1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Morgan Schneiderlin told he can leave.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Oct 25, 2016.

1. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

Maybe we should put a "come home" clause in all our contracts from now on.

Channonfodder likes this.
  2. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Depending on how much United still owe us, I can actually see this happening. Despite his initial huff, Morgan certainly didn't burn his bridges here. He also demonstrated - by signing for us over Arsenal in the first place - that he's very well aware of the limited chances available at big clubs, something which has only been reinforced by his experience at United. Is he the kind of guy who would take a pay cut to play? I strongly suspect that he is, and given that nobody is likely to match his current earnings anyway, why shouldn't that pay cut be one that we offer? Playing for Saints is certainly no longer a barrier to International call ups either and in fact, for Morgan, he's currently way more likely to get the nod for Les Bleus wearing a Saints shirt than a United one. So, the real question is, should we reverse our policy of picking up talent on the (relative) cheap or should we go all out to re-sign someone who was, and probably still is, one of the finest midfielders in Europe? Count me in.

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Well depending on how much they value him. They still owe us money, so he could be indeed quite cheap for the player he is. I could actually see £17m-£18m getting him.

4. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Dont toy with our emotions! Whilst here he was always my favourite team player, even as we dropped a league.

What was that Grosse Point Blank line? '' if you love something set it free, if it comes back, it is...broken'' :(

Missing Lambo likes this.
  5. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

So much more eloquently and succinctly put than my previous post.

But I am still old enough to remember the return of St Mick! That worked well enough, so I'm not saying "never" just that there are issues to be resolved. Maybe those issues will prove to be an impossible stumbling block, but I believe it would be foolish of the club not to get into a discussion. And this club doesn't seem to do foolish.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think you are going to be proven wrong this summer with VVD. I would be very surprised if he didn't have some clause in his new contract about CL clubs. I just can't see why he would sign a new deal without those clauses in

Libby likes this.
  7. Saintmagic

As for Morgan, I thought he would go to Everton in the summer, and I still think he will end up there despite them signing Gueye

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I'm betting on Spurs....though it is possible he'll go abroad. May be a loan deal as he could be expensive to buy....unless United really want shot of him (is that certain or just a rumour). He is too good a player not to be first choice for someone.

9. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Why would we sign? Wouldn't be worth extending his contract and increasing his pay if he can just jump ship regardless.

Anyway, it'll work out how it works out.

Vin

10. Saintmagic

Because we get the added security of a couple more years of a solid player if a CL team doesn't come in for him? And I'm assuming that whatever the fee is in that clause we would be happy to accept that bid.

As you say though what will be will be

11. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

I'd love Morgan back but for me i would perfer a striker in Jan to resigning morgan. If we have 30 million plus to spen in Jan then i'm all for having both.

12. fran-MLs little camera

Longer contracts are good for us, providing the players remain good, but bad for us, if they don't. The player gets security and a wage rise. I don't think we'd give them a get out clause....may happen for really top players who can call the tune, but probably doesn't feature at our level. We have gained a stronger negotiating tool....after all we stopped Wanyama and Morgan leaving when they weren't into their last season...so we can keep them or at least get top dollar for them.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

£30m in Jan <yikes>

14. fran-MLs little camera

Les Reed has just gone for a lie down.

15. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

wont be long till Mourinho gets told he can leave too

16. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

It's called a stroke. :D

17. Saintmagic

We don't really do signings in January do we? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Austin (who barely played until this season, I think we just went in for him as his contract was expiring and we wanted to get it done before he was a free agent), Sharp (to help get us over the line for promotion, and that was 5 years ago now?) and Forren (we all know how that one went). It seems to me that the club likes to do all its business in the summer and that means no "panic" buys in Jan. I still think we could've finished top 4 a couple of years ago if we had gone all out for a striker in Jan when we were sat 3rd/4th in January.

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I really can't see spider coming back here. For one thing we don't need anyone for his position. Unless of course we make room for him which I honestly cannot see happening. He is still an exceptional player and should be able to get into any decent side in Europe if not in the U.K.

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well this is a bit of a surprise. I hadn't heard this and have just done a quick scout on tinterweb but can only see a couple of obscure websites touting this along with The Sun and Daily Star who aren't exactly the most credible. And not a single quote from anyone saying Jose's prepared to sell him despite the headlines. All we have is a supposed insider saying his appearances have been hampered by injuries.

Having said that, if there is any truth to this story I, and many United fans will be rightly ****ed off. The guy is class and hasn't been given anywhere near a fair chance in our team. There'll be uproar if we sell him imo and Jose will be held accountable. Can't you guys just have Fellaini instead? <whistle>

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

No we bloody well can't trebs <grr>

I can't believe how little he's played this year, thought he'd be Jose's sort of player to be honest; high energy, great tackler, good positional play and a wide range of passing would tick all the boxes for him I thought.

It is a strange one.

Treble likes this.