1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle United v Southampton- Build Up / Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Newcastle United v Southampton

Sunday 9th August 2015

Kick off 1.30pm @ SJP

Injuries

Betting (from Paddy Power)

Head To Head

Streams
    http://www.firstrow.org/

ACS's View
    I think we will win this 2-1.
    I start with optimism and am fully prepared to give SM my full backing for the season.
    He has had to deal with a lot of **** and still has a lot of deadwood to shift so our rebuilding will take time.
    Really looking forward to the new season now.. although I'll be missing this game as I'm stuck in a Turkey (go on Obi... fill your boots mate).

I'm really looking forward to seeing this lad wear the shirt too...

2. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Looking forward to the game.

2 - 1 Win

3. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this season, it'll be a slow build under McClaren but already we're going short from the keeper and not pumping every free kick in and around the halfway line straight in to their box.

Happy with the three signings and hoping for two more. Patience will be a big thing this season, we have a tough start, really tough so I hope that if we only have one/two points from the first 4 games that people don't jump the gun and get on McClaren's and the team's back.

As for this game I reckon it'll end 1-1. It'll take Mbemba and Mitro a couple weeks to get match fit given their lack of game time over the summer so wouldn't be surprised to see them start on the bench. I can't see Colo making this game so I think I'd go with this line up:

Krul

Janmaat, Mbemba, Taylor, Haidara

Wijnaldum, Colback

Moussa, De Jong, Aarons

Cisse

Subs: Darlow, Lascelles, Anita, Obertan, Gouffran, Perez, Mitrovic

I actually think we have a stronger team/squad than many give us credit for. Hoping Iron Mike only makes the bench at best.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  4. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

I just hope we see some real passion and effort again.

Tricky game as Saints have done really well in recent seasons and our form against them is atrocious. But I have a good feeling about this one.

I see Riviere is out with an injured knee. I suspect it was Pouchy, in the changing room with a baseball bat.

anyobrien likes this.
  5. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

It could be a fake injury ahead of his move to Sunderland.

6. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Willo simply cannot be in contention at all. It's bad enough when he can 'get away' with hoofing it, but if McClaren wants them passing and playing it short, he will get into situations where he'll simply panic and make horrendous errors. He has to be sold in this window.

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

As an expert on windows.
    I agree 100%.

nufc4life1 likes this.
  8. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I'm looking forward to this season as I think we'll see the club take a step in the right direction. I agree with GCB though that we all need to be patient. It will take time for progress to be made and I can see us having a very slow start. I am hoping that we will see the team continue to develop a new style of playing and start showing a bit of fight. I think we'll improve as the season goes on which will be a welcome change from recent seasons.

As for this game I think it could go either way, so really hard to predict. As much as I'm hoping for a win, I wont be slashing my wrists if we get beat. I think McLaren has sacrificed time getting the first team to gel during pre-season in order to get a good look at players he isn't sure about. I think we could actually see some big changes to the squad during August - both in and out - as Steve looks to shift those he has decided do not fit into his plans.

A lot will depend on what has been going on in training. I don't think we've seen his first eleven play together yet, so it will depend how quickly they can get up to speed at replicating training ground form onto a match day.

9. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Also filled with cautious optimism for the new season and looking forward to watching this on telly here. 2-1 to Newcastle. Looks like Marveaux injury is serious - he has pulled somebody else's groin.

nufc4life1 likes this.
  10. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

Have the new players been made aware of the requirement to donate six points to Sunderland each season, we have had no problems with the present squad am hoping the newcomers will not be trying to make waves

11. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Dont worry its now written in their contracts. Apparently Ashley is keen to retain the Derby income and its the only way you lot are going to stay up. Obviously it will cause a riot if the fans find out but when has Ashley cared about that. In fact he has been negotiating to buy a bed linen company to profit from the inevitable protests.

12. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Love the optimism guys and girls but I'm really worried we won't have any points from the first 4 games and be rock bottom with -10 goal difference. I think a lot will depend on Mbemba getting himself up to speed ASAP and Colo making his mind up if hes staying or going but with Willo and Saylor pairing up at CB's we will leak goals.

13. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Also notice Riviere has injured his knee and may need an operation to repair the meniscus. I am assuming that we will be having this done on the National Health which will mean around the end of the season so that he might be available for the pre-season friendlies again.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Looking forward to this game lads and expecting a tough one as well. Never easy place to come and we're in Arnhem on Thursday night though I'm glad we are taking a 3-0 lead there. Hoping we get an early away goal so we can rest a couple of players. I think we'll line up something like

Stekelenburg

Cedric Fonte Yoshida Targett

Wanyama Reed

Mane Davis Tadic

Pelle

Though could potentially see Juanmi, Ward Prowse or Long in there - Think we might see Rodriguez off the bench.

I reckon 1-1 <ok>

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  15. Nolberto's Salsa Inferno

Nolberto's Salsa Inferno Well-Known Member

Cautiously optimistic for the season ahead...but don't really expect to see the benefit or major changes until after January window. .ie first half of the season is going to be ...rough. .second half will be when we can see if SM+ coaches ..tactics training etc are begining to kick in

Just hope we aren't too deep in the mire by then..

Saturday is going to be a tough day too. .2 nil loss I reckon..plus , more importantly a poor display is all too likely. .and a lot more worrying

Salomon #9 likes this.
  16. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

The opening ten games are tough. We all might have to curb expectations but considering recent seasons that shouldn't be too hard. I liked McClaren's words yesterday and he came off very well.. If he was being false in anyway he did it well. I would rather him being false than Pardew attempting to be sincere.

17. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Agreed, I saw an article on Sky yesterday that we have the hardest start to the season out of anyone based on last years finishing positions so really hope people understand its going to take a little time for all the pieces to fall together and don't jump on the team/staffs back to early on. Personally I'd be happy to be 12-15th up until X-mas and see what happens in January.

Think I may be a little pessimistic to say rock bottom after 4 games but it really could happen. Sure we will be fine come the end of the season though, expecting a finishing place around 8-12th with the current squad. If we get some quality defensive players in who knows!

18. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I'd bite your hand off for that right now <ok>

Salomon #9 likes this.
  19. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Agree with both of these points. We've got to take the long term view and stay behind the team. We could be in a horrible position in the early stages of the season but I think we're heading in the right direction. Not going to be an overnight process though so we have to accept that a bad start might be part of the rebuilding process - especially with the first 10 games or so that we have.

20. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Warewolf speak if ever I saw it... right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.