1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Pickford to Everton

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

At least this wasn't a deadline day sale leaving us with little time to use the money.

Shame but this is the situation we're in ..... hopefully this will be the start of a much needed rebuild.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Little bit sad to see such a top (quality and personality) player leave but it is a hell of a lot of money for someone who didn't cost us much and the kind of thing we need to be doing again and again. Unfortunately.

I'll follow his career all the way and I hope he fulfills his potential.

Billy Death likes this.
  3. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

I know it's very, very early days for them yet, but don't we have two excellent young goalies at the Academy? I think they are the England U-17 and U-19 goalies?

I may be wrong and I know they might not amount to much in the future, but...........?

x

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Don't know mate but with any luck we'll be churning out 30 mil keepers every couple of months.

5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

It is sad but Southampton have been doing this for a couple of years now and they seem to be doing ok. Why is it though that our sales take 2 days to complete yet when we buy someone it drags on for weeks? Bain doing ok for now but agree that it's what purchases we make with whatever funds we have that will decide if he has done well or not.

6. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Cracking price you got for him. $35m for Short probably though.

Dorset likes this.
  7. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Don't think they'll be going anywhere. Can't see there being any interest in either.

I actually think Rodwell will do very well in the championship if he can stay fit. Gibson will do ok too down there when you bear in mind people like Steve Sidwell and Dean Whitehead both played at teams in the top 6 last season

8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I was never disputing the fact that he looks like a top quality keeper, only the fact that £30m for a player (any player for that matter - if Kane had gone for that amount after his breakthrough season there would've been a fair few raised eyebrows from anyone not a Spurs fan) after just the one season in the top flight is a bit much.

Bottom line is, you have done very well to land such a windfall this early in the window. Just hope you can invest it wisely and not on the dross Moyes was obsessed with <ok>

9. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Your opinion fair do. Mine is it's a poor deal. Which will become apparent when Everton sell him. Letting a player go mid development is not my idea of a good deal, it makes certain his next club commands the highest fee, not us. Everton are the winners here, they know it too.

Again, 118 league appearances. Not a break through player. He's exceptionally experienced for a keeper of his age.

clockstander likes this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

The wage cuts inflicted by relegation might just wake some of the slackers up, this is our only hope, if not we are lumbered with the likes of Rodders and Moyes Dads Army until their contracts run out.

11. Citizen Kane

It depends on what sell-on clauses you inserted into the deal I suppose. At such a price, it's unlikely there are any worth noting. They can be a massive source of funds, as Southampton almost found out. I say 'almost' because they - very wisely - inserted a 25% sell-on into Bale's deal with us, but then - very unwisely - picked up the phone to Levy when he called to 'just have a quick chat about that sell-on clause' a year later. 2.5m quid and a crap goalkeeper called Tommy Forecast later, and Southampton were essentially mugged off of what would ultimately be almost £25m, which went to us instead. Oh, Levy.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the latter point. Even vastly experienced Championship players fail to 'make it' at top PL sides (i.e. Everton upwards). He's experienced, sure, but at the risk of sounding like a complete PL snob, it's the sporting equivalent of a kid applying for a job at a Michelin star restaurant after 5 years working in McDonalds.

Nads likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

But he won't fail to make it in the PL, he won't fail to make it as England number one, he won't fail in become a champions League regular and he won't fail in winning silverware. Cause he's the real deal. Just sit back and watch. Everton is a stepping stone.

Trust me, you come across as far away from a PL snob as possible imo, you come across uninformed(in the players ability) and the way you view a players ability and link it to the quality of clubs they've played for you come across lacking knowledgeable on football. You seem to just completely dismiss how individual development works in goalkeepers. You want them in teams where they'll be kept busy. No offence but this 'snobbery' as you call it is just daft imo.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  13. Citizen Kane

You say it was a poor deal. How much would you value him at instead?

Let's reconvene in a year or two. Always happy to be eat some humble pie <ok>

14. Brian Storm

I wouldn't have sold him. I would have finished developing him.

Yep lets reconvene.:)

15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I think we have sold him on too early, simply because of the situation the club is in. Its a fair price, but he is a great prospect, and Everton could double their money in a couple of years imo. Good luck to them both.

Brian Storm and Citizen Kane like this.
  16. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether he costs £25m or £30m, Pickford is now the world’s third most expensive goalkeeper of all time, remember how much we paid for craig gordon to put a perspective on things.
    That ended well .

17. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

I see Jordan picked up man of the match for the under 21's this evening, saving a late penalty against Sweden.

Billy Death likes this.
  18. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

hes now called toffee fingers

19. Brian Storm