1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester City v Southampton 24/05/15 ko 3 pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, May 22, 2015.

1. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

COYGunners, I suppose.

2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Thought the atmosphere was great today; well done everyone that made the journey!

What a season. Onwards and upwards

3. crusti

crusti Active Member

we're 7th, could've been higher but Ill take it with a big smile on my face after all the changes from last season.

4. Philboyersboots

Back from the game( staying up here tonight) talking to city fans after . All were complimentary on our team and fans today. Good atmosphere, second half we bossed the game without final ball/ shot.

5. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

AHA back home safely at 19:58.

6. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Ronald looked down, didn't he? Makes me sad :(

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed today. Performance wise we were ok but maybe let City have a little too much space and say back, whereas last half an hour, I thought we were very good until the final pass/shot.

Saints MoTM for me was Victor. Thought he was very good and the only time Toure had a break was when they broke out and he had a ten yard start on Vic.

Fabulous season. Proud to be a Saint.

9. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Just back from the game, and thought we played pretty well for the majority of the game today. We started fairly well and looked comfortable, although Aguero got in behind a couple of times and Kelvin had to make a couple of decent saves (one of which he spilled, but did excellently on the rebound). The goal changed it I thought and we struggled really from then until half-time, giving away cheap possession and putting ourselves under pressure, although City are evidently a quality side.

Was really impressed by the reaction in the second half, and on another day we may have scored a couple, but probably just lacked that cutting edge and wee bit of quality. Mane had them on the back foot on several occasions, and just didn't fall for Graziano today - it was almost like he was trying too hard. Nevertheless, we were spirited but it probably just emphasises the difference between us and the top 4 (i.e City) at the moment by the fact we conceded the second after all that pressure: just need to learn to add that bit of quality in the final third and take advantage when we are on top in a game.

Still, I am a very happy Saints fan tonight, as I have been for the vast majority of the season (except maybe 'that night in Sheffield....'). Thanks to the players who stayed, thanks to the players who signed and have settled in so well and really embraced the club here, thanks to the board for investing the money back into the side, and thank you for employing Ronald Koeman. Thanks Ronald for a tremendous season: Highest points total, highest league finish, and if Arsenal win, European Football (providing we qualify of course).

We are staying up!

fatletiss likes this.
  10. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Seems a bit bittersweet finsihing 7th ... last summer I'd have taken it in a heartbeat, but after the season we've had, I'm slightly dissapointed in all honesty it wasn't at least top 6!

OddRiverOakWizards and crusti like this.

11. fatletiss

Zero disappointment from me. We've been excellent and improved from last season, both in where we finished but also in how we played.

Life is full of ifs and buts, you shouldn't let those become regrets and take the edge of good moments. This season has been a great moment.

Manage your expectations realistically.

Libby and lamby like this.
  12. fatletiss

Where were you sat Al? The city fans looked a bit bemused by our "we are staying up"

13. fatletiss

Great day out, the only thing that took the shine off for me was the reactions of some saints fans. I think when I travel away I always seem to be near someone who screams the C word at a saints player every time they make a mistake or nearly make one and any city player if they breathed.

I'm hardy a prude and not shy of dropping s swear word in while I'm at a game, but the habitual use of that word was appalling yesterday. I'm stood with a good mix of people around me and there just wasn't the need. Shame.

Is that what it's like in the Northam?

14. fatletiss

I have a suspicion that if Vic had a brother, then he was at the game yesterday. Check out the fan on the left of the one in the home shirt who were waving a Kenyan flag at Vic in the warm up. My lad spotted them outside the ground and close uo, he has to be Vic's brother!

image.jpg

15. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

I was bottom tier, nearly behind the goal. The one that always makes me chuckle is the "Johnstone's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that." - nobody ever knows how to react.

16. fatletiss

Probably close to me then! Row G, a few rows back and just to the right of the goal if looking from the fans view!

"Yaya Toure, he's won more than you"

"Johnstone's Paint Trophy, he'll never win that"

17. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Must have been really close to each other: I was in Row H I think.

18. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I saw him at St Mary's last week and he looks like Victor. Similar noses. I think I read that Big Vic has five brothers. Well built as well which must be the Wanyama gene

19. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Sums it up pretty well. I was thinking when watching the game, that in previous years we'd come to a club like this with no real expectation of getting a result; maybe just a vague hope of a flukey win. But yesterday, I felt all the way through that we could get something from it and that we were (almost) playing as equals.

On another day, that performance would have got us a point at least. But I like the fact that even against the top teams we can play with belief and look confident.

I also liked the fact that Ron did all he could to win it, taking off defensive players for more attacking options.

20. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Good second half performance from saints.
    Sadio Mane was absolutely superb and in a match which contained Aguero, Yaya and Silva. No one impressed more with the ball at their feet.
    I'm really looking forward to watching him next season and if he can link up with Jay, then we will be in for a treat