1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Possible Sanchez Contract Solution

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by velachiperoo, Aug 3, 2017.

1. velachiperoo

velachiperoo Well-Known Member

If the papers are to be believed Sanche wants out and we will not let him go and lose him for free, while I prefer this solution to letting him join a rival for a bit of money this season I was thinking of an alternative solution.

He is currently got 1 year left on 140k pw contract and we are apparently offering him 275k pw to stay on which he is not interested in apparently. So how about this offer him a new contract for however many years (could just be a one year extension) with the following stipulations

300k pw
    15m sign on bonus (between him and his agent)

That basically means he is on an extra 160k which is about 15-16mn more a year in wages + another 15m in sign on meaning a 30mn pounds extra over the next year. On this we add

50mn release clause if we fail to win the Premier league
    80mn release clause if we do win the league.

I say 50mn release if we don't win the league as only winning it will convince him that we can make a real go of the champions league. I also add 80mn release clause as then even if we do win the league as he might still choose to leave.

I appreciate he can currently talk to foreign clubs from Jan 1st and English clubs from June 1st and they will offer him much larger wages or sign on bonuses. But the way I see it if we are truly gonna keep him regardless we get to make a 20mn profit at the end of the season and hopefully back in the top 4 and from his side he gets an extra 30mn pounds for the next year and still gets to leave as in today's market 50mn would be a steal for a player of his quality.

The trickiest part will be the fact he can demand astronomical wages if he goes on a free but I really do feel for an extra 30mn now we have a real chance.

What do you guys think?

2. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

I would have let him go abroad if that had been an option but I suspect he's set on City, like Van Persie was with Utd

I don't think he would have signed a new contract at this point whatever we were offering

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I think we don't have any choice in the matter, and we deserve to be in that position.

We've squandered years and years with a useless board being happy stagnating with a useless manager. Why would a world class player want to stay with us when he realises that that really is his lot if he stays?

He has honoured his contract do far and always puts in 100% so he can do what he likes in my opinion. He's been respectable and top class. Our board and manager have been useless and lazy and don't deserve a cheap, cop out way of keeping Sanchez.

If you want him to stay then pay the money to him and pay the money to surround him with similarly class players.

4. velachiperoo

I don't think he will sign a traditional long term contract but this one gives him an extra 30mn now as well as having the easy option of leaving at the end of the season. I do see it as a win win the issue is what he can expect to command if he leaves on a free but 30mn pounds is not to be sniffed at.

While I don't disagree that his contract situation is a direct result of our lack of on field success and nothing to do with not having good negotiators, I think that is different to what this thread is about - this is to deal with the merits of a particular player and his current situation. No matter how pissed you might be at Wenger or the board I am curious as to whether you think this is a viable solution.

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I don't see what's in it for him. He'd get that money anywhere else anyway so why would he sign it for a club he doesn't seem to want to play for?

6. velachiperoo

This is based on the fact we will refuse to sell him this season, that means he will be on 140k a year for this season so basically 7.5 million roughly and then he can agree a contract with some one else from Jan 1st but that doesn't start till July 1st 2018 (regardless for who he signs). This way he gets an extra 30 mn for this year and still gets to leave for for a 50mn transfer fee (which any big club will happily pay for a player of his quality) and we get to make 20mn profit at the end of the season and hopefully top 4. And if by some super miracle we win the league he might stay on or we get 80mn and even more profit.

* just realised i messed up my initial calculations at 300k pw he would get an extra 8m in wages so we could offer him 22mn in sign on bonus. Meaning an extra 30mn overall.

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it would go down a **** storm paying Sanchez £22m for, well, not a lot apart from signing a contract.

8. velachiperoo

He signs it he gets 30mn extra we sell him for 50mn therefore netting a profit of 20mn or a small chance of him staying on. As opposed to him leaving at the end of the season anyway and us getting nothing. How would that be a bad thing?

I get that you are pissed at the board and at Wenger for our failures but how does that in anyway change what I am suggesting. We get a profit for a player who would leave for free, he gets extra money and plays with a WC and the shop window (not that he needs motivation to play at 110%) and it leaves us with a remote chance of keeping the best player we have had since Henry/Bergkamp.

Also would add if he stays he is on 300k pw (roughly what we are offering him know anyway) and a one off payment of 22mn which I would think is reasonable to hold on to a player of his caliber for 3-4 years.

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

If a club has to pay us a £50m fee to sign him then they won't offer him such absurd wages the likes of which free transfer worldies can ask for.

So he'd get sort of mega wages for one year with us, then probably the same at City or PSG. Whereas stick with us on his currently deal, then go sign for free at City with a £20m sign on fee and £500k/w wages.

