1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey Women!!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Congratulations Ladies on winning promotion. Thoroughly well deserved. With Pompey Women and Newcastle now confirmed, the Women’s Championship is going be one hell of a quality league next season…

devonFRATTONiser likes this.
  2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been following them on Twitter all season and they've been very prolific infront of goal. I was gonna create a thread about this for a while but didn't want to jinx them. This is actually the first season there's no playoffs for the north and south winners so it's good timing for Portsmouth. After winning the league but not getting promoted in 2014, would have been a travesty if that happened again. Though the whole system has always been a travesty.

I actually attended a women's game back in October I think it was, away to Rugby. It was a tight game, finished 1-0 with a great goal by Portsmouth. Also it was neat to see the shirts now have the players' names on the back which wasn't the case when I was more involved with the club 10 or 11 years ago. Surprisingly Rugby had their players' names on the back of their shirt, which I definitely hadn't expected as the Rugby men's team are very low down the football pyramid.

I'm planning to go to Cheltenham away tomorrow which isn't that far from here. Of course, being a women's team they don't technically play in Cheltenham but a small village on the outskirts called Bishops Cleeve. Only a 20 or so minute walk from the stadium though.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

So firstly it turns out there are two stations called Cheltenham spa in Cheltenham. One's the heritage one. That's the one that was a 20 minute walk from the stadium. The actual station is an hour and a half away... Anyhow

The match finishes 3-2 to Portsmouth. In manner similar to the Barnsley game on Tuesday, Cheltenham took the lead twice. But Portsmouth deserved their win overall.

Players to watch out for next season:

Portsmouth's number 12 Sophie Querk. Fast, skins players for fun and delivers a mean cross. She also got two assists.

And hat trick hero Ella Humphrey. I mean any player who scores a hat trick is one to look out for. Though I didn't realize she'd scored a hat trick til I checked Twitter after the game. There was no announcer and boxes can be quite congested.

Wooperts_duck likes this.