1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v West Ham United

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jul 26, 2015.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

FRIENDLY TIE

please log in to view this image

Norwich City 0 - 1 West Ham United
    Toffolo OG (82')
    FT 90+0'
    HT 0 - 0
    Attendance:20,130

Date: Tuesday 28th July 2015
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

With less than two weeks to go before the start of the new Premier League season, Norwich City welcome West Ham United to Carrow Road for a friendly tie which commemorates the first ever fixture played at the stadium. Tuesday's match will be City's penultimate friendly before the new Premier League campaign begins and the occasion should hopefully attract a sizeable crowd. The Canaries go into the game having won four out of their five pre season games so far, last time out a strong second half showing saw them come from behind against Bundesliga top flight side FC Augsburg to secure a 2-1 win courtesy of goals from new signing Youssouf Mulumbu and Lewis Grabban.

Highlights of Norwich City's 2-1 win against FC Augsburg

Carrow Road a brief history

As the 1934-35 season drew to a close their first season in League Division Two, the Canaries board received a letter from the FA, dated May 15, expressing their concerns with The Nest being used to host large crowds. If City were to continue to play League football they were going to have to move from their current home on Rosary Road to a new purpose built stadium. Unbelievably, just 15 weeks later on the 31st August, they welcomed West Ham United to Carrow Road for the first match of the new season.

Work begins on the River End terrace in June 1935

Impressive even by modern standards, never mind pre-war conditions, and sparked by the announcement on May 18 by City chairman Billy Hurrell that “there is a grave possibility of The Nest being declared unsuitable” work on a new stadium began.
    • June 3rd plans were submitted to Norwich City Council and the chief constable for approval.
    • June 11th builders Harry Pointer Ltd started making the terraces – at 3.45am!
    • June 28th constructors Boulton & Paul started the erection of the Main Stand
    • July 25th T Gill and Son began building the dressing rooms and club offices.
    It wasn't only the speed of the building work which amazed the rest of football but the scale of it. Within six months City's new ground was heaving as a crowd of 32,378 spectators were packed inside for an FA Cup tie against Chelsea.

Aerial view of the completed Stadium

When first constructed the only covered area of the stadium was the Main North Stand on Carrow Road, however in 1937 a roof was put on the Station End terrace and was renamed the Barclay End. This was in honour of Captain Evelyn Barclay, a vice-president of the club who donated the monies.

King George VI became the first reigning monarch to go to a second division football match on 29th October 1938 when he attended Norwich City's game at Carrow Road against Millwall

Rare colour photograph of Carrow Road in 1935 taken by local photographer George Plunkett

With the other three sides of the stadium all being renamed over the years due to various sponsorships, the east stand is still known as 'The Barclay' to this day and historically has always been the preferred choice of the more vociferous Canaries fans.

The Stadium as it is today

First competitive match played at Carrow Road

Norwich City 4 West Ham United 3 - 31st August 1935, Att 29,779

First goal scored

Doug Lochead v West Ham United

Highest attendance

43,984 v Leicester City, FA Cup 6th Round, 30th March 1963

Notwithstanding the fact that the Hammers were the first to play at Carrow Road, there have also been many who have featured both as player and manager for the two clubs ever since ex West Ham player John Bond arrived to manage City in 1973. Indeed Bond brought with him another ex Hammer Ken Brown as assistant who later took over as manager when Bond left for Manchester City in 1980. Those to have played for both sides thus far include; Dean Ashton, Craig Bellamy, David Bentley, Mark Bowen, Kenny Brown, Luke Chadwick, Tony Cottee, Dale Gordon, Robert Green, Henri Lansbury, Malky MacKay, John McDowell, Scott Parker, Graham Paddon, Keith Robson, Alan Taylor, Steve Walford, Mark Walton, Elliott Ward and most famously World Cup winner Martin Peters. Quite a list that and yet another connection is Glenn Roeder who was a much maligned boss at both Upton Park and Carrow Road.

Team News

Alex Neil's match preview

“It will be nice for the home fans to see the boys. We have been up and running in pre-season for a while now but we can show them all the work and the progress the lads have made and how fit they are and how hard they are working. I don’t think the West Ham game will be a true reflection of how the Premier League games might go, because they still have the Europa League so I imagine it will be a squad team from them and ours will be mixed and matched as well. We had a lot of guys who played 90 minutes on Saturday so to ask them to go Saturday and then Tuesday and the following weekend would be asking a lot. We’ll make sure we spread the game time around a lot this week.”

After selecting a strong side to play against FC Augsburg, Alex Neil has a pretty good idea how he'll set up his side for the opening Premier League fixture against the Eagles

“It was a strong team, but I have other boys who could potentially come in,” he said. “Jonny (Howson) managed to get half-an-hour because I gave Nathan (Redmond) 60 minutes. I have Graham Dorrans, Ryan Bennett, Gary Hooper, Gary O’Neil. I have a lot of players who have done well over the course of pre-season and as I continually tell them, 11 doesn’t split into 25, so they know I have to whittle it down to get my strongest team. Players can certainly change your mind on form and how they approach it but I have a good idea how I well set-up for Palace. I am always thinking that far down the line.”

How City Lined Up

NORWICH CITY: Ruddy; E Bennett, R Bennett, Turner, Toffolo; Tettey (Howson 45), O'Neil (c); Odjidja Ofoe, Hooper (Josh Murphy 78), Andreu (Redmond 45); van Wolfswinkel (Loza 90). Subs not used: Rudd (GK), Jacob Murphy, Hall-Johnson, McGrandles

Match to be broadcast Live on Mustard TV

Freeview CH8 in Norwich and surrounding area

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I know this thread is a bit previous folks but I won't have time to post it any later,
    so if neccessary I'll give it a 'bump' on Tuesday. :biggrin:

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great piece of work KIO, as are all your efforts! Definitely 5 stars from me! <ok>

KIO likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave <cheers>

canary-dave likes this.
  5. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

Wow! That is all.

KIO likes this.
  6. Nathan Barley

Nathan Barley Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star:

KIO likes this.
  7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

What a cracker KIO. Good work mate. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!!! <ok>

KIO likes this.
  9. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Excellent KIO, really enjoyed reading that.

Thanks a lot.

KIO likes this.
  10. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

No need for the 'bump' KIO.
    Stickied until Tuesday <ok>

KIO likes this.

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like the game will be Live on the Mustard website unfortunately, but hopefully there will be a stream out there somewhere for those outside of Norfolk.

If there is I'll find it :bandit:

canary-dave likes this.
  12. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Very irritating if not however if its broadcast somewhere there will be a stream.

13. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's advertised on Vipbox but no way of telling for sure until kick off tomorrow. Fingers crossed <ok>

KIO likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'll be in my seat in the Lower Barclay!!!!! :emoticon-0137-clapp

Is anyone else going to the game???

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Gambia Canary

Gambia Canary Active Member

Yes indeed, Lower Barclay with the Bosslady. So if you see a multiracial couple being thrown out by the stewards, that will be us!

chinacanary likes this.
  16. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Great bubbles of fire! Great thread boh

17. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

You have raised the bar KIO - terrific!

KIO likes this.
  18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

KIO likes this.
  19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Looks like we're going to see plenty of changes tonight, Alex Neil's match preview added to the OP <ok>

20. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member