1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR reject £12M bid from Leicester for Charlie Austin

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by ELLERS, Jul 3, 2015.

1. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... but what if we don't get relegated.? ... more reason to think we will survive than last.season ... with all dur respect I think we have more chance of surviving next sesson than you have of promotion ... so why stop at a mediocre Championship club if the alternative is plying your trade at the top table ..?

2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree Cambiasso was class whenever i watched you on TV.

3. zen76

zen76 New Member

Comments like this do nothing to endear your club to others. You visit Leicester once and its suddenly a cesspool. There are good and bad area's everywhere shock horror even in London! The beauty of Leicester is that its in the MIDLANDS!! it means you're not that far from London or the north and commutable from more area's. Also you don't actually have to live in the city centre there are area's outside of Leicester. Footballers whilst taking into consideration the area they live they understand they have a short career and it will come down to finances.

Don't think you can say "Leicester are a bit of a nothing club and a bit of a nothing club in a nothing place" then say no disrespect the statement alone is disrepectful. Plenty of players move to club's like Leicester and Stoke even from London!! Stoke is good enough for Bojan and Peter Crouch so don't think its quite as bad as you make out.

Plus I don't think your club would have turned down an offer because Charlie did not want to go there I think they would have turned it down because they want more money. Charlie may not want to move north and may not go to Leicester which is his prerogative but holding out for clubs from the south to make bids may worry the club as from what I read West Ham have balked at the fee that QPR are asking and don't think Bournemouth are looking at Austin. It would be a brave chairman who turns down bids of this amount and risks losing 12-15 million. Ultimately money talks, you're entitled to your opinion but think its a bit blinkered.

Jack Lesterfan and Stroller like this.
  4. Peter Damage

Peter Damage Well-Known Member

Point is he's earned the right to not to have to make that gamble

He's better than that

5. Peter Damage

Also a brave chairman who thinks they'll sign a better alternative for same sort of money.

Worst case for us is we have Austin till Jan scoring the goals to get us promoted.

Also importantly we've laid down a marker we aren't to be taken for mugs any more in negotiations

Win win

6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

So i have visited Leicester once? Actually i had to work there for a bit so i have enough experience to make a judgement. As for nothing club/place? Leicester just make the numbers up and that's it. You are not a West Ham or Newcastle lets be honest. As for Crouch being at Stoke? Just ask his wife what she thinks of it? she spends all her time in London and actually hates it there, so get your fact right before you comment. So to be fair my comments are not as blinkered as your comments of me.
    Leicester a good areas <doh>

7. Peter Damage

I know.

What's the point of being a multi-millionaire if you choose to spend the prime of your life living in Leicester?!

Jimbo ranger likes this.
  8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that you lived in Reading Ellers. I've been to Leicester and Reading, not much to choose between them, but Leicester has better pubs. And a better football club. And a better rugby team. Just over an hour by train to London, plenty of attractive countryside and reasonably priced country property, pork pies and stilton.

Jack Lesterfan likes this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree PD
    At least if these new members are going to post, they should try and post properly. <doh>

10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

No mate not Reading, Reading is awful. I live near Charlie and Gareth Ainsworth, Phil Parks, and a host of other footballers. But don't confuse my house with theirs as they live in the posh area. I used to live by Ascot then moved nearer to Reading (for my sins)

11. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I forgot that you had to live in the City if you wanted to play for us.

For what it's worth, the town voted the greatest place to live in Britain (a few miles from where I live) is only 30 miles from Leicester <ok>

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/shortcuts/2013/mar/18/stamford-best-place-britain-world

12. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

That crazy Leeds owner made players live in the city didn't he? Fortunately we aren't like that. I lived in Stamford before and it's a lovely place and very commutable to Leicester. And the county of Leicestershire has some great places, better than being stuck in a grim city

13. zen76

zen76 New Member

hardly worst case scenario. Worst case scenario would be he gets an injury and he doesn't play and because of that no-ne signs him in January and he leaves for nothing at the end of the season.

Most players though when they have success in the premier league do not want to drop to the championship and want to optimise their earning potential. Austin might prove me wrong we shall see I guess.

I don't see how you are being taken for mugs if you ask for £15 million and get £15 Million then has your owners not been savvy business people?

14. zen76

zen76 New Member

Curious that Crouch is still at Stoke is his wife hates it that much. Also your statement that Leicester make up the numbers is not based on any fact you could throw that statement at any club outside of the top five or six. Newcastle are a big catchment area but on recent form are hardly a force. West Ham also have only been in the league a couple of years they have potential but can't say they are a massive club based on success or trophies.

You may have worked in Leicester but did you see everything of it and all the surrounding area's? I don't presume to suggest I know all of London from the times I have been there. My Point is if the money was good enough I'm sure him and his family would find somewhere to live in the midlands to their liking.

