1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Morgan - My decision is made

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by hotbovril, May 25, 2015.

1. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

In the words of Windsor Davies: Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. :)

Archers Road likes this.
  3. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Seems fair enough. He's earned the chance to play for CL if that's what he wants and we can't give it to him here. He seems to understand the fact that if we're going to ask for a lot in order to let him go, and if he's not happy with it, he's at least resigned to that fate.

This is where it might have helped (and still can help) marginally to at least qualify for Europa so in the event no CL club comes for him, we can offer him everything anyone else could. Although I don't think it will come to that.

It all leads me to think that he's just smoothing the way and there is already a deal with a club (likely Arsenal) that has been worked out. If Arsenal doesn't go for him or tries the old switcheroo trying to get him on the cheap, I would think he'd be mad at them and not us.

Basically, he's not saying anything most of us haven't already assumed and decided we're okay with.

4. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Can't begrudge Morgan anything after the season he gave. It doesnt often happen that a player is held to contract and immediately moves on with the job in hand. He could have pouted and underperformed but he was the opposite. Hope he stays, wish him well if he goes.

BaJou and lamby like this.
  5. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Yes no anger from me. He's earned the right to CL football

6. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I was wondering where he would fit in at Arsenal. They seem to have plenty of strength in midfield. What are your thoughts about him going to one of the Manchester clubs? Both in CL and both needing a strong defensive midfielder (imo). I wouldn't be happy with him going to either to be honest as I don't think it would end well and he'd be increasingly sidelined (as has happened to so many players) - would prefer him to go "home" to PSG, but it looks like that won't happen.
    My feeling is if he goes to Arsenal, he'll end up very much as a squad player competing with all the others. But, maybe, that's what he wants.
    Just hope we can get megabucks and invest in an excellent replacement .....................

7. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Good luck to him. Club and fans have been prepared for this since the start of the season.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Funny, I think he has no competition at all at Arsenal. Which of their midfielders is as good defensively as Morgan? Exactly none of them. Maybe Coquelin is close, but he's no match for Morgan in other departments.

fatletiss likes this.
  9. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

I would only be upset if he left for marginally bigger paycheck like Tottenham and Liverpool. He's said he doesnt want to do that so which of the CL perennials he ends up in doesnt really bother me.

He's served us well so i wish him well at any of them...and i welcome with open arms the shipping container full of cash the club will be getting in exchange

10. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I shall be sorry to see him go. But good lad - very straight, no badge-kissing or weasel words. I hope he gets what he wants. He should get a standing ovation on his return to SMS.

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It is a compliment I suppose that he won't leave us except for a CL club....don't feel complimented though :oops: He has behaved well since his summer flounce, so I should think....good luck to him (as I did a few weeks ago) but don't now:oops: It's like when your kid leaves home....except you haven't got the pleasure of regaining the sofa and remote:oops: Feels like I've just knocked a scab off a wound that was healed....I vote we have him put down<devil>

Tommomo likes this.
  12. hotbovril

It wouldn't surprise me at all if one of Europe's biggest clubs come calling once they've resolved their own structures close season. He may well have gone under the radar to some extent with both the media and other clubs' fans but there's no way that'll be the case with serious scouts. How many defensive midfielders in the PL are better than Morgan? Matic maybe and not by much. There was a rumour that Barcelona were sniffing around a few months ago and that doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

13. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

With another first class season under his belt this season following the difficulties of last summer, I too will bear no anger at his leaving as long as it is to a ECL club and will clap him on his return if he makes their first team.
    Wish him well apart from when he plays against us when I hope he has an absolute nightmare (but doubt it somehow)

Come on Saints lets get this business done and get Clasie in to replace him quickly to shut the media up

14. TheSecondStain

OK, but don't sell him for us, eh. :)

15. hotbovril

Funny you should say that. I've been very seriously considering offering my services as an agent at a 2% rate. I know hee-haw about the industry, have zero contacts and probably far too many morals to be any good at it but surely some pros will have their heads turned at 2% instead of 15%.

Well I can dream I suppose.

16. TheSecondStain

Go for it..!

17. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

This is what Morgan is quoted as saying:

He said: “I think my decision is made. I learned a lot last season. The goal is to stay in England. It is a championship that I like and where I have a lot of fun. If I leave Southampton, it is for a club that plays better than the Europa League.
    “There are ongoing discussions but nothing is done. But of course the Champions League is my goal. If I leave Southampton it will be for a club in the Champions League.
    “I have a two-year contract. If a club pays the right amount for me, it will be time to leave. The amount? I have no idea but I will not leave for a small price. Southampton is known to be a good selling club, the price should be high enough.”

There are a lot of ifs in there or am I just clutching at straws?

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Ha ha... I have been through that thought process myself too. I thought of starting by approaching a couple of clubs and signing up the youngsters on a low % rate so that they don't get stung and then trying to create a reputation of being a "fair and easy to deal with agent".... that night, I heard disturbances in my room and swear I saw an image of Sky Andrews and Paul Stretford haunting me.

19. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Clutch away, mate. I read this the same. But the French press can't get enough of him - articulate footballers are as hard to find in France as England - and they love the rags to riches story. That one of theirs has helped propel Saints is lapped up. PSG must look at him. But then he says he'd rather play in England and one certainty with this guy is that he knows what he wants.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Koeman says he expects Morgan to be here next season as he has a contract. I don't think he necessarily believes that, but MS will be sold on our terms. Even Morgan knows this..as he said, we don't sell cheap.