create success, in another under the same principles it will be a failure and they get sacked.usually in a short period of time which more often than not, impossible..

10. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

We were a loss against Barnsley (1-0 down and 2-1 down) from being in a very precarious relegation battle in the last game of the season against a team with apparently more resources than us.. That is not mid table safety.

Lee Johnson has proved on numerous occasions this season that he does not have the knowledge or tactical nous to manage at this level, if we would have gone to that last game needing to win I believe we would have been relegated.

Bristol Rovers flirted with relegation over a few seasons in league 2 before the inevitable happened and they slipped out of the league, the same will happen to us (relegation!) if we continue in the same vein next year, they didn't believe it would ever happen either.

I gave Lee Johnson every chance, the fact that he is playing a side that many of you on here had written off as not good enough for this division says it all. It's the very reason Bristol Sport make you buy your STs in advance on shaky promises, they know they can!!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.

11. Loathsneyd

Objection!! That's all assumption m'lud and has no bearing on fact!

12. banksyisourhero

"We were a loss against Barnsley (1-0 down and 2-1 down) from being in a very precarious relegation battle in the last game of the season against a team with apparently more resources than us.. That is not mid table safety"

Fact.!!

"Bristol Rovers flirted with relegation over a few seasons in league 2 before the inevitable happened and they slipped out of the league"

"they didn't believe it would ever happen either."

Fact.!!

"I gave Lee Johnson every chance, the fact that he is playing a side that many of you on here had written off as not good enough for this division says it all. It's the very reason Bristol Sport make you buy your STs in advance on shaky promises, they know they can"

Fact.!!

"the same will happen to us (relegation!) if we continue in the same vein next year"

Some speculation in this, it is my opinion.

If he turns it around and takes us to Europe (he has 4 years left now) I will happily admit I got it wrong.

Better managers than Lee Johnson have not been given similar levels of support at this club that he has in very recent memory. that is also a fact!

BCFCRob likes this.
  13. Loathsneyd

How can your first paragraph be fact if we didn't lose against Barnsley? You are presenting facts not in evidence

Also Ciry have always offered season tickets in advance. It's nothing to do with Bristol Sport or how badly we are doing.

And anyone comparing us to Bristol Rovers need to have a serous look at themselves :emoticon-0104-surpr:emoticon-0104-surpr:emoticon-0105-wink:

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

I always though the side was good enough but its been a self imposed relegation battle for months. wrong man for the job who didn't know his best side for nearly a season. Minus Tammy?? relegation.

no player that is Citys has got better under LJ. Tomlin and others look like big money mistakes.

can see a lot more changes again.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  15. banksyisourhero

Are you completely ****in stupid?

I presented the fact that we were 1 game away from a very difficult last game of the season that may well have relegated us, that is a simple fact!

16. Loathsneyd

And if Rotherham had won all their games they be top of the league. Its a pointless argument because it never happened

17. banksyisourhero

Any argument with you is pointless!

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

???? bit of a leap from one game to if Rotherham had won all their games????

19. Cliftonville

There are Coaches/Managers that are renowned for their organisational skills, I would suggest Mr Johnson's is lacking that skill, and his constant tinkering leads to his team being poor out of possession. A switch to 4-4-2 and less tinkering has lead to improvement as posters on this forum stated months ago should occur.

20. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Whilst this isn't fact, so may be shot down, maybe the reason SL has stuck with LJ is because he didn't see a viable option out there.
    A lot of names have been thrown around by people on here, Gary Rowett being regularly referenced as someone SL should have gone for, but look at his record over the last 8 games at Derby, a club with better support and resources than we have and he's done nothing! Warburton has not done that much since he came down from Scotland (no shock to those of us that know anything about football), while Pearson and Pardew are no closer to a new job despite a large swath of managerial changes in the Championship this season, I wonder why that is - wages, or no chairmen prepared to take a risk?
    Warnock was also touted on here, but he'd already accepted the Cardiff role by the time our bad run (and LJ haters came out the closet) had started, plus would SL employ him with his history against our club.

SL has a big choice to make in the summer, does he back LJ and divide the fans (as it is the most polarising topic on this site in its history)! Or make a change?

In many ways LJ is on a hiding to nothing with a large section of our fans, if he spends more money in the summer, those that want him out will equate that spending to a certain league position ( as they did this season), and will be all over the site again if it doesn't happen. If we start well, people will say we did this last season and expect a performace dip, and if we start poorly they will say told you he wasn't up to it. As I say a big decision for SL and I hope he does consider all these potential outcomes.

I don't see an outcome other than promotion to the EPL that will satisfy the LJ haters, it's clear on here they will use any opportunity to knock him for what he does wrong whilst not concurrently acknowledging him for what he does right. Even then the inevitable relegation form the EPL the following season will be all his fault!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017