1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Of our current youngsters, who do we think will be able to cut it at a high level

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by miff33, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

I am not an expert by any stretch. Hell a few years ago I thought Nicky Feath was gonna be the next Nicky Barmby!!! However, I agree with you on Emerton, but at the moment he is a mere baby by comparison. I think an on-form confident Mark Cullen is the best prospect at our club using first team potential relative to age as a measure. I think his holiday with Peter Taylor must have shot his confident to bits. I look forward to seeing him as a reserve team regular and he WILL score goals. As I say, Danny Emerton is a baby and has plenty of time to develop. I expect Gavan Hoolan to be pushing for a first team place regularly in two years. So much must depend on who mentors them, and as I have said many many times, the one thing that none of see on the pitch is attitude. That is the one attribute that can make or break a player. Ref- Gary Bradshaw, who I believe is the best prospect never to make the grade. What a waste!!!!

2. Jer

Jer Member

I think Devitt has a bright future. When I watch him his passing ability always impresses me, he often pulls off passes I don't even think are on. He does however I think need to toughen up a bit, and improve his tackling as I think he often times them just wrong but it will come!

As for Cairney I think most people now have a concern with his attitude, he obviously has some ability and a good awareness of the players around him but needs to get it into is head that he still has to improve, there needs to be more end product.

Cooper I think in contrast has a very good attitude and I hope he makes it, though I haven't really seen him play enough to pass judgement.

As for Chester, Stewart and Evans I think they are all part of our recent form and I'm excited about how far they can take us.

3. guitartrax

guitartrax Active Member

I,m not sure any of the young lads mentioned by the OP could make the step up, Cairney was impressive enough when he first made the team but he hasnt set the world on fire lately. Devitt has someone already pointed out not great in the air and also gets shoved off the ball fairly easily. I,m not saying they couldnt make a higher grade, but just not at the moment.

4. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Chester and Evans - hope we get him full time. I like Dean's idea of bringing in United's kids - pretty obvious, but effective.

5. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Chester - A cracking defender (so far...)

Stewart - When he's played well, he's played VERY well. Pace and a few tricks is what you want from a winger, hopefully he'll start scoring.

Cooper - I was very impressed with him last season, and he showed what he's capable of. He should make it to the top.

Cullen - Not been too impressive, but he gets in the right positions and has a neat little touch. Needs Mrs Massey to teach him the offside rule though.

Cairney - Like Cooper, he impressed more LAST season. A good touch and a decent ball-player, his biggest fault is never making that incisive pass.

Atkinson -I haven't seen as much of him as I would have liked, but I've been very impressed so far. Another one who could do well.

Devitt - Largely impressive so far, but sometimes he needs to make the simple pass instead of going for a long ball. Needs a goal or two as well.

Emerton - Never seen him play for City, but on account of the fact I've played with him I've got to say he's a feckin' good footballer & unlike Cairney, not a big head.

As for the others (Holohan, Bradley, Wilkinson, Ford and Townsend), I've not watched them before. I desperately need to get down to a few reserve games and see these lads before I can pass judgement.