1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-season friendlies

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 11, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I missed the game yesterday as I was out shopping :( Im off on holiday later this week. Hopefully at free times I can still access this place. When I return I will start the attendance game etc.

Did anyone what the game yesterday? I heard James Clarke looks a very good signing? Easter looked fantastic when he came on from the bench. Taylor played well too. Lines set peices were at a good quality. The goal we conceded was a individual error at the back by us. Dont know who cocked up though.
    Would be good if someone could give thoughts on the 1st real proper competitive work out we have had this pre-season. Thanks <ok>

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Take it no one watch the Arsenal game then?

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Tonights line up vs Reading

please log in to view this image

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

On my hols in the morning so wont know the score of Cheltenham game unless I can get wifi sorted. Safe journey to those going to the game <ok>

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

6. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Lost to Arsenal u21s, Reading and Cheltenham. Been unable to attend any of the games, but I am wondering if a top 7 finish is realistic with the present squad

7. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't see it myself like I said before its ok beating the likes Mangotsfield easily but when it came to the bigger teams we struggled to score IMO we still need a striker Easter and Harrison might be ok but IMO Taylor and Blissett might well struggle

8. Gastronomic

A lot of last season's performances were characterised by the sort of commitment you wouldn't normally see in a friendly - players throwing themselves to block shots etc. It remains to be seen whether we'll struggle to score goals, but as long as we defend as well as we did last season we won't need to score freely. Taylor's an important player, running the channels and assisting as well as scoring. Blisset is improving and should prove a handful.

Like last season, we will have an idea where things are going after ten games or so, or at least from October. We're much better now than when we went down and I wouldn't overestimate how good some of the opposition will be. Decent Conference sides would compete well in the top half of League Two. I think we'll be ok.

9. Gastronomic

It was a bit worrying that DC said that he didn't see that performance coming. There's not long to sort things out before the Northampton game...

10. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. I dont normally take too much notice of pre season results, I remember we had an excellent pre-season a few seasons ago,scored plenty of goals and beat a few decent teams,filled me with optimism for the proper stuff and when it arrived,we were dire,struggled to get going for ages,so since then,I dont take take anything for granted. I must confess to being a bit concerned at the moment though!

11. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't know what to make of it so far.
    I've seen the Mangotsfield, Paulton and Reading games. They're only
    friendlies, but little new on view so far....

12. Gastronomic

We'll just have to see how things pan out when the competition starts.

13. Gastronomic

14. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Shame about tonights result but over 4k in attendance which will be a good sum of money to Kite <applause>

16. Gastronomic

The results and some of the performances haven't been very good in pre season. Hope they start performing and scoring on Saturday...

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Results dont matter. We have in the past won all pre season games and done poor throughout the season. DC have said all along that the games are just purely used to get match fitness/sharpness and to try out new systems in real game events instead of just working them in training. We beat the teams we expected to beat. We lost the games we expected to lose. Did anyone really think we would beat Reading - a team that yoyo's between the championship and the prem? Or the Arsenal u21's who are pretty much 1 of the best u21 sides in the country? Or a very strong West Brom side managed under Pulis who has Sir Rickie Lambert up front for them? It doesnt really matter about the results. Im sure the players dont like losing especially 4-0 at home but im also very sure DC would have drilled it into them the difference between a team just promoted from non league vs a team who are an established prem side. The players although lost the game would have been very grateful at the chance to be involved in such a game. That is DC's views really.
    For the players though, pre season is about finding form and building confidence on top of fitness. Some players have done this and some players havent. Its now down to DC to get them mentally ready for Northampton. I believe in DC and the players to do just that.
    As for performances, I would happy accept a scrappy poor 1-0 win over a great performance that ends in a draw or a defeat. DC will hopefully have Northampton sussed and will pick the best team and tactics for them.

18. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

In DC I trust, Onwards and Upwards

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  19. Gastronomic

I'm sure we'll be fine...I just hope that they players have gained confidence because they've now gone a few games without scoring.

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yep that wouldnt help but not many sides promoted from non league would score past West Ham and Reading if you know what I mean. Im sure the players get that and feel they put up a good effort in these games <ok>