You know little of our club and yet you make comments that we are a nothing club that's what makes your views blinkered I make no such accusation against QPR because I only have limited knowledge of your club.

but fair enough everyone is allowed their own opinion I just don't agree with yours :p

15. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Some poor and disrespectful comments on this playground thread.

16. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... true but no problem buddy - football is a very emotive sport and leads to irrational (and sometimes silly) comments ... there is a certain irony to some of them mind ... the most vociferous opponents of Charlie Austin coming to Leicester must, arguably, be those with the least faith in the bloke's ability

.. if he can bag as many goals as he did last season playing for the team that was demonstrably the worst in the league (per final table) ... why wouldn't he improve both his goal tally and therefore the position of a club that finished 14th on a tremendous run of form and is now in the process of major squad improvement? ...

...no ...instead he is destined to be relegated and be playing Championship football if he joins Leicester City <laugh> as I said ... irrational ... or at least illogical ... and based on 'wishful thinking' and a little of the green eyed monster more than cold logic ..

... perhaps it's because the three clubs that were relegated are being replaced by sleeping giants that will go on to trouble the Champions League spots? ... oh but wait .... Norwich City, Watford and Bournemouth (with all due respect) ... and aren't there only 3 relegation spots ? ..

... well if none of that is ... then Leicester is a **** place to live!!! that'll do it for Charlie ... after the rolling hills and deep lakes of Shepherds Bush and White City why on earth might he fancy the Vale Of Belvoir or Rutland Water as a good place to raise a family?... yes it is indeed our policy to make players live in premises no more than a stone's throw from the King Power .... and under the shade of the Gasometers <laugh>...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

My Dad's side of the family hailed from West Kilburn, hence the R's connection, but on my Mother's side (Jenkinson & Hinson) they go back several generations in Stamford. Unfortunately I never visited whilst living in the UK.

18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Thanks Zen I did manage to get about while i was there, hence my opinion of the place. Agree i did not visit every village, Pub, or whatever but i have seen enough to say that it doesn't excite me that much.
    Agree most clubs just make up the numbers that's why i said it.

As for players (bar money) Generally speaking unless it's a big club or you are from that area or not the best player around, players seem to like the lights of London.
    Sorry but i hear it all the time players saying they want a London club but i have never heard a player say i want to go to Leicester?

As for your West Ham comment "West Ham also have only been in the league a couple of years" You mean they had one season in the Championship but have spent many years in top flight. <doh>
    I have a right one today?

19. Peter Damage

What a simple mind you have. With such a clinical view you seem to think you have a divine right to replicate everything that went for you. Football isn't so black and white. You cant just insert Austin and then assume he will equal or better whilst there will in no way be a drop off in levels that has affected so many other sides long out of the division who through that pent up excitement over perform in the first season and are then relegated in the second season, players like Vardy and Cambiasso will with 100% certainty not dip in performance levels (Cambiasso ageing, Vardy see preceding comment) and booting out your manager who had stabilised then guided you to promotion and into an against the odds survival with a team that was **** for 80% of the season.

Now you put together a run and that was enough to get away with it in relegation battle but don't pretend huge doses of luck didn't swing things in the right direction

If you remove the biased perspective and look at what really happened. A quick look on your fixtures reminded me of what i already knew. Your run of games that saved you began with a a win against west ham, a game you could easily have lost but instead won after a flukey goal after Vardy miss hit his shot. Next game a bit of luck on a set-piece with ball bounce around everywhere and you equalise late in agame then a ridiculous howler and another dose of luck and you score a last minute winner. 6 points there could easily have been zero and next year those same scenario's could easily go against you.

Galvanised and full of confidence you then went on to get your points mainly against sides with nothing to play for at end of season or sides who got deservedly relegated

I remember Wigan had an even more impressive end of season roll to stay up beating top four sides home and away in the process. Next season... they got relegated!!!!!! Don't forget you looked a side destined for relegation for most of the time. 2 fortunate wins bounced you into survival

If Austin signs, i'll be massively shocked and he'll have made a massive error. Realistically though it aint going to happen

As for comparing city living to living in the sticks. West and South West London literally is one of the most desirable places in the world to live, especially for the rich and famous. And thats what he is. He's not a 55 year old retired head teacher. There is lots more to do and spend your money on. Not just continually work your way through the one almost decent restaurant in a 30 mile radius

20. The_Mountain_Fox

The_Mountain_Fox Well-Known Member

You guys needn't worry, he will probably chose West Ham providing they bid £12 M plus a prawn sandwich. As for you guys belittling Leicester, yes it may not be the prettiest of places but it's diverse and quite pleasant in general. Anyway I live in the county and I can assure you it's just as nice as anyway in the south east of England without the stupid expense!