1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player & Young player of the year

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Who is your Player and Young player of the year?

(Only Ellis Harrison, Jake Gosling and Tom Lockyer are eligible for Young player of the year, apparently)

1 player cannot win both awards and your player choice must have played at least 10 league games.

When you put your answers, state why as well <ok>

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

All the players have been great this season. It's been a real team effort...it seems a shame to elevate anyone above the others.

Sinclair, Taylor and Leadbetter have impressed me, and all three deserve to get to play League football with The Gas. Ellis and Tom Lockyer have been brilliant. So have the older players across the middle and back four. We've got a couple of decent keepers. And the loan players have played their part. For the first time in a long time we seem to have a squad with a few game changers who can come off the bench and make a difference. It's been great.

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Tom Lockyer has been out standing in the matches I have attended, I haven't seen Jake Gosling play, but my vote Goes to Ellis Harrison for his game changing goals, but all the candidates have been backed by performances by the senior players, mind you it could be a really difficult decision by voting for the player of the year. My vote would go to Lee Mansell for his running of the midfield and encouraging his younger partners along side

4. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

My player of the season would have to be Matty Taylor.

He works his socks off every game he plays, to really see Matty's game you need to be in The Dribuild Stand his movement and positional play are superb, great vision and footballing skills add to that his sheer grit and determination to achieve and you basically have the model footballer, i think the only reason many many others won't choose him as their player of the season is the fact most think he hasn't scored enough......it is a point, but i think his overall play more than makes up for this and i don't know anyone who has contributed more to our season. I'm also drawn to a quote from one of history's finest ever sportsman:

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
    Michael Jordan

My young player of the season is between Tom Lockyer and Ellis and i'm gonna go for mr Utility Tom due to the amount of games he's played at such a young age, he's so reliable and always gives 100%. I must say though Ellis and Tom look like they're both seasoned professionals and have both done so well considering the pressure the last few seasons. Ellis' goals this season have not only been crucial to us getting near the top, but i honestly believe those late winners early doors kept DC in a job.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  5. old timer

Between 6 and 7 thousand managers per home game and we are im sure struggling to pick our player of the season.

Jon the Stripe likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Player of the year for me is out of Parkes, Sinclair, Mansell and Taylor.

Parkes because he has grown to a much better player than last season. He worked his backside off in the summer, lost weight and gave his all for the club. It was a great comeback from him considering how he ended last season (losing the captains armband and dropped). He has been great at the back playing in different systems like 3 at the back or a back 4. He has had different partners next to him in McChrystal, Lockyer and Trotman. The amount of clean sheets (20 by the way) that we have kept, is not just down to the keepers. He puts his body on the line getting blocks in. I have been very impressed with him.
    Sinclair because of the abundance of engergy he has, no matter if he is in the CM role or AM role or either out wide. He has tricks up his sleeve as well as doing the simple things right as well. He has scored goals at crucial times remember the goal vs Gateshead? He seems to be everywhere on the pitch! However the amount of games missed could effect his chances of winning this although he is a firm fans favourite!
    Mansell because he has been the commander in the CM role that we have missed since Campbell really. He is a leader which us something our club has been short on for a few years. He has a good free kick on him too. He has certainly showed his experience!
    Taylor because I agree with all what JTS has said about him. His work rate has been 2nd to none and has never given up. Yes he has wasted several chances, chances that maybe would have won us more points and could have won us promotion by now. But lesser players would have let that get to him. Taylor has not given up and improved as the season went on and although he doent score as much as he should, he would be for me a 1st team starter in the remaining games.

Out of these players who for me could win this award, my vote would go to Parkes.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Young player is out of 3 players but really only 2 real contenders in Harrison and Lockyer.

Lockyer has played much more and has been consistant wherever he has played, either RB, CB or CM. He always wears his heart on his sleeve and not once have I felt he hasnt given his all in games. Yes he makes mistakes but all young players do. However he is a fighter and passionate for the club and shirt. One of our own in many respects.
    Harrison has been used mainly as a sub but been a real game changer when he has been used. Has scored many winning goals for us and won points on his own for that reason. Still pretty raw but with help from Stewart and Easter, I expect him to keep improving. If he can put in the same amount of effort as Taylor, we will have a great player on our hands. He had a very difficult season last season and I was 1 of many who felt he should have been released in the summer. Bad attitude is what I kept hearing. DC said he was free to leave but he like Parkes worked hard in the summer and came back ready to fight and he hasnt let us or himself down.

This is a tough decision and I think they both deserve it equally for different reasons. If I had to pick though, Harrison gets it for me. We wouldnt be in the play offs now if Harrison didnt bail us out.

8. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

I think it has been very much a team effort, so I would hesitate to pick individuals, but if I had to pick anyone for Player of the Season it would be Mansell.

Couldn't agree more with Mourinho's point regarding the Ballon D'Or btw. They are relevant to this thread.

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I was right about Parkes being player of the year and Harrison being young player of the year :)

10. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

We bow to your superior wisdom CJS.

Who's gonna win the play-offs Mystic Meg? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

you dont want to know.

12. old timer

If it isn't us I hope its Grimsby