1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic MLS

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

The MLS players may go on strike soon. The season starts next month (preseason is going on now). If they really go on strike and it was known that they would probably go on strike we really missed an oppurtuntiy to pick up some MLS players, well, not that there are a ton that could make our squad but there were a few anyway.

The main issues are free agency and player compensation. The median salary in the MLS is $91,000 a year or £1,134 pounds a week. The average MLS salary is $207,000 a year or £2,580 a weak. The significant difference between the average and the median is due to players like Altidore, Kane, Bradley, etc that are on multi-million dollar salaries a year. A decent percentage of players make just over the minimum salary of $34,000 or £423 a week.

The league just got a big increase in national TV revenue (up to 90 mill a year, they dont list the local TV revenue) so the players want a large salary bump.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...he-reasons-behind-the-potential-work-stoppage

2. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Just using LA Galaxy as an example. Are some of the players for them on $34,000? Sureley thats going to create bad feeling with the likes of Keane on millions?

3. ellewoods

I should say as well that they players union is threatening to take the MLS to federal court again and try to have the MLS declared a Monopoly. Apparently the reason there is no free agency is that technically every player is not an employee of their MLS team but an employee of the MLS. It was that way in baseball and they declared the MLB to be a monopoly and thats how they got free agency as well. I remember that from watching a baseball documentary back in the day.

4. ellewoods

Sure lets just talk LA Galaxy for our example. Here is the LA Galaxy salary list from last season (it wont be to far off this seasons salary). So you can see that 3 players make basically league minimum and half the team makes sub $100,000 a year and 1/3 of the team makes sub $50,000 a year. I would think that there would have to be bad feelings just like you said between Keane on a $4,333,333 salary and most of his team mates which are making literally just a few % of what he is a season. DP is a designated player and GA is some strange off the books salary that MLS has that isnt counted towards the salary cap. LA is considered by the MLS to have only a total of $2.8 million in player salaries which you can see is some strange accounting.

Roster Spot Last Name First Name Guaranteed Salary
    1 Keane Robbie $4,333,333.33 (DP)
    2 Donovan Landon $2,500,000 (DP)
    3 Juninho $290,000
    4 Gonzalez Omar $282,000
    5 Franklin Sean $248,333.33
    6 Magee Mike $191,666.67
    7 Sarvas Marcelo $184,375
    8 Zardes Gyasi $173,000 (GA)
    9 Dunivant Todd $156,750
    10 Cudicini Carlo $150,000
    11 DeLaGarza A.J. $142,500
    12 Stephens Michael $106,005
    13 McBean Jack $101,000 (GA)
    14 Hoffman Chandler $97,500 (GA)
    15 Leonardo $95,000
    16 Clark Colin $80,000
    17 Meyer Tommy $61,050
    18 Perk Brian $58,125
    19 Sorto Oscar $48,375
    20 Villarreal Jose $48,375
    21 Garcia Rafael $46,500
    22 Gaul Bryan $46,500
    23 Jimenez Hector $46,500
    24 Rowe Brian $46,500
    25 Walker Kenney $46,500
    26 Cochrane Greg $35,125
    27 Opare Kofi $35,125
    28 Rugg Charlie $35,125

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. HCAFCHangout

HCAFCHangout Well-Known Member

Aren't all Major american sports based off this franchise system if I'm not mistaken? The only reason this wouldn't work with the MLS is because there's a free market for their 'employees' to explore

Fez likes this.
  6. ellewoods

Thats how they were all set up originally but the players unions went to court and had the leagues declared monopolies under US Anti-Trust legislation meaning they had to institute fee agency. Since there was no comparable league for players to go to there was in effect only one employer which is illegal. The MLS owners are saying that since there are other leagues around the world that they shouldnt be declared a monopoly. The players union is saying that it is not realistic to assume that MLS players are in demand in other leagues so there is still in effect only one employer.

Take that LA Galacy team above. 4 of those players are good enough to be squad level PL players, 2 though are DP but 2 are not(Gonzalez and Juninho) . It isnt like anyone is coming in for Omar Gonzalez even though I would take him as a back up CB right now and he would cost only a fraction of Davies salary. That LA Galaxy team above is easily a Championship level team. I have no doubt that they would probably be mid table. In fact only 1 of the non DP players would even qualify for a work permit to play in England which is why to my knowledge no one came in for any of them this transfer window even though most are perfectly capable, which is the players union's point, that there is in effect only one employer for these players(if they are forced to have free agency then there are now 24 employers).

7. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

It's a stark reality of what your so-called franchise system does to sport. You (America) built this from scratch, with the full benefit of looking at the pros and cons of worldwide football. Didn't you do well.

8. ellewoods

Id say a bunch of rich billionaire owners looked at worldwide football and then used the american sports system as their foundation. Eventually given enough years MLS will have free agency (id suspect this contract it will be some sort of hybrid free agency, full free agency the next contract) and there is a decent long term chance (as in 30 years or so) of relegation and promotion. There are far more cities and rich folk who want teams than the MLS is willing to give them out. Eventually, hopefully there will be enough external pressure to force them into having a true system. They are already getting lots of pressure from people who want clubs and cant buy them even though there is already 55 professional teams in the 3 divisions here. There is a $100 mill minimum investment to get a club and at last count there were like a dozen cities that want teams and they are only giving out 4 slots this next go around in June.

Fez likes this.
  9. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Id say a bunch of rich American billionaire owners looked at worldwide football and then used the american sports system as their foundation.

There you go, just what I said. <ok>

10. ellewoods

We will see how it all goes. The real positive thing about it is the quality on the pitch is improving incredibly fast. Just a few years back it was like watching a volleyball match but now they do this whole crazy passing thing.

Do you all ever get any MLS games on TV over there?

11. ellewoods

I should just turn this into an MLS thread.

Here are last seasons final 4 goals for goal of the year. Henrys shouldnt be on the list, its good but it isnt that good as with the 2nd goal on the list. Martins goal looks like he probably was trying to cross it and not going for goal so its all about the first goal for me.

12. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Don't think I've ever seen a game advertised, nor heard anyone discussing one, which, now you mention it, is strange as Spanish, Italian, etc is commonly discussed. The four goals are all superb, I would give the third the benefits of the doubt as it does look like a speculative lob; he had heads up to there being no one in support. The first for me, though; it would be wonderful if we could get tight intuitive play like that between Dame. Diame and Aluko - fingers crossed for a renaissance.

13. ellewoods

Perhaps they will talk about it soon with Lampard coming over and with NY being owned by Man City.

14. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I don't think they will; there is a huge apathy towards football in this country, folk seem to have a real problem getting behind their home grown teams, let alone lending some form of support to a team on the other side of the pond. No American sports have really hit it off over here, which is mores the pity as I quite like American Football. If MLS was more available on mainstream TV then it might breakthrough, but it is an internet view and that really does limit its appeal.
    Of course, there will be other views.

15. ellewoods

The MLS has just announced that Sky has purchased the UK rights to the MLS on a 4 year deal. Sky sports is going to show at least 2 live MLS games a week, highlights, the all star game live, every play off game live and the cup final live as well. Games will begin at 9pm and 11 pm uk time.

So if you all are going to watch and pick a club to watch if you pick SJ we can chat about them.

16. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

I could already see it on BT Sport. At first I watched it a bit but the novelty wore off. Some might find it useful for filling the gap in the summer when there's no English football. If I chose a team it'd be Seattle or Portland. Up there, maybe a bit self-consciously, they seem to have created a real football culture.

17. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

I'm highly dubious about the claim that LA Galaxy are higher than a Championship club but not seen any MLS for two seasons, so the standard could be better. Not that much more though, surely.

I'll watch as much as I can of the MLS this year. I'm quite enjoying A-League on BT this season butits on at awkward times for me.

Any football is better than no football though.

My sister-in-law is from NC so it will give ys something interesting to talk about.

18. ellewoods

I watch tons of it being in the US. LA are nowhere near a PL club nor are any other MLS clubs. There are probably 5 or so that would avoid relegation from the Championship though. The standard is quickly improving. If you haven't seen it in a couple years it will be a big change from what you remember.

19. ellewoods

Sure looks like their will be a strike (just a short one I would imagine). The season is supposed to start in a week and both sides seem unwilling to compromise at this point.

20. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

(Obviously) it's the Portland Timbers for me. Only made it 1 game last year (away at Seattle, 64000+ at the match).

We used to get the games in the UK on ESPN in previous years, it will be one of the Sky channels now.