1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League Wage Bill Table

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by James G, Apr 21, 2015.

1. James G

James G Well-Known Member

Southampton 7th in PL but 16th in wages table. QPR 19th in PL + 8th in wage table.

please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

16th surely...or am I missing something.

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Also a reminder: that's the wage bill for the entirety of the club, not just the players. And because it's the 13/14 numbers, and includes the teams that were promoted in that season, we might have actually been lower among the twenty teams in the league that season.

Which makes QPR's standing even more frightening...they were 8th in wages while in the Championship.

James G likes this.
  4. James G

That's what I said wasn't it? :p (I copied and pasted from Ziegler's article. His error, NOT mine!)

5. James G

6. fran-MLs little camera

As Markus said: Bargain.

7. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Frightening!

8. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Interesting couple of tables? It just goes to prove that throwing money around does not always solve the problem?

9. Dark Lord SFC

That said, it does show that all the likely ECL qualifiers will be spending between 2.5-3.5 times more on wages than us and show how far we have to go before we can expect to qualify on anything like a regular basis and with FFP protecting the larger clubs it will be "interesting" trying

10. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Saw a stat the other day (not sure how true it is, was just on the internet somewhere) that in 35 of the last 40 top flight seasons the 4 teams spending the most money on wages finished in the top 4, looks likely to be true again this year

11. Dark Lord SFC

It's simple, we have to increase our income dramatically to support the relative increase in wages, if we are to compete in and around the top six in the EPL.
    If we don't then we can expect to be a mid table team at best with occasional forray into Europa places which will wreck the following season

12. fran-MLs little camera

Can't run before you can walk. Ignoring the football side, a lot of work has been put in to make SFC the best it can be throughout the business. The procedures are in place, but obviously more work to be done. Rodgers has said that plans have been laid for qualifying for the CL, EL and even relegation....as he said, good business practice. Everyone says that the Europa damages your season...perhaps Saints will be different. Let's sit back and enjoy the ride.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I agree, I was anti Europa League for a while but I'm warming to it now. There is no point in striving to be better if we don't embrace what comes with it. Hopefully, there will be some away days at places that don't end in .......khstan!

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I am amazed how many people seem reluctant to embrace the Europa League. It is part of the progression. Yes, it may well be a testing time for the club/players/squad, but so be it. We have to work through that. If we want to be winning cups, qualifying for Europe, then we need to be prepared for some adjustments and possibly some dips in league positions as part of that progression.

I can imagine us finishing 10th-14th next season and all hell breaking loose. Life isn't about straight line graphs.

Libby likes this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Spot on, agree with absolutely every word, also it's a new thing to a lot of Saints fans, Ireally don't understand people not wanting to play in it, I also think our style under Ron is very suited to Europe, do enough business in the Summer n we could end up in latter stages, then anything can happen? I believe the people not wanting Europa are the same people who would rather finish 6th than win the FA Cup

16. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Europa league would be an awesome achievement. European away days will be ridiculously fun!

Libby likes this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

This table shows just how far behind we are even Liverpool and Spurs - let alone the top 4! <yikes>

This is what I was trying to explain before when I said I didn't think top 4 was realistic for us, there's a reason why no clubs of our size have done it in the past 10 years.

18. fran-MLs little camera

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The Europa league has been cursed by all the negative media it gets. For teams who are really trying to break the top 4 every season like Liverpool/Spurs and Everton to an extent it is viewed as a massive hindrance, but for us it would be fantastic. If we are regularly challenging top 6 for the next few years then my view may change, but it would be a great accomplishment for us this year.