1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mind the gap

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gastronomic, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Looks as though we could well be back in the same division as the red side as early as next season. There seems to be a gulf between League One and The Championship, which is worrying for the future of the soccer pyramid. Unless the powers that be do something to even the playing field, The Championship's going to be like a mini Premiership with a few yoyo clubs only staying in The Championship for a couple of seasons if they're lucky while the established Championship clubs just get richer. I think that the parachute payments should be limited so that the relegated clubs don't have too much of an advantage. They don't need to be put out of business, but they don't need so much money that they're way ahead of the opposition.

2. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

The top half of the Championship is pretty much lower Premier League standard - there's some top players. And you're right, the parachute payment system massively skews the division making it difficult to become established.

Having said that, you only have to look at the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford to see what's possible from good recruitment and good management over bags of money.

I doubt we'll be seeing our cross-city cousins next season. Lansdown won't want a 27k, expensively-refurbished stadium in the 3rd tier & will splash the cash to avoid the drop in Jan. Also I think we'll fall just short of the playoffs, but gave a real good go at it next season.

Mind you, I'm quite often wrong - here's hoping! <laugh>

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I can't see us ever getting to the championship unless we get UWE stadium which will increase attendances which increases the playing budget. Just look at Swansea for example. They like many other sides got a new stadium and then everything fell into place. We are a long way from this so get use to league 1 at best but most likely a strong league 2 side. Hopefully never again a non league side. But a new stadium can help.

City did fantastic last season and got money to burn. They attempted to buy players in the summer for 6-9 million. Can you ever see us doing that? Well that's pretty much needed to survive consistently at championship level. City can do this. They have the funds and soon will have their upgraded stadium ready which sets them up perfectly to compete. However, these big money signings or if we are lucky to get good competent signings on a free, they want way over £30k a week. We just can't do that.

So what's the point then? Why do we bother?

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They won't go down luck is always on their side it always has been :cheesy:and we definitely won't be going up without a proven goalscorer <whistle>

5. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I think it's about time some of the millions that the premier clubs get was taken away from them, then they can go back to paying sensible wages and transfer fees and clubs in the fourth and fifth tiers wouldn't be struggling to stay in business. Maybe its time that shareholders in the big clubs started querying these fees especially players like Falcao getting £200/250 thousand a week to score 4 or 5 goals a season. But I fear like Gastro wants parachute payments cut we have more chance of hell freezing over than these things happening

6. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

10 games in and we're already relegated according to most people

7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. If Lansdowne digs deep you will probably scramble clear.

I still find it hard to believe that a side that cantered home last term is so far off the pace this season. It's a wake up call for the lower leagues because there seems to be a gulf opening up...

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

They should get behind him. He did fantastic last season and deserves a chance. He trusts the same players to step up a division and from what I been told, when you have played well, you have played the opposiion off the park. Just need consistancy. Getting rid of SC will mean a tough job for the next manager as cant change things until Jan and then other clubs know you have money to burn so proces will inflate due to that. SC hasnt lost the dressing room. I think the players will react badly if you get rid now. Stay patient. Worse case scenario, you need 3 teams to be worse than you. I'll think you will be just fine.

9. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

When you are in the same position 10 games from the end of the season and with the points gap getting wider that is the time to get worried. Just get behind the team and management, show your support and I believe you will be fine. Your players haven't suddenly become bad players overnight but they have gone up a league and are finding the standard a little harder but 1 scruffy win will help restore confidence and then they will fly