1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 17, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Lilywhites Win

33.3%
  2. Canaries Win

50.0%
  3. Stalemate

16.7%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 43

Preston North End 1 – 3 Norwich City
    FT

HT 0 – 2
    Spurr 67'
    Dorrans 28', Murphy 40', Maddison 90'+2'

Attendance: 11,373

Referee: James Adcock
    Assistant Referees: Mark Dwyer & James Wilson
    Fourth Official: James Mainwaring

Date: Monday 17th April 2017
    Venue: Deepdale
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

This afternoon Norwich City travel north to Lancashire to take on Preston North End in Round 43 of this season’s Sky Bet EFL Championship campaign.
    After handing out a 7-1 thrashing to play-off certainties Reading in Round 41 Canaries fans could be forgiven for expecting a similar performance against play-off hopefuls Fulham in Round 42 last time out, albeit without the expectation of so many goals.
    However it was not to be and City’s frustrating inconsistencies this term were to rear their ugly head once more.
    The writing appeared on the wall after Stefan Johansen fired home from 20 yards for the visitors with barely 5 minutes on the clock. In truth Norwich rarely troubled the Fulham defence in the first period as the Cottagers put in an impressive defensive performance.
    After the break things got worse for City and despite the fact Ex Canaries marksman Chris Martin was sent off for an elbow on Mitchell Dijks in the third minute of first half added time, the Cottagers extended their lead on 48 minutes after substitute Canaries defender Ryan Bennett gave away a needless spot kick.

City suffer home defeat against the Cottagers

Tom Cairney converted the penalty for 10 man Fulham and although City rallied late on and indeed managed to pull a goal back on 76 minutes through Cameron Jerome, victory for the West Londoners was ensured on 89 minutes when Floyd Ayité rounded City ‘keeper John Ruddy to slot home.
    Preston’s season has been somewhat similar to City’s both in performances on the pitch and with total points accrued thus far. North End sit 9th in the Championship table just one place and one point ahead of Norwich so arguably the two sides have just pride to play for this afternoon, although with the Canaries set to appoint a new Head Coach in the summer one would have thought their players would be out to impress new Sporting Director Stuart Webber in order to secure new or renewed contracts.
    While City were being put to the sword by Fulham on Friday, the Lilywhites were suffering defeat at high flying Huddersfield Town.

'Tough luck' PNE 'keeper Chris Maxwell

The scores were however level at 2-2 on 90 minutes with the Terriers only securing all the points in the 6th minute of added time, Collin Quaner slotting home the rebound after Aaron Mooney’s penalty was saved by North End ‘keeper Chris Maxwell.
    The final result surely ending Preston’s bid for a top six finish and like their hosts today another season of Championship football next year.

BBC Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39549947

• In 19 previous meetings, Preston have never lost back-to-back home matches against the Canaries.
    • Norwich have scored just twice in their last six league matches at Deepdale.
    • Norwich have won 10 of their last 11 league matches (including play-offs) played on a Monday, losing the other to Reading earlier this season.
    • Preston have won 11 of their last 18 home league games (D5 L2) and are unbeaten in their last nine, winning six.
    • The Canaries have won only one of their last 15 away league games in the Championship (D4 L10).

Sky Sports Match Preview Here:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/preston-vs-norwich/preview/358623
    Simon Grayson’s Match Preview

PNE chief Simon Grayson preview's today's game

“Before Friday we said we want to win as many of the remaining games as possible and people saw that it wasn’t a team that had given up the ghost of the season and were happy to get their flip flops on and I demand that, as do our supporters.”

“Our players have a really good attitude and are very good professionals and will again on Monday. We keep reiterating that we want to finish better than our 11th place from last season, because it’s what the players deserve from their efforts this season.”

“It will have been a frustrating season for everyone connected with Norwich City, when you looked at them at the start of the season, they were very impressive, top of the division, and they looked like they were going to be one of the teams for automatic promotion. Then they went through a spell where they lost six on the trot, or something like that and since then it has been up and down all the way through.”

“I went to see them at Huddersfield last week and they stayed in the game, but they lost 3-0 and from that you couldn’t see how they scored seven against Reading, but they have got some good players, some Premiership players who can hurt you.”

“We have to look to keep our home form going, play with an intensity and go and do what is required to take the three points.”

Alan Irvine’s’s Match Preview

Alan Irvine City's Caretaker boss returns to Deepdale

"I'm looking forward to going back [to Preston], there's no doubt about it.”

"I had a really good time at Preston. We took over a team that was bottom of the league and within 18 months we were in the play-offs.”

"There are a lot of happy memories of my time there and I still get very well received at Preston whenever I go there.”

"From a personal point of view I'm looking forward to going back but you only enjoy it if you put in a performance."