However you dress it up, there is little long term financial benefit to him signing a new deal with us even he's only here for a year. Netting the club profit has nothing to do with him.

What we have to hope is that (1) we storm the remaining weeks of the window and net a couple more top quality players (2 x CM please), (2) the players sort out tactics and motivation themselves and ignore Wenger as he's proven to be toilet at this, (3) we perform really well in the league in the run up to Christmas and finally (4) all of this convinces Sanchez to sign a new deal before he signs a pre-contract deal with someone else on January.

10. velachiperoo

Well thank you for addressing the actual point I raised finally. I honestly think no matter how well we do by Jan (unless we are like 10-15 points clear in the league) he will not consider signing a new contract with us because 1.) he knows we have a tendency to lost momentum in feb/march and 2.) we will never to be able to offer the wages he will be offered by the big clubs. Him signing a contract now is a much better chance of him staying than trying to get him to sign one before Jan. Also with the 30mn boost he will be on effectively 700k pw for this season - and seeing as he will be 29 1/2 in July 2018 that is a huge loss of potential earnings for a player in the latter stage of his career.

Also he is so good and there is so much money in the game he will easily have multiple suitors even at 50mn which means he will be offered silly wages and a signing on bonus anyway as a wages bidding war will take place (lower than what he would have got if he left for free but still substantial). The main crux is if he truly believes we won't sell him this season then I think there is a real chance of him signing this contract .

I do agree with your first 3 points that we need to do those anyway to convince him to stay regardless of whether he signs my proposed deal or not. The fact there is no incentive for him to make sure we get a transfer fee is obvious - it was incentive for us to offer this deal in the first place as there has to be benefit for both sides.

11. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

As a free agent, he will be able to command a Massive signing on fee and wages wherever he goes..

There really is no incentive for him to sign anything that ties him beyond the end of his current contract.

The ship has well and truly sailed.

I'm surprised that Barca arn't looking at him as a replcement for Neymar. I know they let him go in the past but he'd be a relativly cheap solution.
    You'd sell to a Foreign club for 30/40M and he do a job for them wide right for a couple of years.

12. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Best case scenario is we swap Sanchez for Aguero.

Sanchez gets his move to City, which would mean Aguero wouldn't be first choice which would give him the incentive to move to us.

We get a world class striker - but signed up to a new long term contract :)

I would rather that than him go to City for nothing next year.

13. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

That's real fantasy stuff to be brutally honest.

If Sanchez went to city (which wont happen till next year if at all) why would Aguero not be first choice, he's an out and out no-9. Sanchez would play wide left with Aguero through the middle.

And why would Aguero (one of the most coveted players in the world) move to Arsenal to play Europa league footy in a WC year.

That scenario is less likely than the OP's optimistic contract extension idea.

Libby likes this.
  14. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Hence why I said best case scenario ! It won't happen but it's the best deal we can get.
    Worst case scenario is he goes on strike and pushes for a move and we end up selling him to City now. It might happen but AW seems determined to not let it, but we have heard this before with Cesc and RVP, and we buckled and sold.

15. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I don't think selling him is a viable option for the football or business side of things. Only sensible option would be to keep him for another year minimum. Our transfer business isn't good enough to replace a loss like Sanchez and especially after Neymar going to PSG, it would be a step too far for those in charge of our transfer business.

With Sanchez we've got a good chance of CL qualification. Without him no, the loss of his goals and assists would be too great for anyone else in our team to replicate.

As it stands, his loss would have bigger repercussions than RVP and Cesc leaving, when you look at the level of opposition we have in the league, its much more tougher and competitive. For me him staying is a no brainer.

16. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

He is 30 in December next year, and he has played pretty much non-stop for 3 years, and he has a World Cup next Summer. His ankle tends to blow up from time to time. I wouldn't be surprised if his performance drops off after the World Cup.

I suspect his value is going to plummet next summer anyway. I would guess the decision was to either sell him or let him go for a free next year. I don't think we ever considered another big money 4-year contract.

17. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I agree, no chance of him going on a sulk or dropping in performance, he seems to be a very focused individual who wants to do really well.

18. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

There is a danger of burn-out. He's basically been playing non-stop for four years. Somethings gotta give.....

19. EmirAleks

EmirAleks Well-Known Member

He was quite disappointing while at Barca and many Barca fans are convinced he is not quite Barca quality. He shone alongside the likes of Ox and Walcott, but alongside Messi & Co he did not look convincing at all: too many loose passes, too many lost balls. That is probably why we were able to snatch him. And now he is too old for them anyway.

20. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Yes he was never a regular first teamer at Barca which is why, as you say, we were able to get him.