1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New players replacing or new formation?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by cidered abroad, Sep 2, 2015.

1. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

I'm not going to try and do Cotterill's job but the two loan signings, one would assume, have not been brought in simply to provide back up to the current holder.
    Thus, will it be replacement of Ayling and Williams or a revamp of formation.
    Ayling, IMO, has never been our best defender but is very good going forward. Can he replicate that in a different role or does he excel at attacking because he is effectively not marked as an attacker would be?

Williams is a better defender and in some ways he should not be asked to go as far forward as he often does. Is the fact that Ayling and Williams have so much licence to roam, the reason why we have been glaringly open this season?

I am thinking that a change to 4-3-3 or even 4-5-1 may be necessary to provide us with more defensive solidity. This could obviously reduce our attacking options although a front three of Agard, Kodjia and Freeman will have pace, work rate and the ability to open defences.

What do others think?

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I remember during that glorious day at Wembley you were zoned in on which players you thought could survive the step up to the Championship and those you thought should be shipped out or put on the bench.

How many of your wishes have come true cidered? Do you have any more suggestions as to how we get more kitted out for the challenge?

Next September is looking like my next trip to England but of course the dates will rest on City's fixture list, and the biggest question for me is what and at what level will it be?

3. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

It is probably a bit early to start picking those that will and those that will not.
    Some who look a bit out of their depth now may look vastly better in three months time. And of course, vice versa.
    Let's just say that the team is still adjusting to playing against teams who have a lot more in the top two inches than League One performers.
    Whether ours will meet the extra demands, remains to be seen.

4. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

I don't think we need a new formation as such, but I'd like to see us have a Plan B that we can dynamically switch to during a match when things aren't going our way. Currently, we seem to be dominating games, but not getting the goals we need, or being able to defend at certain points in the game. That is something the team needs to realise during a match and be able to adjust for.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think that we will see a back 3 of Flint plus the 2 new bods, with Williams dropping to the subs bench. This depends on the fitness of our new signings of course - they have not been getting games and may need some time to get fit.
    Assuming they DO play straight away, Ayling may be retained as another midfield option(?) but more likely we will see Freeman back in the side and Ayling (or Pack) dropped to the bench to make way for him.
    I would also like to see Agard start alongside Kodija up front - Wilbs needs some time out.Of course my opinion on this may change if we get a decent loan striker in........

The only 4 players who are almost guaranteed a place in my team right now are Hamer (due to Fieldings injury), Flint, Bryan and Kodija. All the others are unclear IMO

6. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Smith, Freeman, Little, Ayling
    Because I would try Ayling in midfield alongside Smith