"I'll need to assess how everyone is in terms of the medical side of things and the physical and mental side of things. The chances are there will be some changes."

"We're fully aware of the commitment the away fans make and it would be great if we could finish off with a couple of good performances on the road."

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Preston North End

LLWDDW

PRESTON HOME

Preston have scored 1 goal or less in 10 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 1, draw 5 and lose 4 of these matches.

Preston have conceded 1 goal or less in 15 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 9, draw 5 and lose 1 of these matches.

In their last 20 home matches, Preston have scored 1.9 goals per game and conceded 1.0 goals per game on average.

Norwich City

LWLLWD

NORWICH AWAY

Norwich have scored 1 goal or less in 15 of their last 20 away games, going on to win 1, draw 3 and lose 11 of these matches.

Norwich have conceded 1 goal or less in 7 of their last 20 away games, going on to win 3, draw 3 and lose 1 of these matches.

In their last 20 away matches, Norwich have scored 1.0 goals per game and conceded 2.1 goals per game on average.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Preston North End Wins: 16

Norwich City Wins: 18

Games Drawn: 14

The two sides have met 49 times in competitive fixtures, the first being a League Division Two encounter at Carrow Road on 11th November 1961 with the match finishing 2-0 to the Canaries.

Preston’s highest winning margin in this fixture is 4-0 which was on 26th September 2001 at Deepdale in League Division One.

On 10th October 1984 City thrashed North End 6-1 in a 2nd Round, 2nd leg League Cup tie at Carrow Road the 1st leg at Deepdale having finished in a 3-3 stalemate. Norwich were to go on to win the Competition beating Sunderland 1-0 in the Wembley final.

Highest Preston North End Score

Preston North End 4 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 6 Preston North End 1

Highest Aggregate (7)

Norwich City 6 Preston North End 1

Club Connections

Those to have played for both the Lilywhites and the Canaries include:

Darren Beckford, Chris Brown, Ritchie De Laet (Preston & Norwich loan), Stephen Elliott (Norwich loan), Dickson Etuhu, Mike Flynn, David Healy (Norwich loan), Matt Jackson (Preston loan), Jason Jarrett, Carlo Nash, Declan Rudd (Preston loan), Darel Russell, Elliott Ward (Preston loan) and Simon Whaley.

Did you know?

Preston were a founder member of the Football League in 1888-89 and completed the inaugural season unbeaten to become the first league Champions, in the same season winning the FA Cup without conceding a goal to become the first club to achieve the English football "Double". Preston's unbeaten League and Cup season earned them the nickname "The Invincibles".

Preston were league champions again the following season, but have not won the title since.

In 1887 Preston beat Hyde 26–0 in the First Round of the FA Cup, still a record winning margin in English first-class football. Preston forward Jimmy Ross scored eight goals in the match, going on to score 19 goals in the competition that season, also still a record.

TEAM LINE UPS:

squad (2).jpg
    Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio
    With Chris Goreham

and Guest Match Summariser Bryan Gunn

…… And don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’ post match
    with ‘Gunny’ and Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    chinacanary, DUNCAN DONUTS and Hera like this.
  2. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Non - Norfolk folks can hear it here - if you can suffer it

goldeneadie and KIO like this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great thread again KIO, our bunch of ne'erdowells don't deserve all the effort you put in. Hopefully next season we'll have a competitive team! <cheers>

KIO likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great. Martin and Bennett as CBs (again)
    And Bryan 'you know' Gunn, 'you know' <doh> on comms duty.
    IPL cricket, snooker or Brighton vs Wigan for me for sure <ok>

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Cracker again KIO.

I've stopped getting excited about games, it only leads to heartache. Still enjoy reading through these though. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Ready for another ****ty performance from our arseholes 11.

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Well that line up is sh*te again. AN might as well of stayed to the end of the season.

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

*have

KIO likes this.
  10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Get in Dorrans!!!!

Nicely weighted pass by Naismith for the assist!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Yea, he should of have.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  12. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Such a Jekyll & Hyde team

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Just back indoors from doing a bit of topiary to the garden hedge, have I missed anythng?

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Just as I posted turned radio on and Jerooooooooooooooome has scored ! 2-0

15. RiverEndRick

Get in Josh!!! Assist for Jerome.

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Bloody typical, nowt to play for and we're gonna win away for once <doh>

17. Forgot_My_Lines

Nice to see he's started one of the yooof. He only goes and bloody scores!

18. RiverEndRick

Leeds losing at home to Wolves - down to 7th if it stays that way.

KIO likes this.
  19. Forgot_My_Lines

Ipshite Leading Newcastle 1-0. Brighton winning 1-0.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

I would rather Leeds finish top 6 than Fulham