1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Feb 14, 2017.

1. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

The truth is, in order to bridge the gap on the "play-off four" we have to take points from the three away fixtures (Huddersfield, Feeds, Wendies) and win the home games against Reading and Fulham (who can overtake us if they win there game in hand). These are the key battlegrounds but all games (including Saturday's against Burton) are going to be a battle which we have to win.

We showed bottle last night against a technically proficient Toon but in truth we were dominated and owed our point to Ruddy who had his best game for us this season.

mike555 and K E M P like this.
  2. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Newcastle have the best squad in this division, no question of that. Their squad is mid-table PL IMO.

Sure we wilted towards the end and tried to stick with what we got @ 2-1 but it didn't work out. Looking at the team sheet and who started I am delighted with a point as I thought we were going to get a hiding TBH.

We cocked up and went on a bad run, now we have to win almost every game to have a chance of even making the playoffs.

At least we are still in it though which is more than I was expecting 4 weeks ago.

JM Fan and mike555 like this.
  3. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

No you're not, although I'm happy with the result against Newcastle who I think are the best team in the division. I don't think a score draw against Newcastle at home is going to be the reason why we don't get promoted, but losses to teams like Rotherham and draws with the likes of Wigan will be. Looks like it's going to be Brighton or Huddersfield for the second auto's place. The trouble is with our record against the top teams is that IF we are in the play offs then these are the teams we are going to be up against, so it doesn't bode well. I had to have a laugh when AN said in his interview that the goals came from uncharacteristic mistakes, not sure what planet he's living on but it ain't earth.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  4. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

We should certainly take a draw and be happy with it, because in all honesty we were lucky to get one, and watch out on Saturday, because there´s another ´Rotherham´ coming up.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

You certainly have a point General and we were pretty overrun by Huddersfield when they came to CR. IMO, which ever league we're in next season, we HAVE to get an upgrade on Martin, with Godfrey as cover and let's get Toffolo back at CR as well. <ok>

carrowcanario likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A point against free-spending Newcastle, home or away, is not to be scoffed at.
    Losses to Rotherham and draws to lowly Wigan, are indeed to be scoffed at - and will be the reason we fail to reach the top 6. Taking a point against the Toon won't affect the longer term outcome.

7. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Spot on Cromer,

there have been games this season where we just either haven't turned up for our defence has let us down badly:

0-0 Sheffield Wednesday (we were at home)
    3-0 Birmingham
    4-3 Newcastle (painful)
    5-0 to Brighton
    0-1 Preston (ouch)
    2-3 Leeds
    2-1 QPR
    1-0 Derby
    2-1 Barnsley (ouch)
    0-0 Brentford
    2-1 Rotherham

If your serious about promotion then you have to be winning the majority of those games.

DUNCAN DONUTS and KIO like this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly K E M P - take any of the matches you've listed above and that's the real reason we could fall 'at the last hurdle' in making the play-offs, but I have a feeling we may just scrape 6th and then anything can happen. Had we played with the same mindset as we have for the last few games through Oct/Nov, I'm certain that we would be firmly ensconced in the mix for a play-off slot.
    On the evidence of the last 2 games, I think we struggle against some of the better sides and also what difference it would have made had we not suffered so many injuries after Saturday's game, though to be fair, Whittaker had one of his better games for us.

K E M P likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Agree with that JMF, but focussing on only part of the season can be misleading. The 3-0 loss at Birmingham was followed by 4 straight wins, the loss to Newcastle was followed by 2 wins and a draw before the diappointing 10 game slump began. Even then, we should at least acknowledge the 5-0 thrashing of Brentford and the good 1-0 win over Villa. That slump was followed by the current run of 9 games in which we have lost only one game (due to an unnecessary sending-off). The four teams above us struggled to win against sides 15th or below last night, so perhaps we should apply that criteria there as well. I agree that our fate will probably be determined by the 6 pointers, but I'm encouraged by the nature of our performances and a willingness to battle for results. For me a draw was a fair result from last night, given that we worked hard to defend the 2-1 lead. If we had lost, morale could have dropped with the end of an unbeaten 6 game run. Those above us still have to face a skilful Newcastle side with Gayle back to fitness and, like you, I still hold that a play-off place is possible.

