1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Depends where you are. This is an excellent guide to tactical voting to get the Tories out and reverse Article 50:

TheSecondStain likes this.
  2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

The second referendum would just be between the deal that May makes and hard brexit, wouldn't it? I thought it was to appease the right who are worried she will be to lenient with the eu.

Also why do I get more text in my quote than is in you post? :emoticon-0112-wonde<confused>

3. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

How is voting Labour going to reverse Article 50? They have said time and again that they respect the referendum result and voted for Article 50 to be triggered. If Tim Farron was PM he would try but Labour won't.

ImpSaint likes this.
  4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

My missus and I were discussing this just this very morn - we know how to have a good time. In Chester it has always been the case that the way to stop a Tory winning the seat was to vote Labour. The problem has been getting enough Liberals to take on this strategy. We had an indifferent Labour MP from 1997-2005 (when a stuffed teddy with a red rosette was getting elected) and a very good one since 2015. Sadly I think his days are numbered. Liberals will find it difficult to vote Labour because of the wobbly position on Brexit and the Corbyn factor. I've never voted anything but Labour all my life and even I'm struggling to support a Corbyn led party - and that's with a Labour MP whom I rate highly. I will be tramping the streets for him, but persuading people I know are committed Liberals to vote Labour is going to prove difficult.

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I care about Brexit, but I care more about poverty, the NHS and other public services. I hope that people vote tactically just to get the Tories out of power.

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I shall certainly take a look at that. By the way, Chilcs, did you accidentally edit my post 6539.? I'm seeing it considerably shorter on my browser. !?!

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well, more poverty, a poorer NHS and other public services, will result from GB leaving the EU, so it's just as well to be equally concerned throughout.

8. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

No, that's how it always appeared to me. It wasn't until I replied to that post that I saw the full post! Weirdly weird.:eek:

VocalMinority likes this.
  9. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Tories polling 48% and with UKIP polling 7% that leaves 45% for the whole of this "progressive left alliance."

How will 45% beat 48%? And that is assuming you could talk the 45% into voting the same way.

10. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Glad to see you're swallowing the opinion polls Imps. They were so right about the last election, not to mention Brexit and the US election, weren't they?

Number 1 Jasper and Saints_Alive like this.

11. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

is there any chance the 16 - 18 year olds will be allowed to vote? you know the ones that all this **** will actually affect?

Number 1 Jasper and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. Saints_Alive

And seven weeks is a long time in politics, a lot could happen yet.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. Saints_Alive

Can you vote SIS as an expat?

14. ImpSaint

Which way were they skewed? To the left. All the results were right of the polls. So add some more to the 48%. You don't get a "shy" left vote.

Momentum seem to think it's all about betting odds though. they put on the interweb what they discussed in their strategy meetings and came up with a plan to get Corbyn into power.

If everybody bets on Corbyn to win outright, and bets on Corbyn to be the next PM then the betting odds would change in his favour and it would force the campaign narrative to change helping Corbyn. Great stuff there from Momentum. Great strategy after all Trump never won and Brexit never happened because the odds weren;t in their favour.

15. SaintinSerbia

nope , been away too long apparently. So I have no say on my private pension, works pension and state pension which together hold eleventy billion pounds somewhere in the UK.

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Where did you get this from? I've not seen this betting odds strategy discussed or mentioned anywhere but here?

17. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I personally think the fact that 45% is split is the most hurtful thing for the left. massive reliance on tactical voting.

Biggest thing that could happen in the next couple of months to change those figures is Corbyn being ousted somehow.

18. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Oh ****, is he back?

19. ImpSaint

please log in to view this image

Not a photoshop. You can see it on their site here:
    http://www.momentumhackney.com/news/50-days-work-labour-victory

The problem with their plan is they are factoring in the remain vote as a whole.

And with that one third of those that have declared that they will vote Tory voted remain in the referendum, it means that many leavers are already either going to be voting for the "left" or UKIP instead so there aren't really going to be that many left to turn to the left.

Like I said it suits May to have the media spending the next month saying this is all about Brexit because she already has a third of her support from remain and if the media push the "all about Brexit" she might be able to grab more leavers to top things off nicely.

So the maths behind May's "48%" is that it comprises of 16% remainers and 32% leavers. That means she has got a quarter of the 48% remain voters on her side but still has another 20% that are leavers to try and attract.

If it was all about Brexit and May already has that 16% (yes they could change their minds) then it leaves those who are banking on Brexit being the decider with just 32% of the total to go for.

20. SaintinSerbia

LORD SIS here. LOL you stupid ****ing peasants! I've got about 98% of your country's money! I've bought all the businesses, islands, mansions, yatchs and supercars I have time to buy (the other 97% I've stashed away to keep my family safe for the next 1,000 years). It makes me giggle to see you plebs fighting over the scraps! Put the tax (on yourselves) up a bit, down a bit LOL! Spend hours debating who's the best on football forums LOL! You've even had a grocer's daughter and a Vicar's daughter, who had no money, keep us safe! LOL Do you think you'll ever find a way to actually use all my money to educate you and preserve your health? Dream on! LOL. Vote for whoever you want, if won't hurt me! LOL

ImpSaint likes this.