1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - Film/TV Locations

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jun 19, 2013.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Inspired by Rollers pub quiz thread and Kilburn's film contributions. Does anyone know of any interesting Film or TV locations in or around Shepherds Bush or H&F?

I suppose you could mention locations from anywhere really, especially if they're particular to where posters on our board live. I'm sure they will be of interest. So feel free to add any that might be of interest.

When I was a young boy of eight or nine, I remember them filming an episode of the Sweeney outside my flats in South Africa Rd. Carter and Reagan came flying around the corner from Bloemfontein Road into S. Africa Rd and stopping where the club shop now stands in that brown Granada. They had to do about six takes. When it was actually screened I could just about see myself in the background.

2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

I saw an episode of 'Homes Under The Hammer' a few weeks ago that had a place in Northolt on it.
    Funny it looked quite a nice place to live...other than the ****hole it really has become.

3. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Quadrophenia film locations

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/q/quadrophenia.html

The Who’s album is used as a framework for teen angst and a recreation of the early Sixties weekend battles between supersharp Mods and leatherclad Rockers.

The Who hailed originally from Shepherd’s Bush in west London, and this is where most of the London scenes are set. Fiercely Mod Jimmy (Phil Daniels) rides his scooter along Goldhawk Road to meet Steph (Leslie Ash) at Ashken’s supermarket, which once stood between Bamborough Gardens and Woodger Road.

On the other side of the road, another Quadrophenia location, though, is still thriving. Forget fish and chips, the real old London tradition, now hard to find, is pie and mash – beef pie, mashed potato and parsley liquor. If you’re brave, and you can find them, you could try eels, too.

The pie and mash shop where Jimmy and greaser pal Kevin (Ray Winstone) eat after meeting up in the bath-house is Cooke’s, 48 Goldhawk Road, alongside the entrance to Shepherd’s Bush Market. There’s been a pie and mash establishment here since 1891, and it’s been Cooke’s since 1934. Now – unbelievably – there are plans to redevelop the block. Visit Cooke’s website and help save this classic institution now.

This narrow, bustling alley of Shepherd’s Bush Market, running alongside the railway between Goldhawk Road Station and Shepherd’s Bush Station, is the benighted passage along which Kevin is chased from Goldhawk Road tube station and beaten up by Mods.

please log in to view this image

Quadrophenia location: the pie’n’mash shop: Cooke’s, 48 Goldhawk Road, London W12

please log in to view this image

Quadrophenia location: Chasing the Greaser: Shepherds Bush Market, Goldhawk Road, London W12

4. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

A place in the country had the house next door on it,,,,The owners didn't like it because it was overlooked....yes that was me ooogling out of my window....watching what they were doing next door :emoticon-0111-blush

5. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Out rd was also on Escape to the country although they were wanting to leave here!!
    Was also on June Browns Who Do You Think You Are, she lives round the corner.

6. Belfasthoop

Belfasthoop Well-Known Member

A lot of the brilliant "Game of Thrones" is currently filmed here in Belfast, at the Titanic Quarter and in surrounding Countryside.
    My mates kid was recently given a part(he was one of the two Lannister twins taken hostage and subsequently murdered by the Karstarks). interesting story about Jamie Lannister, played by Nikolaj Coster- Waldau.

He and some of the cast were at a restaurant in Belfast. The waiter came over to take the order and recognised him and some of the others. The other cast members were welcomed enthusiastically. "You're Jaime Lannister, aren't you?" said the waiter.
    "Yes, I am"

Waiter, under his breath, "You're a right c--t".

"Pardon me?"

"I can recommend the Halibut.....C--t".

"Its better than a bowl of brown"(reference to peasant fare described in the series).Laughter around the table.

The waiter then took the rest of the orders "can I get you anything else? No? Ok then, smiled at nikolaj and mouthed C--nt again.

The actor told this story in a interview about how fanatical, fans can be......except in Belfast!

7. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

The Blue Lamp filming locations

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/b/Blue-Lamp.html

"The climactic car chase, around the streets of Notting Hill and North Kensington, climaxes as Riley is cornered at another lost landmark, the White City dog stadium on White City Road, off Wood Lane, Shepherds Bush, W12. The stadium, originally built for the 1908 Olympic Games and the Anglo-French Exhibition, stood north of the old BBC Television Centre, and was replaced by new offices for the broadcasting corporation in the 1980s."

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

9. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

John Cleese's Ministry of Silly Walks was filmed coming out of the newspaper shop on the corner of Thorpbank Road in Shepherds Bush. Used to go there on a saturday evening to get the classified results papers, Evening News & Evening Standard......owner was an R's fan....

10. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Another old favourite.....some of the original Minder series was filmed around the Bush, Brooke Green area......Daves' pub was just off the Holland Road, Arthur's car lot was off Brooke Green

11. Bushman

Bushman Member

Boys From The Bush

[video=youtube;YBI8Po2_APw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBI8Po2_APw[/video]

[video=youtube;28MM75MrewU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28MM75MrewU[/video]

More Here!

12. Rollercoaster Ranger

Rollercoaster Ranger Well-Known Member

Familiar pub in the first clip Bushy, the only surprise for me is that Finglas isn't in there.....

Very familiar stadium in the second.

13. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

'Let sleeping dogs lie', an episode of Only Fools and Horses was filmed on Horsenden Hill. From memory you can just catch a glimpse of my erstwhile favourite watering hole, the Ballot Box.

14. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

There was that scene in Porridge where some loot was supposedly burried right in the middle of HQ although i think they tried topass it off as Elleand Road it was most definately HQ....

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've just thought of a couple of more in our ground. Do you remember the old MOTD title scenes from the late 70's & 80's? Well that was me and my big sister. We went to Christopher Wren and Hammersmith County schools. Our schools sat in the Ellerslie Rd stand and had to turn over cardboard placards that formed the faces of Jimmy Hill and the MOTD logo etc.

Gary Lineker and Gazza also filmed the '' Gazza's Tears' Walkers crisp adverts there too.

I also remember a one-off BBC drama about a girl who was the first woman to play in mens pro football. The team in the show played in our kit and at LR. I can't remember what it was called but it was before Bend it like Beckham.

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Why did they have Tim Healy, a good actor but a professional Geordie, playing a West Londoner? Bob Hoskins too grand for it by then I suppose.......

They filmed external scenes for the new version of Upstairs Downstairs in a regency square round the corner from me. Di Matteo used to live there, until last summer (now he has a London property to sell...) my son used to get his mates to go and stand outside his house and shout. But its 100 miles from Shepherd's Bush........

17. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Are you telling me Healy WASN'T a West Londoner sb ??
    With that accent i thought i'd been fooled for years and he had been mimmicking (rather well) a fellow from the North East
    :emoticon-0104-surpr

18. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I was there when they recorded that part of the film. It was done at half time and the announcer asked us all to cheer when she scored (a penalty I think). The film was crap BTW.

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That was the one, I think her name was Roxy or something similar.

This was also filmed at HQ in 1975......

[video=youtube;tDHfXyVARi8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHfXyVARi8[/video]

20. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

This should be familiar to many on here...

[video=youtube;FbetTNetB-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbetTNetB-k[/video]