1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pelle / Mane

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Getting to the Champions League places with only 1 striker is a pretty impressive achievement if you ask me.

crusti and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  2. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Ummmm

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Ummm what?

4. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Pelle needs to be taken out of the reckoning at the mo imo,his confidence must be shot,but to not get an out and out striker in the Jan window I think will become a big mistake,something that will ultimately lead us failing to qualify for the top four.

5. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am afraid that excuse has been repeated ad nauseum and there is nowt we can do about it, no one has come up with a possible name yet, probably Defoe was an option we missed out on, but would have been short term and not what we need in the long run. Decent available strikers are very rare at the moment, if you know of one please tell.

6. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

They worked well as a pair for a time, but that was in a 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) formation.

7. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Agreed. Dropping him is not going to help his confidence. What he needs is a goal. With no alternative to Pelle I think we just have to appreciate his other qualities and hope he comes good. Koeman has set him up as a target man laying off for a host of goal scoring midfielders. That for me is the bigger problem. Should be seeing more goals here.

Anyway, a great season is threatening to fizzle out a bit so nows the time for us to get behind the team Tuesday and for them to prove the doubters wrong. COYR!

8. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I don't understand why we spent so much money on Shane Long and don't play him from the start when he is fit. I'd like to see Pelle rested and think it was a shame we never made a move to take Lambert back on loan from Liverpool in January. It will be interesting to see if we improve when Rodriquez comes back. I'm not convinced that Sam Gallacher will manage to break in to the squad either even though I see him as in the Lambert / Pelle mould. I think he will be sold in the summer.

Apart from Pelle not scoring, I think there are other problems that have been glossed over. Toby is a massive miss and we are not the same team without Morgan. I also think Davis hasn't been so good the last few games - for me he is our unsung hero and usually instrumental in helping us crash out wins.

As well as dropping Pelle, I'd like to see JWP dropped. He is good at free kicks but I think never manages to punish teams with his corners. He is also pretty woeful at shooting and never looks like he is capable of scoring. Whilst I think he is another talented product from our youth system, I'm not convinced he is Premier League quality and I think he should be moved on in the summer. He is probably a weakest regular squad player after Gardos.

9. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

If Pelle was scoring then all other discussions would change. Yesterday's performance would have felt so different at 1-1 or 1-2 and Pelle had 2 really nailed on chances in the 6 yard area. Thats aside from the different tactics WB would have adopted if they hadn't been one up.
    Shane isn't match fit so couldn't come on too early. Amazing recovery from rib fracture anyway.

A more open game must favour us but if we can't get a goal we can't get one. Proud of the fans that we stayed behind the team all game and applauded them off.

10. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

I'd go with Long up top with Mane behind . Tadic left and Djuricic right . Reed and Schneiderlin. And we need to practice set pieces.

11. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

If Villa go down what about a crack at Benteke? Don't think he has been consistent/injury free enough for one of the top teams to go for him so think he would be attainable. Similar in stature to Pelle but about 10 times better and a few years younger aswell.

Libby likes this.