1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Clement

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Don't know a lot about him to be honest..

3. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

My issue is with the whole DoF and head coach system. Don't trust congrrton with our transfer kitty, and don't understand why we should be offering our top football man an inferior role to that of his opposite number

5. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

HITC not the most reliable and seems a strange time to announce this story.

6. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Think this has legs myself, heard both mclaren and fat fyass has been interviewed, congerton wants clement

The Relic likes this.
  7. ROBOJOHN

ROBOJOHN Active Member

8. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

We're having a different manager every year at the moment. So if Congerton and Short want to try Clement, let's give it whirl. If he only lasts a year and fails, well what's the difference? It's no worse than before, is it? I don't know anything about Clement, but he didn't get to Real Madrid for nowt. They like winners there.

9. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

We have taken a punt too many times IMO....PDC was a punt that went wrong, Poyet had no premiership experience, another punt that went wrong....didn't work out. We have a huge fan base, we are a big club who has demonstrated we can spend millions on players, so why can't we go for an experienced manager who knows this league inside out. These managers who are lasting a year or so are costing the club a fortune in contract pay offs. Please Short get it right, get a manager who knows this league.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  10. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

Ronald Koeman has done a terrific job for the saints this season albeit his first time managing in the PL, I believe Short has tried but hasn't had the luck.. Steve Bruce, MON both brought in by short with PL experience but failed, him going down the DOF role means he's trying everything he can for the club.. Admittedly like others I don't know a lot about clement but I'd rather him over allardyce..

11. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

This is all about opinions, and believe me, I am not really a huge Allardyce fan, however, he knows how to keep teams in this league quite comfortably...but why would prefer a complete unknown over a guy who knows what it takes. For the record, I would try and tempt Moyes back to England. I think he will be a better manager for his experience at Man U and in Spain.

12. newbottle bank

newbottle bank Active Member

all this assumes we're staying up I take it, or would clement still come if we go down ?

13. Aussie blackcat85

Sure is mate, I suppose I'd like someone fresh coming in.. Like you said mate we're a huge club with great support, I reckon we deserve better then Allardyce. The article says that he's worked with congerton while at Chelsea so he's been around the league just not in he top job.. Like others have said he must be half decent if he's at Real Madrid, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not so sure moyes would even come to us and I reckon he's taken a massive hit after his utd failures..

14. Aussie blackcat85

My guess is he'd still come regardless of what division were in, the club would be taking that into consideration IMHO..

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not really sure why you don;t trust him - deals for Toby Alderwireld and Micah Richards lined up by Congerton - Gus didn;t want them - those 2 would definitely benefit our squad - Coates was requested by Gus apparently as well - (found this out from my mate at the club the other week) - at this point I would've gone to Ellis Short and said "he needs to be replaced as manager henceforth"

DoF is the way forward for the club with Ellis in charge - it works at Spurs and Newcastle so why not with us?

16. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Were Gomes, Rodwell and Jones Congerton deals?

Look, anyone can name names and create theories based on rumour, but my opinion is that I prefer a manager with experience to choose our players in the transfer market. Right now I have very little faith in our ability to pick a player - based on the signings of 2 directors of football.

Also, Spurs and Newcastle are 2 clubs in a league of 20. That's hardly a majority.

I know I'm being very negative, and I admire your positivity, but I worry about this. I would rather have someone like Pulis running the show.

Mackem-Tiz and Deleted like this.
  17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Tell me your thoughts on Rodwell, Gomez and Jones before we signed any of them? Were they negative? A DoF only sees what we see and everything was positive about all three of those players when they came to Sunderland. The only reason anyone questions the DoF is because they haven't worked out. in poker, if you go all in with a full house aces over kings and get beaten with 4 of a kind (8's) is it a bad decision to go all in? Not when you do it - only after the turn over of the cards - it's just unlucky - and you can;t play poker with hindsight - neither can you go back to the start of the season and change your mind about a player. Gomez was the only question mark on those three players but he was free and cheap wages. The other two, when we signed them, looked the part and the DoF did well in getting them to our club

18. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

As long as he can get the players to respect him and doesnt take any **** from them then I'm fine. Clement has coaching experience in the Premier League, Paris (PSG) and Real Madrid so has seen the top level across Europe. He should be able to work with the DoF system without any problem.

19. Aussie blackcat85

Rodwell i believe we got spanked for that, 10 mil for a bloke that'd played 16 games over three seasons with city.. Was it a panic buy after Gus couldn't get his BF Borini? I was stoked to get jones, thought that was a good bit of business for us but injuries have interrupted the bloke. Gomez? Well I'd rather eat a squashed kebab in the parking lot at my bottleo then watch that kent play...

Disco down under likes this.
  20. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I don't, he's looked excellent the few times he's been asked to play DM and he could be our solution to a long term ball playing centre back as it's his natural possition. Stepping up from a CB to a DM is one thing but trying to turn a CB into a box to box is idiocy only Gus was capable of, surprise surprise it didn't work at all. He's been played as a box to box all season and he's about as much a box to box as Connor is an inside left.