canary-dave likes this.
  10. royalbarclayfan

Have to say Rick I don´t quite agree that it was a fair result. On balance of play ( 62% to our 38%), on shots on (8 to our 3) and off (20 to our 8) target, on corners ( 6 to our 2), Newcastle were streets ahead. Ruddy made two ( at least) top class saves to prevent goals, Newcastle hít the woodwork twice, we were gifted a goal by Darlow, which I think even I could have scored, and apart from our two goals I can´t remember when we otherwise threatened. We really couldn´t have been that aggrieved if the final score had been 1 - 5, so we should certainly be very content with a draw.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

We played well, and we drew against a side who have pretty much bought the league. With a manager who should be in charge of a Champions League club.

We did alright.

oldcanariesfan, mike555 and JM Fan like this.
  12. RiverEndRick

As one fond of stats, I can see your point RBF, but the game didn't develop like that. They scored a goal after 23 seconds with a slick move that caught us by surprise. Many on here were then anticipating a mauling, but we then scored 2 goals through the alertness of Jerome and a sloppiness on the part of their defense (imagine the howls of agony if our defense had conceded those). Once we were ahead, we played a more conservative style of defending and then attacking on the break. Yes they had more shots, but many of them were wasted or saved by Ruddy. We were working to hold the lead, they were trying to get back on terms and that was reflected in the possession and shot stats. IMO, they are easily the best team in this League by some distance and we played an appropriate game given that. It could well have produced a 2-1 win, but I still hold that 2-2 was a fair result given the way the game developed.

JM Fan likes this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent post Rick and there are some tough games ahead for those above us in the next few weeks -
    Reading are away at Huddersfield on the 21st and then away at Brighton on the 25th, so I somehow don't see them picking up 6 points from those 2.
    Leeds play Wendies also on 5th, so someone has to drop points.
    We REALLY need a win on Saturday and I hope Pinto will be fit to play, though apart from Whittaker's lack of pace, he did OK yesterday. Then we just HAVE to win the derby to keep us in touch with those above us.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

Yes, we need both of the next 2 games to put pressure on those above us. Oliveira's injury is a blow, but Jerome would probably been the choice away to Burton. We could do with Pinto back, but as you say, Whittaker did well enough and Greg Downs agreed, himself an excellent RB, so he should know.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. royalbarclayfan

I´m quite content to agree to disagree Rick :) - but I still fear hugely for this Saturday, and a repeat of the Rotherham debacle <yikes>

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Praise for JR after Tuesday's game in MB's article - "One of my Newcastle Chronicle colleagues before Tuesday’s kick-off labelled the City keeper as the player he felt could cause United the most problems. I’ll confess that his answer raised an eyebrow.
    Come full-time, it was hard not to nod in agreement – with the promise of much more to come as City continue their desperate fight to regain Championship ground."
    Yes, he had a brilliant game on Tuesday and also played his part on Saturday, so let's hope his gifting of 2 goals to Wigan was a blip!!! <ok>
    Edit - just seen this brilliant article on MFW by Gary Gowers http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...arrow-road-thriller-with-the-prem-bound-toon/
    Apparently, someone on Canary Call branded CJ lazy!!! I guess he/she had been listening on the radio and doesn't even know where CR is!!! <doh>

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  17. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I'd still be much more comfortable if we started with Godfrey at RB

JM Fan likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

I was listening to that for once while I did the Prediction Leagues results. He wasn't half torn into by Greg Downs and Rob Butler!

JM Fan likes this.
  19. RiverEndRick

Pinto is 'touch & go' for Burton so fingers crossed.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

All it takes is a knock to our only left back striker or right back and we have no adequate cover.