1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

o/t speeding

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DJBlackandamberarmy(No4), Mar 11, 2017.

1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Don't worry dj we'll look after your mrs while you're in Armley. 6 months will fly be and you'll never suffer with constipation again...

Amin Yapusi likes this.
  2. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Yea
    Yeah , that's reassuring - I was thinking they wouldn't flash if they were inactive at the time ,,but maybe so

3. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

You've had a mixed bag of advice. I have done 3 courses (the last 3 weeks ago). I drove on 12 points (attended magistrates); I'm on 3 points now. Picking up multiple points is not hard and they do get awarded.

My advice is wait and see what comes in the post. 3 year limitation between courses (4 hours up here). 9 points will be 3 x £80 fines then court if more. If it comes to that give me a shout as a solicitor mate made sure I knew my real options and not the bullshit ones. Good luck.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Junior recently got flashed on one of the new smart sections of the M1 and just got a letter saying please watch your speed in future, next time you will be prosecuted.

5. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

"PS as youre OLMs son, we wont take this any further"
    being a family member has its perks?

6. Muffinthegoat

Muffinthegoat Well-Known Member

7. bobby ace

bobby ace Well-Known Member

Have recently got my first ticket for speeding (40 in a 30 zone. Yup, I'm hardcore.) Don't know how I've got away with it so far. Anyway, I've heard the awareness courses they run are torture, so I'm inclined to take the 3 points/£100 fine option. Hard to see how it will significantly affect the amount of insurance I pay. Anyone think otherwise?

8. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Should your luck change and you suddenly find yourself with a speeding summons and nine points on your licence you might regret not suffering the torture of a speeding seminar ...... just a thought?

dennisboothstash likes this.
  9. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

After driving for over 40 years with no blemishes got caught twice in a month doing 37 in a 30 mph zone. A third one some time later saw me decide to go on a speed awareness course. Not too bad though it is a waste of time suggesting anything other than everything no matter what is the fault of the motorist is a waste of time. A couple of things did surprise me, especially lack if awareness. Won't say what it was incase they do the same with you.
    One helpful answer. We were asked what was significant about 1966 other than England winning the World Cup. My answer that Hull City won the third division was not the one they had in mind. 1966 saw the highest number of road deaths in peacetime, just under 8,000. Last year, with more cars on the road, there were 1,700 yet we keep hearing that to reduce the "carnage" we need ever more speed restrictions and lower breathalyser limits.
    I did quote one figure I knew, which was there were 7,000 deaths the year the driving licence was introduced. There are now 15 times more cars on the road so the same ratio would see 105,000 deaths. Which suggests we are pretty good, safe drivers nowadays. Needless to say that didn't go down well.

10. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

My course was slightly cheaper, a reasonable number of date/time options and the new 4hr format and content is informative. Give it a go, you might learn something - all 20 odd on mine did.

11. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Or drivers are about the same, and vehicles are 15 times safer. Or something in between the two extremes.

12. Barchullona

True. A bit of both. Better lights on cars and in the streets as well.But suggest that the 70mph speed limit could be increased as cars are safer and stop in half the distance they did when that limit was brought in and you will get met with blank looks,

13. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

I didn't suggest that and I wouldn't.

You and you're fertile imagination!

Cars are far more crashworthy and protect passengers better. And then there are seat belts. And airbags. And all sorts of other stuff. Drivers have likely not got much safer.

14. Barchullona

I didn't say you did suggest that. You and YOUR fertile imagination. Less pedestrians injured due to better Street lights, better car headlights, better brakes...

15. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Do the course, you might learn something. I know I did.

16. augustatiger

augustatiger Well-Known Member

Daft question ..Are you sure you were caught.Not all gantries have cameras on them even if there are markings on the road.They move them around to other gantries from time to time.

17. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was 80mph the speed on your vehicle speedo or on a satnav system?

A satnav gives an accurate measure of your speed (a little bit before it displays it) as it's constantly calculating the time taken to travel a distance and smoothing it to account for errors in location (GPS is only accurate to within 10m), but the one in your vehicle will say you're going faster than you are as it's mechanically calculated. It's a built in safeguard to cover against how the circumference of your wheel changes with temperature/tyre pressure, weight of the vehicle, age of tyres, etc. If you saw the Guy Martin thing where he did the average speed race in the transit van, he had some guy down with all sorts of computers to calculate the speeds he needed to be at certain places on the route. The difference on the vehicle speedo between teatime one day and mid-afternoon the next was something like 4%. I know our vans at work when we're fully loaded it's almost 10%, so when it shows 77 that's when we're doing 70. I've probably done 30,000+miles a year for the last 3 years going through cameras (static and average speed) working to my satnav speed instead, and not had a single ticket from them.

Given that for speeding tickets you get 10% +2mph over the limit before you're charged (I think due to the inaccuracy of speedos), in normal conditions you actually have to be doing 80 to get a ticket on the motorway anyway so I'd be surprised if you got one if the dial said 80. If it's new smart motorway they might have just left the cameras on a lower speed to test them before making them properly live.

KentTiger and Chilton's Hundreds like this.
  18. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I did a speed awareness course close to 10 years ago. It was about 2 hours long and one of the best and most informative things I've never done.

The whole two hours was almost entirely about how to avoid getting caught speeding and when and how you can appeal if you do.

19. BrisbaneTiger

BrisbaneTiger Well-Known Member

When i was at college (Which was a good number of years ago :cry:), the lecturer we had said the speed limit had to be at least +10% because speedos aren't calibrated once they leave the factory. So any conviction for speeding at anything less would be quite easy to challenge as the driver would just need to say i was doing what my speedo said, and there is no legal requirement to get any calibration done on it.

But before anyone goes 77mph in the hope you are 10% under then you may find you are actually over and thus doing a lot more than you think. Saying all that, how would you stand if you could then prove your speedo was showing 30mph under for example. They can't really say you was speeding if you was doing what the speedo said was the right speed.

20. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Got flashed on same stretch of road on way to Manchester airport last week
    Definitely weren't speeding so we assumed the cameras were still being set up
    TWT I suppose (although I wasn't driving anyway)